Dev blog: Introducing the Mining Ledger - New tools for miners in EVE Online

That gets into the question of automated defenses, which were taken off the plan for new structures, b/c POS’s gave so many headaches to players (and CCP) trying to get them to shoot the right things.

Really? That’s sad.

Without being an expert, I would have thought it would be pretty easy to tell a refinery to shoot everyone who isn’t listed on the , you know, list. Of cleared folks.

Anyway, I’m not sure rogue AI is unrealistic. I could totally go for rats who panic, and start locking up and shooting random things when they go into low armour. Players do it.

Darkest Dungeon had this right about AI and RPG games. War is chaotic because the psyche is fragile.

You honestly think renter alliances won’t tax members?
Rents need to be paid, if they can squeeze a bit more isk out of miners many will.

And yes, those miners who use refining services do already pay tax on their earnings - Now we face the possibility of paying a second - on the same activity. Pay tax when you mine it, pay tax when you refine it, pay tax when you build with it, pay tax when you sell what you build.
Just how many taxes can and should one industry pay?

On the other side we have those who do exploration - and pay no tax on their income
Ratters who earn bounties and pay one tax
Those who use PI as their income and pay 1 tax (sometimes, most of our Poco’s are set to zero)

I would to an extent argue that freedom of association is limited in Eve, dependant on where in the world you live. Being an Aussie severely limits who you play the game with, especially if you want to do more than solo activities - There just aren’t a lot of decent groups in my TZ, the one I belong to is a decent group but is also not in the “our renter empire is income” league of alliances which means it relies a lot on income from line members.

I’m not arguing for no taxes, just to limit them - 2 taxes on one activity, which will incur additional taxes if you happen to do more than mine and sell the ore.

I’m not in an alliance that has things like SRP, I build caps and fittings to sell to members as cheaply as possible (my way of supporting our group). So adding an additional tax on my activities (a second tax on the same activity) will only impact line members.
I see where groups being able to tax those miners who simply sell compressed ore as a reasonable thing but for the average miner who doesn’t run multiple Rorquals, mining is still one of the lowest PH incomes in the game, that is facing the possibility of additional nerfs to income.

1 Like

Yes, like the CCP response of CCTV cameras on the field. It’s a monitored resource field, and measured right down to the last grain of spud.

Just because you drive by the bank at 3am when noone is there and look in the window doesn’t mean they havent taken a picture of your face, and time stamped that with you taking money out of the atm.

And honestly, no one gives a horse pucky about your privacy in space. If you want privacy go play Fallout 4 and not play online.

If you don’t want to give out your api to join an alliance? Don’t. Go back to hisec or lowsec and live in your own corp. But if you want to play with the big boy blocks, you have to play by their rules. Don’t like it? Go back to hisec or lowsec in your own corp and live dangerously; try to ninja mine and see what happens. You get shot at don’t blame me.

You guys are all up in arms about privacy when it has actually nothing to do with the mechanic. If it was giving your real life home address, social security number and mom’s phone number, then you have something to bitch about, but this has nothing to do with your privacy. you are in an open sandbox massive multiplayer game that has time stamps and logs on it, you’ve already given your permission for CCP to use it however they like. It’s THEIR data, not yours.

So you are confirming CCP is actually collecting information about me and giving it to a 3rd party - Whether I want them to or not.

Now if that sounds dumb to you, I’m sorry but I have concerns about how my information is handed out - Why I delete API’s for those things I no longer need or want to have access to my information…

Not sure how it works - I create an API for a specific reason because I want or need that information to be available to who I choose. Now instead of my information only being available to those I choose, CCP is going to give it to those I specifically don’t want to have it…

I suppose it is pretty dumb to expect that information about my activities will only be used for those things I give permission for…

2 Likes

That’s your choice though. Don’t want to pay tax on that moon? put up your own, but you still have to move your PI through a poco. You still pay taxes on stuff moving through the markets too.

Why should they limit taxes?

Refineries cost money, the services require fuel which costs money. The system requires infrastructure, ihubs and their upgrades. Sovereignty costs money as well. how do you think that stuff gets paid for? Taxes. You are totally naive if you think that your piddly 10% tax on ratting is going to pay the sov bill or the fuel on the citadels for cloning or the level 5 industrial upgrade in the ihub. everybody has got to pay the bill.

If I’m going to put up the capital cost of a refinery, the service modules and maybe some defenses on it, why shouldn’t i expect a reasonable rate of return on my investment? I have landlords to pay, I have upgrades to buy, I have service fuel that doesn’t replenish itself. You’re damned right I’m going to charge a small fee to my slaves…I mean workers… for doing the hard work for me. They are profiting off the minerals they mine. Why shouldn’t I get a cut when I have provided all these glorious isk making opportunities to them?

So leave your alliance?

Once again, this comes down to you having a problem with your leaders, and the way your group is run, not the feature itself.

If you don’t like the way your organisation handles taxes, information, or money in general, you are free to leave and either join one that better fits your views, or start your own. If you are not willing to take upon that burden then that is fundamentally your problem - not the games.

2 Likes

It’s not your data to begin with. And it’s not personally identifiable information, nor is it protected data, ie your real name, date of birth, social security number etc. That is protected information, and is not what they are collecting. You may not like it, but you agreed to the EULA. Don’t like it? The unsubscribe button is over to the left of account information.

I can see that in a wh, but not in known space. “If a tree falls in the forest” kinda comes to mind here. A monitored structure, that has constant 24/7 surveillance on the moon and it’s chunk is going to record whoever comes into its field of view and access its treasure. plain and simple. there is no right to privacy here.

I like this idea. Automated defenses on this structure give me the warm fuzzies.

1 Like

But it’s perfectly ok for you to go and steal someone else’s hard work? That sounds pretty selfish and ‘every man for himself’ to me (oh but it doesn’t apply to you for reasons). I understand that you want to play your game, but everyone else has a game they would like to play too, your ninja mining notwithstanding.

“Nope nope nope your are playing your game, not mine. Yours is not allowed because you tax the working class! Help help I’m being repressed! Come see the violence inherent in the system!..but you can’t look when I steal from you.” :thinking:

1 Like

Seriously people, there are plenty of tools to hide your identity in this game if you want to mess with another group anonymously, evade taxes from your own group or prepare to Judgify another group. There are three characters on your account (and unlimited free accounts now) and CCP intentionally unlinked them in the new API incarnation. If you are going be deceitful and defraud your own group or steal from another, you have plenty of ways to do it without linking it directly to your main character.

But as to refineries tracking the moon ore they create, that seems perfectly reasonable to me. It is an interesting mechanic, that a billion+ ISK structure creates a resource, and that you can steal from it but the owner will know. If you don’t want to be known, you can do it with an anonymous alt or don’t steal that resource, but one of the others that spawn in their space. Trade offs, choices, consequences and all that. Plus it enables new types of cooperative gameplay by providing a new tool for groups to organize with.

The only obvious problem with this mechanic is in highsec where anonymous NPC corp Procurers and Skiffs will swarm over any moon goo fields with complete impunity. They are immune to wardecs, bumping and cost more to gank than the ninja miner will lose leaving no viable strategy to expel them by force or demand taxes, ledger or no ledger.

EDIT: Seems the refineries in highsec will just produce regular ore, not moon goo. Everything above still stands though - refinery owners will have no real way to protect their fields from CONCORD-protected ninjas so I don’t think they will be especially popular.

1 Like

Correction: you don’t care about others privacy, thosewho wanted to ninja mine probably did though. This would make ninja mining itself either a non-starter as an option, or something done with alphas in ventures and NPC corps (if you can get them into the moon fields.

It looks like the supposed ninja mining is less likely is my point.

They’re collecting information about your actions, which could be gathered by people watching you.

But you’re obviously trolling now, so time to stop feeding you.

1 Like

I’d tend to agree, but (in my ignorance) I’d assume system security status complicates the issue a little?

Sometimes you have to say “To Fountain with the sec status!”.

This is one of those times.

There is nothing out in the good moon belts. Except no good ninjas trying to ninja, and big refineries with automated guns.

I don’t think we should over complicate it.

List of players NOT to shoot.

Shoot everything else. Neut em, scram em, pod em too.

Refineries should be able to pod nominated players. The automated defenses should be a real thing, a trap set for for pirates. You should be able to work at setting the trap, and come back to see how many ninjas you killed over a weekend.

Options, a list of players (plus corps & alliances) TO shoot or list of players NOT to…

Or both with an option to toggle priority between the two lists so you can set shoot to a corporation (or alliance) but have a player (or corporation) in it not get shot or vice versa.

I do like options :smile:

I like options too.

The medium refinery has one hard point. No fighters.

One.

Not pew pew, but only pew.

Is there any reason that the corp mining ledger is restricted to showing only what’s mined at the moons?

Because it monitors all mining in those moon belts.

Not just the mining by the corporation members.

Were you looking to have it used as an audit tool for corporations to manage the amount of ore from the colossal anom and the asteroid belts too?

An interesting idea, to keep your corpies honest, but only if you’re that kind of corp that bases their taxes on the amount mined, not through a 10% or activity based tax- mining ops and the like. my corpies, I could give a rats ass about how much they mine. I want them to be richer than me, I don’t mind that at all. Rich corpies are happy corpies.

It would be useful in some way for data collecting and the spreadsheet nerds, but i don’t see it as anything other than that.