Dev blog: Moon mining revamped - There’s Ore in Them Thar Moons

Dude Null sec isn’t as dangerous as you think it is. A Exhumer pays for itself in a day there. In my time on EVE I have only lost one in null sec, and it was because I was caught with my pants down. War decs also aren’t a problem in Null. What are they going to do jump 40+ jumps out to null to get to the mining systems deep into SOV territory of one the largest most powerful alliances in the game? Quit being a wimp, and grow a pair.

Maybe that is why moon mining should be in High sec, as it would be more dangerous with ninja miners and gankers everywhere. Wardecs too would add to the experience. High risk = potentially high revenue.

High sec war decs are a joke of a mechanic. 90% of them result in no loss for either side. Of those that do it’s usually minimal.

You mean when PL would wardec Goons, one side would stay logged off or dont leave Jita 4-4 all the time?

And yet needed in order to destroy structures, which can’t be destroyed by ganking them.

For all the joke that wardecs might be for corps that don’t know how to manage them, they are 100% avoidable by players.

Hey let’s log on, and spend the day shooting this POS with subcaps. How fun, and exciting that sounds. Otherwise highsec war decs are still a joke. You spend half your time with your main sitting in a station watching your watch list, and then running locator agents on any logged in WTs. All for about 2 mins of excitement should a WT decide to mine or mission during a war. It’s far more fun, and productive to just roam around low sec or null sec looking for trouble.

Not against high sec wars, but as far as they work there certainly could be changes to make it more fun for both sides.

How does this help at all?

Also, there’s more than POS towers that are shot in highsec. They aren’t even the most killed structure in highsec, not that fun or exciting is even relevant. It’s a required mechanic.

It’s called badly out of date ideas about tactics and game mechanics which show that they don’t actually do this task they are complaining about.

1 Like

Large corporation/alliance also can’t mine moons in HS.

Large corporation / alliance can’t mine moons in HS either.

What kind of setup price are you talking about? Did you somehow miss the point that NOBODY can moon mine in HS? No solo guys, not small corps, not large alliance either.

Hmmm, pretty much yes since those ships have to be anchored in space where there is only player created protection while you can move at will and enjoy the protection from CONCORD.

If you want specialized tools, come where they are available. There is no need to create more mining vessels. Hell, they even created a poor man’s mining boosting boat recently in the form of the porpoise. You don’t even have to risk an Orca anymore.

The game is marketed around war and fights. Of course their attention will be more on places where that happen.

The protection miner get in null sec is player provided. People in HS should probably stop being so damn bad if they can’t do anything when a hot-drop fleet is always provided to them (CONCORD response is usually faster than even goons counter drops) and they still feel they need more protection.

2 Likes

So maybe CONCORD should hot drop null miners if players are too risk averse to do that themselves.

There must be risk. There must be destruction. And it would be actually funny to see nullbears complaining about CONCORD and highbears complaining about CODE. :smirk:

I barely play this game and even I know that rorqual hunting is the new craze that’s sweeping Delve so what are you even talking about?

Why do you want CONCORD to create risk when the players can do it themselves? It’s the player who created the security anyway so don’t tell me it’s out of your reach to create risk.

For more risky risk and for laughs. :smirk:

Actually CONCORD incursions in low sec and null could be a thing to distribute few blueprints of Marshals in future, and in lore it could be justified too. Empires trying to police the unruly capsuleers destroying moons that could be empire’s assets in future. Null should also shift to low and then to high if there is not enough people defending it.

Might be interesting if NPC corps could setup refineries in hi-sec and standings determined who gets to mine the moon rocks - Until a rival NPC mining group turns to fight over the ore.

And maybe a bunch of blood raider NPC miners start to mine the moon rocks in Null with a support fleet in case the owners decide to fight for them.

Or player could do all of that and actually generate interaction between players instead of NPC.

The thing is, if you are in low/null it seems a little to easy and if you are in Highsec you get nothing.

The use of standings could prompt players to do something other than AFK/easy mine and open up legal pvp over the ore.

For example if I have terrible standings with Dulcia Foundry and you are mining at their refinery maybe you inherit their standings whilst you are mining and open a pvp opportunity for me (with some of the mining NPCs thrown in for good measure) .

Too easy based on what?

Highsec gets safety through the mechanics of the game, therefore lower reward for the lower risk.

But where people play is a choice. All different areas of the game offer different things, so if you want something that highsec doesn’t offer (eg. Higher rewards for PvE) then go elsewhere.

I would love to know what you think is easy about low. Certainly not mining, and the rewards aren’t better than high security space in any significant way. For the solo player they’re arguably reduced, since you can’t realistically use anything larger than a mining frigate without support.

Null is only “easy” if you have many hands making lighter work of defense, intel, and support. These are basically the things Concord and NPC stations provide for you in high.

1 Like

It’s the same for low-sec except nobody think it’s worth the effort because the delta between it and high-sec is seen as too small while high-sec can work with next to no effort at all. If it had resources you can harvest for more than 15 minutes before it is depleted, you might start seeing people cooperate more like in null to protect each other.

1 Like

I should qualify this because threads in these new forums seem hard to follow .

I was talking about utilizing PVEVP,
In hisec NPC moon mining operations with standings that allow a high standing with a ‘rival’ NPC corp to open up PVP opportunities with players engaged in mining operations with a ‘friendly’ NPC corp.

PVEVP in low would be the local NPC rats that have been beaten senseless through consistent ratting attacking your moon mining op and taking sides if PVP occurs.

As for Solo moon mining how do you intent to do that ?