Dev blog: Moon mining revamped - There’s Ore in Them Thar Moons

Eh, we knew changes to moon mining were coming. The shuffle specifically was a coin flip on whether or not it was happening. I was actually expecting it not to happen, but I didn’t anticipate them adding T1 ores to moons. Needing to add ore to moons pretty much necessitates a shuffle.

That would be great. Different flavors of moon crust strip mining in all 4 areas of space would be so much fun and make the refineries in HS and WH more than just… refineries!

Will the ore restrictions for sec status apply to the moons as well? Like no arkonor in lowsec moons and such?

The pic in the dev blog shows crockite on a moon in a 0.3 system. It could be different at release but it looks like at least some of the limitation would be gone.

If you want to empty Null sec yes . Right now JF are Rorquals are the only reason deep nullsec is viable . The fatigue reduction enables logistics

Ok, so what have been said implies the owner of the structure knows when the moon-part gets mineable.
So you dont need 24/7 presence.
Small parties could affect those mining ops. It also been said that you could visually estimate how long is left to be mineable.

I hope content is created not only around refineries itself, but around mining ops.
I dont know how much static defenses has been stated for the refineries, I hope you need an actual defensive fleet.
I’d hope minig rates for moons gets higher (keeping whole value similar). So it decreases the chore, but at the same time increases the value of ninja mining, or simply attacking it.

This chain of terrible "what if"s was predicated on a fantasy where players would somehow be able to mine out the moongoo before it reached the refinery to explode. It doesn’t represent the actual design.

Ok, so renting would be again a big deal.
For lowsec groups that dont want to mine, rent the moon, to some industrialist in highsec, done.
I, anyway, would hope that you could mine faster. Decreasing the grind for the owners, and making ninja/attacking ops more cost/time efficient. The total moon goo available depends on the drilling timer not on the miners.
I hope, refineries have no defenses, or at least cant defend the moon-chunk.

" The owners will then setup the fracking operation, with larger chunks taking longer time to be drilled from the moon.
The moon drilling module begins blasting a chunk of the moon away from its surface and dragging it towards the structure. This process takes between one and several weeks depending on the choices made by the structure owner. Observers can watch the chunk move through space as a way of estimating when it will reach the Refinery.
Once the chunk of moon rock has completed its journey into space, the Refinery can use its drill module to detonate the chunk into a minable asteroid field. The exact time of the detonation is controlled by the owners of the Refinery within limits. If the chunk is left unattended long enough it will disintegrate into the asteroid field on its own."

From the devblog, so timers ARE in control of the owner, which I think is right.

Rental alliances kinda rely on broken corps to maximize the rent, so requiring efficiency from them via higher rents would probably cause a few of them to coalesce into larger, less broken more rent efficient entities that collectively rent less systems.

They’ll have to be a bit more inventive if they want to keep income constant.

Hey CCP, I have an idea: why not make any and all ISK/income passive, so we can focus on fighting each other and attacking/defending the structures or whatever that generate stuff for us. I’m the Captain of a Starship with a load of crew members. I’m okay with sending the most useless of them to mine in their little ships, while I go and fight.

I can’t tell if you’re serious or not so just in case you are, there are a lot of people who enjoy aspects of this game besides playing space shooty mans.

Wow, why don’t you tell us how you really feel about real humans who enjoy mining.

1 Like

This is such a stupid idea for something so core to the game. Lets make dull content, requiring more manual work than you believe, even duller.

Seriously, is this the best CCP could come up with regarding something no one was really complaining about? The many suggestions on how to make this more interesting would have produced far more engaging content that this piece of ■■■■.

1 Like

EC’s does not give bonus to reprocessing. Neither does citadels unless you fit a rig for it.

CCP have indicated that the effects of Rigs and Structures will be rebalanced when Refineries are released, so that Refineries have the level of Reprocessing efficiency that is currently available on Citadels, and Citadels have less. This is also why they are refunding Reprocessing Rigs with the patch.

Good for them, I didn’t say let’s get rid of this kind of content. Why, if it is fun for them, should they profit with ISK/ressources from it though? Doesn’t need to be bound.

I feel it is not my place to judge what is fun for them. If they enjoy it, they should do it. Same for PVP. Doesn’t mean any income needs to be active. Whoever likes to nudge on rocks can still do that, whenever they want, for however long they want.

Some people enjoy the process of building and creating things in a game.

If all you enjoy is shooting things, fair play to you - but you’d complain if rat bounties were removed, even though by your logic you don’t need rat bounties if you enjoy shooting rats.

1 Like

You’re really not looking at the game in any depth if you’re not seeing how these things are interrelated. Here’s an idea, if you don’t want to nudge space rocks but want space rock money, interact with other humans in a non-shooty way to work out an arrangement.