Dev blog: Moon mining revamped - There’s Ore in Them Thar Moons

Why not go with the more simple "whoever want to moon mine setup the structure needed for it in all part of space if CCP decide to add it elsewhere than the current plan of low and null. There are already system in place to let people engage each other if they don’t want others to moon mine if it ever made it way to high-sec.

Excellent question as well as a great idea, especially for solo / small gang players.

:thinking:

I think you might be on to something there. Definitely would add more content. However if implemented, it should be more of an exploratory type mission in which the player keeps everything found there.

Processing moon chunks…

Chunks…

Within chunks…

Marker.

Our salvation.

And our death.

CCP, you better repurpose CQ into something incorporating walking with guns in stations when something goes… wrong. :wink:

1 Like

I think overall this is a positive change. I do have some concerns though.

This looks like it will have the potential to be positive for small gangs to own moons for profit, which is awesome. It does however cripple lowsec large alliances isk making, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but I don’t think it cripples nullsec nearly as much.

The downstream concerns I have with this are that occasionally the null blobs like to come to lowsec to fight, but right now Lowsec can hold their own, and reimburse if they have losses. In the future, the only real income lowsec alliances will have will be Pocos (please make this non passive too), so lowsec has the potential of getting curb stomped from groups with much higher amounts of ISK at their disposal.

Anyways, thank you for the change. I am looking forward to it.

2 Likes

this is true enough, as i recall.

Even so, the goons are a malignant cancer in the lower crack of humanity.

I’m not prejudice here. I done seen it. Goons have happened to me. I was there.

Death to goons.

1 Like

So true. Null sec is safe sec. I only get nervous in high sec now. All those folks, what are they doing?

I don’t trust high sec folks.

Death to high sec.

btw, moon mining changes are an uber nerf. But who will they nerf more? The big alliances, or the little man trying to build a better cruiser?

In the spirit of the game, I believe the goons will be nerfed less because they are goons and they solicit nasty favours from shady CCP staff.

I said it.

1 Like

I think the object of the Great Moon Goo Nerf of 2017 (hereafter the “GMGN’17”, or “the Nerf”) is to drive up prices of everything that isn’t tech 1 and made from minerals.

The folks who will win bigly are those who already have moons, and who have been stockpiling their goo ever since CCP Whatshisface announced that the Nerf was coming.

As the market responds to the lower supply of moon goo, assuming demand is constant, the existing power players will clean up at the expense of massive inflation for the scrubs who pay CCP what’s face’s wages.

It’s outrageous, is what it is. I need to go and lie down in the dark, and stab my goon doll in the eyes with my special hating fork.

2 Likes

Source your quotes

I’ve got mine ready for Low Sec Ninja Ops. Can’t wait :grinning:

1 Like

I understand the need to get rid of POS code and delete it. However, I don’t understand why you are trying to make moon mining mechanics like rock mining. A lot of eve players, especially in null and high sec, despise mining as an activity.

Why not instead simply make the silos and mining device small size deployables which work like a mobile depot instead of needing a pos. Make it a single moon mining gadget. When it gets reinforced, it is just like a mobile depot. In 24 hours, it is vulnerable, or someone can come pick it up and redeploy it.

No need to build a giant refinery and have pieces of moon dragged into space with people trying to mine. Just drop little stand alone small size slurpers, and let us run around and shoot them. Have them not report in when they are attacked - only when they are killed.

2 Likes

Removal of passive income. Shooting tiny structures doesn’t create meaningful fights. Might create a little bit of solo pew, but not a lot.

3 Likes

btw, moon mining changes are an uber nerf. But who will they nerf more? The big alliances, or the little man trying to build a better cruiser?

Lowsec ex-CEO chiming in. When you occupy a moon for an extended period of time, to a lot of people wold say you are no longer a small guy. At the very least you can assemble a fleet and defend a structure from your average hisec merc corp. At the very least you have the finances to fuel your structures indefinately, at the very least you have dependable transports running between the moon and the market / buyers.

This also means your materials are corp property and belong to no one in particular. Only certain trusted people have the required permissions to touch the stuff in the first place. It seems to me the minimum skeleton crew to work a moon just got bigger. It depends on how many miners you have, how trustworthy they are, and how willing they are to work for secondary benefits.

AFAIK you’d need multiple, different moons to actually gain all the materials required to build a T2 cruiser. We always sold that stuff to a manifacturer who made a little profit if we weren’t too greedy with our prices. This “little guy building better cruisers”… sounds like a typical client to me. None of us is getting nerfed because we’ll just include the price of labour and charge the next guy in line. In the end, the person who is most negatively impacted is the guy buying that T2 cruiser from the market.

The price simply includes more labour.

5 Likes

Its really far more complex than that. The value of goo depended on scarcity combined with cartel behavior to sustain upper end prices and fuel to limit lower end prices, and capital since reaction farms are capital intensive.

If the final result of this is that there is more rare goo in circulation then scarcity price could easily be reduced, likewise if its harder to cartel, cartel influences may diminish on price. If the scarce goo is the majority driver of the price of a T2 hull, then they may in fact reduce in price, even though miners are getting paid.

Also all of this information is going to reveal itself slowly in an assymetric fashion to the whole marketplace (ie mega entities like goons may be able to survey most of the galaxy, and be able to act accordingly), the rest of us might know whats in some constellations at most for weeks and months.

2 Likes

How many billions of ISK do I need to spend to be able to use and operate this feature ?
In which null sec alliance/coalition do I need to be part of to use it ?
What is the nightmare logistic I need to be putting in place to activate it and maybe see it ?
How many hundreds of ships need to be formed up in fleets to be able to use it ?
And how many millions and millions and millions and millions of skill points do I need to use this feature ?
To how many mega-alliance-CEO’s is this feature targets to (10?) ?
Is this going to be something like Blood Raiders shityard which I only got to see on SiSi during mass tests ?

2 Likes

Price of refinery + drill module + fuel for drill module + whatever ship you want to mine with.

Technically none

See first answer. On top of that, add some hauling to get your materials to market.

Minimum is 1.

Corp management skills to get a corp and anchoring skills to anchor the refinery. Add mining skills to mine the rocks.

None directly but their alliance as a whole will get affected in some way.

Depends on the amount of effort you are willing to put into it. You could mine someone else’s field for example if they are not paying attention which would limit your investment and put the barrier of entry to interact with the feature pretty low.

1 Like

Actually, CCP has already indicated that the moons will have a greater variety of materials. And only needing one refinery to do all your reactions means lower costs and less labor than maintaining an entire POS farm.

1 Like

How is it less labor if you actually have to mine the stuff before reprocessing as opposed to the current system where the mining array does the actual mining?

1 Like

“Them thar moons”

who do y’all let name the dev blogs? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Select the text you want and click the word “quote”

1 Like

The small refinery is missing in these plans. People that set up a few small POSes before to do solo or small group (less than 10 people) moon mining won’t be able to do it anymore. The costs of setting up serveral medium refineries will be huge and on top they won’t be able to defend them at all.

What’s missing is a small refinery that is somewhat expandable (costing around 100-150 mil) and provides the very basic needs for safety (tethering, maybe docking), defence (a few guns), temporary storage (ore, ships, modules) and refitting.

2 Likes