Dev blog: Introducing Resource Wars

Ahh so your going straight to top tier, where you may or may not be able to use exhumers - Aside from the first tier requiring rookie ships we don’t know what ships are used for each level.
I would imagine killing the rats would be a requirement, otherwise why have them at all?

As for Devs applauding when gankers get concorded, would you care to explain what reason they would have to applaud? It is a legitimate game mechanic - Which if used enough could completely render all the work Devs have put into creating this “group content” as a non starter. Or at least see a lot less use than hoped for.

A fleet of One - Of course there are ways to avoid it - Devs set a minimum number before the fleets goes to the site.
There should also be a restriction on joining a fleet after it has started a site. Otherwise people could just wait until the site is nearly completed, warp in and get LP.
I do so hope Devs have taken all the workarounds and options to abuse this thing into consideration…

Luv this, on a forum where you CAN’T send personal messages the system recommends you send a personal message…

Consider replying to more people

You’ve already replied 3 times to @Arrendis in this particular topic.

Have you considered replying to other people in the discussion, too? A great discussion involves many voices and perspectives.

If you’d like to continue your conversation with this particular user at length, send them a personal message.

2 Likes

The procurer is a perfectly fine droneboat combat spaceship, and the more that CCP encourages the idea of the fiesty fighting back miner, the better. Its quite responsive to drone interfacing skill, t2 light drone skills and drone damage amps.

2 Likes

But there is more than mining and shooting rats in EvE, right?

If I remember correctly the career agents cover also hacking, industry, and market. Especially the profession sites and the ability to scan and hack are far more important skills to learn than mining.

Why is everyone at CCP so obsessed with mining and shooting NPCs, these are the least interesting things in EvE to do IMO.

3 Likes

It’s been my experience that quite a few of them go right back to doing what they were doing as if it never happened.

2 Likes

Yeah, the personal message thing is… “great”. Especially since we can’t access eve-mail like on the old forums.

As for people getting LP when the site’s nearly completed… who cares? If everyone’s getting the full value of the site, who gives a damn what someone else gets? I get 100 out of a possible 100, you get 100 out of a possible 100, the guy who warps in and does one load gets 100 out of a possible 100 and maybe tags along to make the next site go faster. There’s nothing wrong with that.

In fact, that’s how you make the sort of tool CCP’s been describing this as: a way for people to get into the social groups. You make it as easy as possible for new/single players to get involved, in the hopes that they can meet people, talk to them, and make those social connections. Congratulations, you’re complaining about the tool working!

and yeah, ganking is a legit game mechanic. And since this is all only in HighSec, ganking is a legit game mechanic that results in CONCORD. So why wouldn’t the devs applaud? You gank the miners, you get blown up by the cops, your buddy warps into the site and scoops all the loot. But the simple fact that there’s intended to be combat ships in the site means your buddy scooping the loot gets flagged, and maybe gunned down by the defense fleet, for even more PvP explosions.

Meanwhile, the miners get to see their buddies defending their stuff and killing the gankers. It’s still possible to gank, but it’s by no means without risk. So again, what’s the problem?

3 Likes

New content announced to be for PvE players, biggest criers are PvP’ers wanting to ruin new content for PvE’ers. Gee whiz, why do people keep leaving, I wonder? rofl

8 Likes
  1. Sites are beacons in space, how do I know can I enter one? There will be tiers shown?
  2. I’m soloing level V in skiff will I survive battleship waves?
  3. Only miners without combat support (level V), same as above?
  4. Negative reputation towards faction other that I’m working for?
  5. Site timer, 10 minutes?
  6. New factions will have new LP store, what will be there?
  7. Rats without bounties I presume?
  8. Completion mechanism - I warped in at the “end” of site cycle, do I still get the reward?

It’s wrong LP [stores] will be flooded and rewards worthless.

1 Like

Nah, that would be terrible.

We now have what appears to be intrigue/interest from the high sec players, and yet more crying as usual from the gankers.

I definitely get the aroma of change from this. :man_cartwheeling:t6:

3 Likes

random loot generator boxes next they’ll probably ask us to buy keys to open them for a small chance of getting what you want

Horse, I beat the, though thou be-ith deceased already.

I think this thread and the ideas in it are an example of a problem, one that CCP has had as well.

PVE is not hard to understand. You shoot (in this game, in other games is my be ‘axe’ or ‘karate chop’) non-player characters over and over again for some form of reward. All the other aspects, like scenery and ‘backstory’ and ‘how dynamic are the encounters’ are just window dressing , “kill stupid imaginary non-human enemy/receive reward” is the core function of PVE.

The original developers of EVE created PVE (missions, anomalies, complexes and exploration) that completes this core function. It gets you from point A (broke) to point B (“hey, there is money in my wallet”) with a minimum of fuss and even offers a few ways to be made enjoyable for people who are self starters, people who like to experiment, and (in EVE) people who like to screw with others be disrupting their PVE.

Since 2009, CCP has been trying to get ‘fancy’ with PVE. Cooperative pve (starting with incursions), more dangerous PVE (drifters, sleepers, burner mission rats, escalating NPC mining fleets etc) and have even made PVE that invites PVP (clone soldiers in low sec belts, FW missions that show a visible/warpable beacon). Lots and lots on developers hours put into this fancy PVE, and this shows no sign of letting up what with Pirate Sotiyos and now resource wars and Pirate FOBs.

And after all that effort most PVE is STILL…missions, anomalies, complexes and exploration (and mostly solo). CCP knows it, their metrics prove it. None of the post 2009 PVE is very popular with the general PVE community.

But the community is part of the problem, because it’s many of them who say “we want fancy PVE” (right on time, there is a reddit post saying as much, with replies saying much what people are saying in this thread about the need for ‘better pve’, it won’t be hard to find my reply lol).

I hope this new new stuff (Resource Wars and Pirate FOBs) work out, but I doubt it.

IMO it’s really simply to understand what needs to be done with PVE, Crimson Harvest is the prime example. CCP made crimson harvest, it was both simple, open, soloable and rewarding. Everyone I know loved it, it was very popular. The next event was way less popular, and the one that came after (with the nifty dash board) was horrible. Eventually CCP learned that Crimson Harvest was the winning formula, not that over complicated stuff that came after it.

Likewise with PVE in general. Missions, Anomalies, Complexes and Exploration are the examples. Simple, easy, soloable, easy to access, rewarding enough to get the job done and allows for creative players to make different things happen.

4 Likes

Congratulations on the reading comprehension fail. The ‘loot crates’ aren’t random. They’re a way to package multiple items—consistent item sets, mind you—into a single LP purchase. You buy ‘Box X’ 4 times, you get the exact same items all four times. And you get to know what those items are before you buy it the first time.

3 Likes

There is far too many crocodile tears about the “evil gankers” going on in this thread just like there was over the upcoming “ganking apocalypse” that free alpha clones were suppose to bring on. So many players were loudly clutching their pearls over how the content creating antagonists were going to make the game unplayable and drive all the hypothetical new players away based on nothing but their gut feeling, much like we are seeing here.

These sites are going to be some of the most gank-resistant content in the game. Criminals are all but locked out of them, not only because the of the standings requirement, but because deadspace like this prevents warping-in directly on-top of a target and the faction police prevents just taking the gate and slowboating over (and the facpo also prevents just camping the gate). This isn’t anything new however - mining missions offer the same enhanced safety and the number of mining ships ganked in such a mission pocket is near zero. Further, the highsec aggression mechanics are so tilted in favour of the defender that basically anyone not AFK can avoid being exploded in most situations. A 10-minute site that requires active play (no sneaking up on a target) and likely a group (which can provide support to a target) is not very conducive to the normal ambush tactics used by miner gankers. Only large-scale professional, bling-hunter tactics will be used to gank people running these sites, and they are a concern only for fat veteran mission bears who have put too much ISK into their ship, not the poorer newer player these sites are targeted at.

Still, the site lasts only minutes so players will be forced to move around, so they are not completely safe from criminals (or rivals they are at war with), just like no one is safe in this game as intended. Seems like a reasonable balance even if they are more skewed towards cooperative interactions rather than competitive interactions between players. That said, I’m hoping the FOBs are more focused on stimulating competition between players for resources either directly by pew-pew or in a race for the site payout.

1 Like

I have a method in mind for dealing with the permanent highsec dwellers that try to abuse these sites for safe wealth generation, and I will not be disclosing it.

Rest assured that the illusion of safety will remain just that.

The problem is, the method I have in mind will hurt new players using these sites much more than it hurts veteran players and bots milking these sites. Of course I’ll still do it.

Sad thing is, this feature had so much potential to actually see a reason for anti-piracy to become a valid and incentivised form of gameplay in EVE.

1 Like

I have some strategies in mind for ruining people’s day in these sites under the current rules structure, which will be shared with the appropriate authorities (CODE) at an appropriate time.

1 Like

hehe out come the threats and toys…

No one said they will be safe. People just won’t do them if all the fun is purloined by ganks.

You gona get us all with your little gang? This is eve, don’t talk the talk… do your worst.

2 Likes

Why go through all the trouble to break into or interdict these time-limited sites, when resource wars happen every day in easily accessible mining belts, over real resources.

This is a mining side show for SKIN’s that won’t be all that limited after the first few days, and (also probably) - T1 ships and fittings, because this is new-player focused.

I have answers to my own rhetorical question, but I feel like putting it out there.

3 Likes

You can absolutely take a corvette into a level 5 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

There will be minimum requirements to get the full reward, you have to contribute a sensible amount

5 Likes

These also produce fully fitted mining ships, which are not going to remain demand constrained like the cosmetics.

Time will tell how significant this indirect mineral and salvage faucet will be.

Less significant than the same time spent mining in a belt by said miner? So irrelevant.

1 Like