Dev blog: Clone States - The Next Steps

Yes they do, like violet light and radio waves are on different ends of the spectrum. Yet, you keep talking about violet light and red light. You are still talking about what are basically consumer products. Eve is so far past what you are trying to talk about you can’t even imagine what sever costs are.

If sever cost is a fixed cost, you’re still stilling at the kiddie-table. CCP isn’t sitting at the kiddie-table, 20-40k simultaneous connections doesn’t work the way you think it does.

Either way, this discussion is completely off-topic, as the only relevance was if Alpha and Omega accounts had a different cost to CCP, which we agree they are the same cost, so it doesn’t matter what that cost is, as long as it’s the same for Alpha and Omega.

1 Like

Well i give up you’re not actually paying attention to the examples i’ve given you so i’m not going to continue to explain the difference between physical hardware that you OWN in its entirety which does not cost you more to operate at 70% load than it does 20% load, bandwidth costs are not the same as server costs, yes higher bandwidth will cost you more but we’re not talking about their numerous backbone connections thanks to the datacenter they use in london we’re talking about TQ costing them the same to have switched on regardless of the number of users which are connected

But anyway you have fun with this topic

You are correct, “bandwidth costs” are not the same as “sever costs”, but we haven’t been talking about “server costs” but the cost of “sever load” which does include bandwidth costs, power costs, cooling costs, and everything else involved in actually letting the severs do their job.

With your home PC the tech becomes useless before the hardware fails, this isn’t necessarily true in high-load computing, Load effects lifespan, which effects cost. Load effects power and cooling, which effects costs, load effects having people to physically replace hardware, which effects cost.

This was what you have been arguing against:

Three general classes of expense: “overhead” - fixed costs that generally don’t change based on the amount of business done; “dev costs” - the, mostly payroll, costs of designing, improving, and testing the game; and “server load” - the technical costs required in operating the game, because this is a “load” cost, it is, by definition, dependent on the number of users.

It’s clear that you have never worked in the hosting/data centre business, and although your amateur opinion of how you think things work has been amusing, it hasn’t been informative. Trying now to redefine the conversation doesn’t help either, and as we can see from the start of the topic, it has never been what you are now trying to define it as. But maybe you didn’t understand the topic to start, because you don’t know anything about costing high-load computing.

Just as a pro tip, I would suggest you never try to get into bitcoin mining. Because anyone who thinks “once you buy the hardware, there is no load cost” will fail especially in such an endeavour. This is actually the main reason people financially fail and mining, because they incorrectly think, like you do, that high-load computing and there PC have anything in common when it comes to load costing.

As I said before you can’t even “see” the topic, because Eve is working in “microwaves” and you’re still talking about “visible light”. By the way, did you know the NSA in Ft. Meade will replace 2-5 servers a day because of the hardware physically failing from the server load. That is really the “different end of the market”. Obviously CCP isn’t the NSA in terms of processing power, but their “server cost” model is a lot more like the NSAs than anything you’ve suggested.

If you actually care to learn more, you can private message me.

1 Like

I see one skill that imho should be higher: Social (to L4, to enable Fast Talk skill)

CCP does not want new players to do boring ■■■■. Also CCP does not want you to bot with alphas miners, nice try.

Because you would be able free train a astero/stratios char that would never have to train above 5 mill skillpoints and could be a really huge isk faucet. This is bad for CCP and they would never earn any money of this account.

Oh ya it really sux, you can AFK farm on free boting accounts

Oh ■■■■ how did’t CCP think of this. How could they have been so stupid not not realize that 100% of eve players players small frig pvp with the same fitting as you. Eve is dead plz send my all your stuff.

I think you need to get yourself one of thous things called a JOBB

What are you talking about? You don’t like current game mechanics that allow people to steal your jet can?

Yes and whats your point?

Did you not have fun playing eve for the past 14 years?
Also give me your stuff when you quit thanx.

1 Like

You are too young to use the ‘give your stuff phrase’.

And that’s why they implemented boring Resource wars for miners, riiight.

Those filthy botters can still do what they are doing with much better results on ratting VNI or soon-to-be-available T1 Battleships. So what was your point again?

They don’t have 2 do the mining part, they can do the fighting part.

My point remains the same mining is boring activity for new players. If new players start mining instead of Mission running or other action based activity they might as well uninstall.

I have a request for CCP. The new Alpha Clone state will introduce something that does not currently exist on either Alpha or Omega clones. There will be a skill point budget for free training. For example I currently have an Alpha Clone character on which I trained,

Industry V
Electronic Upgrades IV
Mining Upgrades IV
XxxDestroyer IV

I have absolutely no use for these skills. I trained them because there was no reason not to train them. As the system exists now, you run out of trainable skills before you hit 5 million SP. Now these useless skills are consuming skill points that I could use to train skills that will become available in December that I would find useful (eg XxxBattlecruiser IV).

So my request to CCP is to make it possible to “forget” skills that have already been trained. It would be nice to have the skill points returned to the character in some manner, but I recognize that this could be abused if it were not done carefully. So I would be happy to just lose the skill points. The alternative is to biomass my existing characters and roll a bunch of new ones, so I can budget their training in a way that makes sense given the new pool of skills for Alpha Clones and the 5 million SP free training limit.

This seems like it would not sit well with the whole immersion concept. And besides, I like some of my existing characters, even if they are lowly Alpha Clones.

1 Like

CCP have talked about a battleship revamp as well as some other balance changes, one such change listed was apparently larger cargo bays (Which I support.) If they make the Ice Miner fitable to any ship, like the basic ore miner, you can have ice mining battleships!

I’m actually envisioning someone with only enough cargo space for 1 block staggering 8 ice mining lasers so they have enough time to transfer the block into an Orca or other hauler before the next cycle finishes.

Actually, that sounds like a wonderfully silly ‘mini-game.’

Wondering about ice harvesting. As of now i can fit Ice Harvester Upgrade 1 now but can’t fit Ice Harvesters on any alpha ships. Will you be introducing t2 ventures or t1 barges? or is this just a boo boo and no one really knows yet?

P.S. I think Battleships are a bit overkill for alpha.

+1

for now i have galente alpha drone VNI
and i need to have alt alpha caldary just for for Tayra

I’m not convinced letting alphas loose with 9K Alpha strike Tornados is such a good idea but i’m sure ccp will have thought about the ramifications.

1 Like

I find it most interesting that CCP is coming up with more ways to ruin the in game market by having more area’s in the market for alpha’s to access. now dont get me wrong all in all its a great idea to try and get more people to play as it is a business and money must be made to keep the doors open but the in game market needs to be looked at while working on alpha’s because weather you notice it or not they affect the market as much as the guys with 40 accounts running them all in unison. The market has become a mineral market and everything is over saturated. reform is in order if the game is to survive with alpha’s.

Having been a part of the great eve community since 2009 i have watched it change and over the years it has brought me many hours of great joy but also pain. I look forward to seeing new people coming into the fold as alpha’s but we all know that sadly a bigger percentage of them are just

another box

“Have you ever just undocked, stared at your ship in all its glory, and admired it?”

Kitosa