Dev blog: New Alpha Training Option

@nit_ram Sort of. Paid multi-training already exists. It just means Omega can’t alpha train and omega train simultaneously for free, which isn’t new and doesn’t really have much to do with this feature.

@Ima_Wreckyou I’m starting to think that use case scenario isn’t that big a deal, considering the price differences between plexed accounts and subbed accounts. Also consider people already don’t do 100% efficient skill plans, and also that they risk losing SP in this case if they don’t get a chance to log in to alarm clock plex. I think people will try it, obviously, but I don’t think most people have the personality type to keep it up.

Not a problem.

If you want to train all three toons with injectors the cost will be 600 plex per toon… or 1800 plex per month total.

MCT is (I think) 500 Plex? Slightly less? So you’re still looking at 1500 plex to train 3 toons on an account per month by going omega and using MCT.

MCT is 480 PLEX so it is much cheaper to go OMEGA and use MCT instead.

FYI.

Just want to add, using my main in Alpha, I can’t train the newly extended Alpha skills which I do not have. I can put it in queue but can’t start it because I exceed 5mil skillpoints. Main is sitting at 70mil.

So while I can inject those new skills that has been unlocked and inject it, I can’t start the training unless I go OMEGA or apply injectors.

This means the 5mil skillpoints is the cap for everyone in Alpha, regardless of what skills you put it in. If you are previously an Omega and only train industrial skills more than 5m SP, too bad for you as you can’t add anymore SP for free.

So best advice is to specifically train those 5m SP plus other utilities to full use of the ship you want. Don’t train up to multiple BS using your 5mil free SP and not train any guns for it. Because anything more than 5m SP needs to be financed.

Edit: Really enjoying Alpha now with my main. The T2 drones and med weapons really made it much easier and less frustrating to play.

I agree with you 100% remember when we had the captain’s quarters, or when we were gonna be able to roam in station… that got shot down after years… when they touch the code, (knowing how code works myself) one new line can change the end result drastically.

Prior to the new alpha training options, I trained everything I could, including skills I don’t care for.

Now, there are new (BC/BS) skills I’d like to train.

But I can’t, because my 5M points were spent on stupid things I don’t care about (industry, trade, leadership).

If I were to graduate from the academy today, I could train those new skills, but as an existing Alpha clone, I am forever stuck with SP locked away in useless (to me) skills.

Am I missing something, or did all the existing Alpha clones (true Alphas, not lapsed Omegas, or daily-SP buyers) just get screwed out of participating in the new content?

1 Like

except for the new alpha injectors, pretty much. CCP hasn’t commented on this, so there’s no way to know if they consider this a problem.

No you are not screwed. It is working as intended.

Alpha can only train for free up to 5m SP. Anything more have to be paid either by injectors or subscription.

And yes, because you trained all the unnecessary skills previously to a max of 5mil SP, you lose out on the chance of training the new released skills for free.

Newer Alpha clones created can tailor their free training to maximize what ship they can use and how well they can use it without training other skills they don’t need.

If you really intend to stay free, then I suggest you create another clone and tailor build it to suit your needs. It is free anyway and you can make several clones for any specialty you need.

I bought a car 12 months ago…

Since then it’s been given a facelift and better specs etc. Should I now feel entitled to a refund or something?

Things change in life, games, car manufacturing etc…learn to live with it.

1 Like

Just create a new toon and train that as you like, using your current one in the meantime until the new one is trained up enough.

No you are not screwed. It is working as intended.

FTFY:

Yes, you are screwed. It is working as intended.

The best of the new content is “just barely” accessible, and accessibility is not well distributed:

• A new Alpha will have to train up weeks of support skills.
  • A maxed Alpha or a Lapsed Omega with non-alpha skills is stuck using injectors 1/day
  • A partially trained Alpha can use training time time AND injectors (half the time to access as a maxed Alpha)
  • A lapsed combat-focused Omega can use the best of the new content now

A subset of players with the most invested (lapsed Omega with combat skills) have the best access. This is good. Those with the least invested (new Alpha) have the longest wait for access. This is also good.

The thing that’s jacked up is that a maxed Alpha or a lapsed Omega with non-Alpha skills has less access (longer wait and more ISK required) to the best new Alpha content than an Alpha someone half-trained. It is as if we required all Alphas to inject into the full set of original Alpha skills before they could start injecting new and desirable skills.

It’s not the end of the world., and I’m not in the least salty, only pointing out a flaw in the design. We’re talking about a difference of a week or so and the equivalent of a few hours of exploration in ISK… But it does offend my sense of justice that some half-trained Amarrian slaver gets to fly a battleship with half the wait that I, a dedicated warrior for the tribes, who trained diligently, experience while advancing at the rate of one injector per day.

you do know you train faster with an injector than they do with alpha sp.
also if you intend on full time training, just actually go omega for a month or two, it’s cheaper.

1 Like

About the Daily Alpha Injectors i saw in promo today. CCP congrats, best way for you guy make money and go directly to create a big solid player data base. Please develop something interesting for us old players, like change name or change sex, like any other mmo. I would buy that. Sell me somo cool implants on the plex store i will pay with cash!!!
I hope with this pls no more carrier nerf ccp larrakin you are new in this game.

Darkkain your ammar/gallente - boss

1 Like

Yes, where is the compensation for ’ from the start’ paying players from like 2005

Too bad CCP you get into a long line of unpopular developers. Clearly you have not even tried to create a real alternative to the omegas. You write and argue like politicians but not like Dev’s who put their product to the If you wanted to accommodate the whole fair you would have created a way to fit into the EVE universe. It’s all about real money and nothing more.
Shame on you:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Why do we need more than the current alternative (ALPHA)?

You can buy gametime with PLEX and you can buy PLEX with isk. Anyone can become an omega without spending any real life money.

The game is free to play. Grind to make isk to pay for your sub… or use real life money to pay for your sub. As long as people keep buying plex with real money and selling it on the markets, EVE is able to played in full with no real life expenditure.

2 Likes

Farmed 10 Alpha injectors over the course of the recent event - Traded them to an account with 150 mil SP.
Injected the first two days ago whilst in Alpha state for 15 minutes - Now have 50 mil unallocated SP on that account.
I’ll continue to do this for at least the next 10 months. If Alpha injectors stay at the current 50 mil per, it becomes more viable to buy and stockpile them [500 mil for 500K unallocated SP, with no diminishing returns]
Lose 15 minutes of Omega training time per month for 50K SP. *This loss of Omega time can be reduced further if you don’t have crappy AU internet.
500K unallocated SP over 10 months, that cost me virtually nothing.

1 Like

Lena Crews
You can buy gametime with PLEX and you can buy PLEX with isk. Anyone can become an omega without spending any real life money.
EVE is able to played in full with no real life expenditure.

“I mined the ore so it was free”
Time spent has value - current plex prices [500 @ 1.7 bil] - The “real life” expenditure is the time it takes to make the isk to keep your account Omega.
Every time plex goes up CCP loses paying (with isk/plex) customers.
When your leisure time turns into a part time job, it’s time to find something else to do.

While current Alpha structure is reasonable, it is far from a “free to play” alternative.
Ever rising plex prices will keep a lot of Alpha’s from going Omega (CCP’s end goal) as the grind just becomes too time consuming.

This most recent price hike in plex prices has added 10 hours per month to the time it takes me to plex my remaining accounts. Combine this with the additional costs of transporting what I produce to market and the increased costs to T2 manufacturing - A few more accounts will be going inactive as current subs expire.

Have you heard of Darfall Online? They tried a relaunch, didn’t work out too well

The problem with large issues being looked at as separately fixable parts, with long periods of time between them, is that you end up making things worse. Look at the Monthly Economic Reports and try to make something out of it. You’ll realize that by the end of the year Goons will have netted 100 Trillion ISK in Bounties and 150+ Trillion in Minerals from their activities in Delve. While this is not a problem in itself, it is a problem in the context of other issues with the game. Botting - another such issue. While banning botters is happening as far as we’ve heard, player reports (and my own findings) suggest that this is still happening on a large scale, simply because it is possible and viable. You could say that CCP supports the types of profits Goons are currently making in order to motivate more people to adapt the same playstyle, start empires in Nullsec and thus make the game more lively and news-worthy. Fair point, just that it doesn’t happen for a number of other game-related issues. Well, not only game-related, also people related, but the first one can be shaped. If you say “others could do the same”, you are not seeing that Goons and Botters can do this due to profitting from specific circumstances in which profits from now defunct mechanics allow them to rat and mine in relative safety (economically speaking). Others simply can’t do that now. If they want and try, they’ll only run into a wall. People who are asking to nerf Bounties or Rorquals essentially ask for the 250+ Trillion, that Goons made this year alone, to be buffed in relation to those, who might want to try and do the same in the future.

Once there will be a fix for such large issues it normally just means that the problems it caused will be manifest, rather than deleted. When CCP turned moon-mining from passive™ to active™, they reinforced the economic strength of those, who made profits with passive™ mining and could use these to further their operations. The ones that started now to mine with actual mining ships, face a massive time-sink for making similar profits and thereby can never use moon profits in the same way the elder generation used to. When you think about ISK and ressources not just as means to buy SKINs, but to actually re-invest in strategic goals, you’ll immediately see the problem that arises. Every individual fix in the context of a larger issue, can dramatically escalate the issue as a whole.

Why do you think the largest of groups in EVE didn’t complain about the moon mining changes? They’ve made profits from it for so many years, that they could be rather happy about the changes. Their income has been retroactively buffed, as in: newer generations will not be able to make the Trillions over Trillions in the same easy way and thus will have a much harder time building up that Super Fleet, building up their Alliances, grabbing a foothold in the game of null etc. If they try to recompensate for their disadvantage with extra high workload, they now can be easily stopped from mining their moons altogether.

Once an issue has left its footprint in the economic system of EVE, a direct fix will only make things worse.

Finally I will say this: CCP’s slogan to HTFU while being a nice idea, turns out to be reality nothing but a Staying Parole. Just like the “from dishwasher to milliionaire” idea in real life. No one escapes real life, but people who realize that the structural disadvantage in EVE, while being a game, is permanent, could sooner or later lose interest in the game. To compare with other games: in chess you’d sometimes chose to play at a disadvantage in order to keep the game interesting for both the advanced and the not so experienced player. In EVE this difference is set the other way around and thanks to mechanics that always exist for a few years before they are “fixed” and that can be built upon by the already rich, the difference is perpetualized. While that is close to how real life power dynamics work, it bears the question of wether or not it makes a “sandbax” game quite too predictable over time.

To compare: what is a state in real life? Something like a body of institutions which are often semi-democratically controlled but more importantly justified. Let’s say you have a reasonably high amount of people in the real world who would like to give themselves a new such body, because they are unhappy with the current one. In theory they could do so, because democracy, because the basic idea of what a state is. In reality it doesn’t happen, once the division of the turf is settled (after world wars and such). People trying to create new states now will 100% fail (Catalonia, Kurdistan, Uyghurs) unless it is in the direct interest of other, bigger players (Ukraine, the division of Yugoslavia etc.). In EVE, we are not quite there yet, but we already have all the preconditions for a more or less settled division of the cake - all without the complexity and speed of development in real life economics, and the real need to make more and more profit. For a game like EVE to not end up stale over time it either needs exponential growth of its complexity, players not only using mechanics but creating, controlling and changing them on the fly and / or a real economic pressure on everyone. The latter is a basic problem in EVE, since “just being here” doesn’t cost anything and thus destruction or people quitting are the only ways to get accumulated wealth out of the system again. Keeping the crews of various ships alive doesn’t cost anything for instance. If that would be part of a bigger change of the game, it could make things interesting again. The same goes for invention and production. There is no technological progress that isn’t set as a fix set of rules being implemented by the game designers. T3Cs are a small step into the right direction, but in the larger context of things still far too limited and in the end only a drop of water on the hot stone.

A complete relaunch might be a bad idea regarding current players willingness to take the step, but the current way of approaching issues is just buying time.

1 Like