Dev blog: Moon mining revamped - There’s Ore in Them Thar Moons

People who are unable to set up/defend a Pos right now will not be able to do so under the new mechanics. Re-distributing the minerals will be an interesting cat and mouse for a few weeks. But even if these kind of people/groups find anything of value, someone will be happy to destroy their anchoring 800 Million ISK structure, which is going to be far easier to find and attack than a Pos.

Ninja-mining could be a small adventure, but I highly doubt it could ever be an profitable endeavor. Reasons see above.

Other groups, who hold moons right now but live in an area where generally mining is not a thing (speak: lowsec) are going to have a lot of difficulties to turn these moons into ISK now. Here is why: in Lowsec you don’t have nearly as much mining as you have in Nullsec, for a variety of reasons (more Wormholes, harder to stop/slow down enemy tackle, generally closer to hostile blops, much less profitable ores, much less stability in mining possibilites etc.). That means most Lowsec groups have no reason to keep a large mining fleet. They would have to create such a fleet now for the sole purpose of mining Moongoo. As a way out CCP could introduce more valuable and more stable Ore mining opportunities in Lowsec plus maybe one of the great reasons to keep a large mining fleet: making it possible to produce Supers and Titans in Lowsec

You mean like an asteroid field you could generate with a structure?

1 Like

Yeah sure. Risk was stupidly low before, Reward was between good and not important (wether you did it to piss of the Moon owners or to make a few 100 Million).

The whole Ninja-Mining idea - as I see it - is supposed to appeal to players who can’t setup their own Moon Operations, because they can’t enforce their Dominance over any kind of space. If they are unable to do that, how the hell are they going to do that in other peoples space?

This is the classic lowsec mining thing, where you get the cause and effect wrong. There aren’t a lot of lowsec miners today because there’s nothing worthwhile to mine in lowsec. That’s it. There’s no other factor in play that affects this.

With refineries, there will be.

1 Like

By “ninja” mining. Doing it on the sly. Paying attention, and profiting from inattentiveness.

I really dont see how 15k m3 meters of ore or so will make great profit for someone. Probably it will cost some good isk, but if it will be worth effort of going in and out is questionable.

How muhc ISK do you expect to get out of ninja operation putting a cov-op frigate at risk?

If you are talking about a Prospect: 10,000m3 Ore Hold. Let’s assume 40M for ship + fitting. If you would want to rake in what you risk, it would mean every 250m3 would need to net you 1M ISK, so that you can leave with a hold full of 40M. That is far above any uncompressed Ore we have right now, but maybe some of the high value Moon Ores will net you that sum.

Unless of course CCP decides to make the Ore volume super small and the contained amount of Moon Ore really high. In this case you might be able to make dank ISK as a true Ninja.

That’s very general, too general. Yes, paying attention is necessary, because otherwise they cannot even start to Ninja-mine (unlike with Siphons). Doing it on the sly: how are you going to uncloak and wait-out for at least several minutes while running your miners to fill even just your Prospects Ore hold “on the sly”. Profiting from inattentiveness is the only way it can work and it means in practical terms: keep an eye on the approximate times the asteroid fields will be created. Check each of them if the locals are attentive or not. Don’t go mining if they are. Get lucky sometimes, most of the time, go home empty-handed. And for what exactly? I mean of course it will depend on isk/m3 on these Ores, but I doubt CCP will make it so that the whole mining will just be sitting there for a few cycles until your pockets are full with billions. I don’t know it, but it wouldn’t make sense if they follow up with their intent to make us waste time to acquire the goo.

Should a single trip pay for the whole ship + fitting cost?

Huh? The main cause is because the Ores are a lot less profitable in Lowsec than in Null, while the risk is also higher. And we can’t (yet) build Supers in Lowsec.

Now they force Lowsec to mine and here you have it, the blatant disadvantage: if we (I live there) are forced to mine, why not give us equal mining opportunities and reasons as Null? @CCP_Lebowski
Meaning: better and more stable Ore and a reason to use it (Supers).

It’s like some other random mechanic suddenly forced Nullsec people to do missions to get their high ticks, because Anoms would be heavily nerfed, but sorry you don’t find many NPC stations. Deal with it. That’s your argument and it only makes sense for you, because you are on the winning side of the change of the mechanics, while others lose. At least admit it.

Supply is the primary concern. Asteroid belts are woefully insufficient for any amount of actual mining. Do you think we in nullsec would mine as much as we do without our anomalies?

Well exactly, that’s a part of it. If we are forced to mine, we should have incentives that are somewhat equal to Nullsec. Stable, planable Ore Anoms for Lowsec and a change of mechanics so we can build Supers. Then it will be alright. Lowsec people might still not like it, but at least from the mechanics, it would not create a huge disadvantage.

The ore supply will increase significantly with the advent of refineries.

You’re not going to be able to produce supers, though.

Or completely get rid of Anoms in Nullsec: if there is no empire, no gateguns, no standing loss, why should anyone pay you bounties?

Or as a transition: if people rat until their eyes bleed, the security status of Nullsec systems should slowly go up, Empire starts moving in and turn it into Lowsec, with all the mechanics and disadvantages.

Do you seriously consider standings to be a mechanic that are worth anything at all? Like, really? Is this real?

I always love the “nullsec should deplete” arguments from folks who have unlimited numbers of L4 and L5 missions to run. That sh``it will come with Mutually Assured Destruction, believe me.

1 Like

Which is 90% of the reason people mine in Null, isn’t it? If some mechanic forces Lowsec to mine, at least give us the tools to make use of these mining chars to make sense of it to some extent equally to Null.

Nothing is forcing you to mine. If you don’t want to mine, don’t mine. We’re certainly prepared to ignore refineries if they end up being a bad bargain.

Who the ■■■■ is forcing you to mine?

Erm in practical terms it is a disadvantage for people who do Lowsec PVP, from defending “your” area to fights in general. Most people who do it, have accepted it, but it doesn’t mean that the travel restrictions aren’t a thing that creates disadvantages, especially for people with less alts etc.

Check the Monthly Economic Report and tell me why - if your argument was right - Lowsec makes for less than 1% of the overall Bounty income.