Dev blog: Changes Coming To The New Eden Store With The March Release

Well, to be fair, if they released them at the same price players would piss and moan about how CCP is devaluing current supply. :wink:

1 Like

I imagine (would hope?) the program managers looked at the costs and benefits of improving the UI to support an expanding item lineup, and perhaps decided that cutting items and more frequent blowout sales would make more money. Developer time? 5 minutes or less, to edit an item table.

1 Like

Yeah, but that’s a short-sighted and short-term analysis. Improving the UI is far more effective in the long run.

They need to retire all the clothers too, no need for them now!

No less reason than there’s been the entire time. CQ was never the reason people buy clothes.

You know, CCP takes no lessons from nobody. They sure can figure how to run a virtual store with the same industry-shattering skill with which they run their RL swag store.

I wonder, what will be the value of a SKIN from 12 months ago, compared to the latest SKINs in market? What would you pay for last year’s fashion IRL? And how do you even know the SKIN exists without bwowsing the ingame market, which is way, way, way messier than the NES?

“Dude, I have this supercool SKIN… just browse through 800+ legacy items at the ingame market to see how, all in all, the lastest SKINs in NES are cooler than my old stuff!”

Changing RL fashion each season doesn’t makes it more valuable over time. What’s truly valuable are fashion items with artistic value… but those are scarce. CCP is just misleading players into buying SKINs with the hoep that they will be more valuable in the future, but that will only be true for a few great SKINs and most will just become wardrobe junk once retired from the NES.

But so is CCP. always reinventing the wheel as a irregular polygon just because !!CCP!!

I very commonly buy skins, when I can afford them. While not required, in any way, it is disappointing that I have a timetable to purchase 30+skins over 9 accounts…it just unrealistic and while I love Eve, its really frustrating to lose the ability to have the immersion into the game because skins go away. I cant even pay for many because they cant be extracted…it is simply content lost forever. This is a silly decision.

1 Like

When are they going to start making racial clothing that is unique to one race instead of just using the same asset and recoloring it for each race.

You give the races unique clothing in customization and creation but everything on the store is just pallette swaps.

Empyrean jacket is cool and all but how is it different from a curate coat? Ill just switch between my black coat and that occasionally but theyre the same thing.
It’s just a recolored curate coat cause you guys never make anything new. Just recoloring t-shirts and trucker caps for events I stead of making actual new assets.

1 Like

Hell, I’d like to see more traditional attire. I can’t imagine formalwear among the Caldari is at all similar to that worn among the Amarr, or traditional Matari clothing, or, you know… whatever those Gallente freaks do when nobody’s looking. Probably a big stoner nudist camp or something.

2 Likes

The old gallente use to be age of Aquarius style hippies in the character creator. I imagine lots of lightly colored robes and such.

It’s just such a waste.
They never added the dust drop suits, you could make all sorts of cool cclergy looking stuff for amarr, robes, high colars, vestments and sashes with more crowns and hair pieces like the spikes one for girls.
Minmatar could have some cool repurposed mining outfits or more diesel punk kinda stuff. They seem like a sort of leather jackets or thick denim stuff. Caldari sleek and formal suits that are reflective and whatever kind of abstract stuff they can make for gal.

A simple Google search turns up troves of cool stuff

9b402baf8d8dbaa013ab1291f4bcedf8--character-concept-character-art
but instead hey heres a modern day trucker cap with a decal on it in the year 20000 something.
That last pic really hurts cause there’s no thick beards in this game either.

The art team is either very restricted in what theyre allowed to do or lacking creativity. When did the Hephaestus outfit come out. That was a good one.

It’s sad from a roleplay perspective. they don’t put any effort into it and even the character creator is dated nowadays since it first came out and they completely gave up on Wis and have just pushed more microtransactions since instead of adding clothing in game for free in customization or as loot drops/faction rewards to put on market/ Black desert is especially noteworthy.

11 Likes

love the last one, looks like a white wizard

You know who’d look great in that last one? Max.

1 Like

See this is why the forum desperately needs a block feature, I don’t want to have to look at weebs and their weeb cartoons

In the first part you’re right, but every game company seems to do re-textures. Nothing unusual in that. Making new 3d models is a time-consuming process: once complete, they have to test each new outfit (top/bottom/shoes etc) in combination with others to look for unwanted clipping / overlap problems. The more outfits you have, the longer that test process takes. This extra step probably makes it more expensive to develop new clothing items than new ships, because they don’t intersect with each other.

In the second observation, your first thought is correct. They have a vision (style guide) of what EVE should look like, and rarely go outside that box. (Check out some of the past fanfest art panels in these playlists.)

This is not to say I agree with all the choices or limitations; you’ve found some neat outfits that could work in EVE & who knows a CCP artist may take inspiration. The main hold-back I see is the expense of making & testing complex 3D shapes, versus re-texturing what they have. Players are buying a lot more spaceship retextures: ships are what we interact with all the time, compared to character stuff.

1 Like

Shorts. Skirts that hang a little loose, or have gathers (or are shorter than ‘an inch above the knee’! Anything but more damned pencil-skirts!). An actual dress that’s a dress. None of these things would have significant clipping issues.

There’s like 1 set of reasonably casual shoes, and it’s camo. Even just reskinning the damned Hephaestus Keds™ so they work with more outfits would be a help.

5 Likes

Clothing apparel only makes sense if your aim is to have 3D avatars or you think avatars are relevant. And CCP actions prove otherwise. The default forum haves tiny, round avatars that pale compared to the old ones, and not the less, you can’t see a full resolution version of someone’s avatar in no sensible way, compared to just clicking and zoming at the old forums.

CCPs actions are phasing out avatars. And wih CCP, it’s never what they say, but what they do. No CQ, smaller avatars in forum, and they never were a thing ingame… they’ll be gone in one way or another, sooner or later, and not necessarily to be replaced with somethign better. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I recently tried doing clothes in 3d. I have to admit for me it is more complicated than doing 3D spaceship modeling or just some texture painting on a ship. Clothes are elastic, have to be animated in its entirety, must have stiffer and softer parts. If only one person makes clothes, its something very slow. But accessories doesnt have as much work needed, especially hats. I think we should see more hats. And hats are good for avatars because they are very visible. :ok_woman:

3 Likes

That would only hold true if CCP made unique clothing items for every new fashion line. This is not the case, however, as most clothing are just the same model with a different texture.

What if we made some clothes as the public with marvelous designer and asked only a % of Isk from purchases of those items :stuck_out_tongue: then we can have a more diverse clothing line :slight_smile:

1 Like

Idk who max is

1 Like