Dev blog: New Alpha Training Option

they still consider it an injector, 1 with a cooldown, and yeah I knew from the get go the whole extractor/injector thing was going to be horrible. I mean after release we had maxed out pilots and I have to put up with people that know 0 about the game and they want to inject into high end ships while not knowing how to fly/fit/uses of them.

I have met some really lazy gamers in my time.

It is not f2p except as a limited trial…so far. I am not sure what the long term goal is at CCP, maybe it is F2P with micro-transactions for all of us. Maybe CCP thinks that skins and other cosmetic items can sustain the game…IDK. But complaining about PLEX which is another revenue source for CCP seems extremely stupid as all firms do this. Your grocer does not sell you food items out of kindness. Nor does your car mechanic repair your car because he likes you. They do it because that is how they too earn a living and can in turn go out and buy stuff…stuff you and I make available for them.

Not quite. It is a round-about way of allowing Alpha’s to have “A Days Worth of Omega Training Time.” The amount of SP is not that horrible. With an optimized remap an Omega can get 2,135 SP/hour. This will give just under that at 2,083 SP/hour and it comes at a premium of 20% the subscription price via PLEX which is substantially above the subscription price. So a player using this is paying a hefty premium to get part of what he could get as an Omega.

Edit:
This claim of “poofing SP into the game” would not be made if the people actually got a an actual day of Omega Training Time. That is they inject this thing, and Poof for 24 hours their training time was that of an Omega. There would be no SP created out of thin air. My guess is coding that in is for :reasons: problematic. So they come up with this, which after 24 hours does the same thing. Thus, the claim of “poofing SP into existence” is largely false.

yeah but ccp is sneaking it that way, they did hire EA f2p experts. less people are paying subs now and even less will do it come December. if I had more time in my day and didn’t have to worry about my cell signal id go back to running on plex and let someone else pay for it. in sub games, subs pays the bills. in f2p games microtransactions pay the bills. with ccp being inbetween lines, subs keep the lights on, while microtrans pay for them to focus on other projects which they have all been quit now minus the cellphone game.

You would rather there was no game?

My God, another person who does not understand opportunity cost…

If people like you ran CCP and other companies we’d all be poorer for it. You, like me, are not going to innovate anything. Innovation is inherently risky. If it works it pays off…big. If it doesn’t it can often lead to ruin. There are lots of attempts at innovation and most fail. All we see are the success and most people therefore suffer from a type of survivor bias.

ok rager, unlike you them id look at things first before jumping in with both feet. a lesson that can be learned from VR because everyone has a vr system set to go…oh wait

Which is why you’ll never be successful at innovation. If it were that easy…then most innovations would not fail.

Or let me put it this way, you are right, but for all the wrong reasons.

I hate the way injectors have made EVE feel now, for me. The knowledge that you can ‘boost’ your character any time you want is always there like a nagging feeling when you look at your skill queue slowly ticking away. I feel like a chump for taking the long way but I feel more of a chump for paying for a boost. A whole year just for 23 million sp, and that’s with +5s. 23 mil is nothing really. Meh…

5 Likes

It would seem that all worries are either wrongly constituted or address the wrong mechanics. Until now tradeable SP are created by Chars with an active Skill queue, meaning someone paid for it with Real money either in the form of a subscription or through PLEX (which could have been traded x-times in between, it doesn’t matter). Now the same thing will happen. Someone will buy PLEX and them or someone else with get SP for it. The argument with “poofing” SP into the game seems weak, if you look at the higher than Omega cost to the lower than Omega outcome. Also, in order to get these 50K SP you have to log in. Omegas get their SP even when not logging in. And they get more. For not logging in.

The only thing that it will have a negative effect on is the specific use-case in which a Char in Alpha Clone State might want to use a Small Skill Injector, though their SP market share is super low anyway and since one is SP creation and the other is SP trade, the negative effects will be minimal.

As I understand it these new Injectors give Alphas an affordable way to progress their Skills similar to how an Omega would, without having them marry the game just yet. If that leads to players staying a few days longer to give themselves a chance in the game and if that in turn leads to more subscriptions, I’m looking forward to it.

EVE is not pay2win because you can’t win it. May there be players who try to win it by buying loads of PLEX, these players will quickly learn that it doesn’t work. CCP does not encourage anyone to spend huge amounts of Real money to inject into this or that.

If you are fundamentally against the upcoming changes, you’d have to be against the entire PLEX system as a whole. Would CCP stop doing that, it would only strengthen RMT (real money trade), because apparantly there are people willing to pay Real Money for PLEX to buy ISK and there are people who are willing to spend time in the game to create ISK to buy PLEX to buy Game Time. CCP is just trying to navigate through that and they are doing it mostly in a good way.

p.s. hi mom, i hate mining

1 Like

They addressed this already, it’s a legacy code thing. Using an injector to fake 1 day of training was the easiest way to do things.

1 Like

I agree. CCP would do right to generally speed up Skill progression either by higher SP rates or merging Skills. People with a lot of accumulated SP would feel salty (even if properly compensated), but it would be good for the game. 23 million was probably okay in times before T3C, Titans and such, but now… nay. I think this is also one of the major reasons for people leaving the game early on, as they see the massive waiting times. While not every Skill is always useful and I’m personally more a fan of “natural” progression rather than injecting, there is no reason to develop all these nice ships if mechanics lock people out of them.

1 Like

All the more reason to re-hire people, but instead of putting them into VR teams, have them create EVE II, with flying in stations, walking in space, riding on planets, gifs in local, catering for your spaceship board personals well-being (creating food), more challenges, nowadays 2010ish graphics and all kinds of other cool things. Best way to fix legacy code is to rewrite the whole thing.

1 Like

Eve online II… would be ruined still cause it would have the same dev’s working on breaking it on day 1… sorry guys… im just being realitstic here…

2 Likes

Well… The difference between F2P and Limited Trial is so subtle that i’ve seen people using both keywords here in discussions. It’s easy when Trial means “full game for limited time”. But when limitation is in skills/modules/whatever then it’s hard to say.

One can say already that “Alpha” is a standard EvE Online and “Omega” is a premium content. And this trick was already used by CCP when they set skill training speed for Alphas to 1/2 of standard and named it “standard” while naming old 1x speed as “double”.

So i guess you can already say that EvE is “F2P with microtransactions”. In this case Alpha = F2P and 30 days of Omega = microtransaction.

1 Like

Fortunately we arent that far yet, since much of EVE content is locked behind Omega.

Yeah, but the borders are already moving. And to be honest i feel that by end of 2018 we will see next set of changes for Alpha accounts.

5 Likes

Hmmm…these might actually have an issue after all.

So, translating SP into ISK/SP we see a possible arbitrage opportunity here:

ISK value of the daily alpha skill injector SP is 1,348 ISK/SP.
For a small skill injector 1,602 ISK/SP
For a large skill injector 1,564 ISK/SP

In short, transferring ISK to a character/account. Letting it lapse into Alpha state, buy a bunch of PLEX, buy daily skill injectors then sell them for a profit by re-activating them to Omega. Of course it will take time (several months) and I have not run through all the numbers, but there is a sizable price delta here…

Edit:
Okay, I did some quick numbers and no it looks like the price deltas won’t allow for an arbitrage opportunity here.

As mentioned (now somewhere in the middle of the thread because @CCP_Falcon made a complete mess by merging it) before:

There may actually be a problem indeed. So once per month you have the opportunity to use an alpha injector instead of a regular one when you drop to alpha when the PLEX runs out, right before you activate the next Month. So you don’t miss any Omega training and get a extremely cheap additional 50k SP.

50k does not sound like much, but if compared to the only other option you have, namely regular Large and Small SP injectors, the problem becomes very visible.

The issue only exists, because there are no diminishing returns for the alpha SP injectors which CCP sells directly from the shop compared to regular injectors. At least the blog did not mention such a thing.

So for a character over 80mil SP the numbers look like this:

• Large Skill Injector: 800mil ISK / 150k SP = 5333.3 ISK/SP
  • Alpha Skill Injector: 60mil ISK / 50k SP = 1200 ISK/SP

That is ~4.5 times the value you get from an Alpha Injector compared to a regular Large Injector (even worse for the Small Injector).

The question is if there is a use-case for this, and I think there is:

• Unallocated SP are a valuable resource to have and with this you can bolster your unallocated SP pool by 600k SP per year for something around ~750mil ISK, no matter what amount of SP you already have, EVE is a game where long-term planing is a thing and therefore I’m sure this will be used if people know about the possibility.

The lack of reading comprehension in this thread is stunning…and depressing. You realize that if you want the devs to take you seriously, you have to have more than a 3rd grade level of reading comprehension, right? :roll_eyes:

Not seeing the items on the NES yet.

So i have found a exploit of sorts maybe, as an alpha account a can use daily injector on all three of the char you can only allocate to the one that is training at the time but you can amass points every day on the others.just switch the training on and off for the toon you want to allocate the points too. and as an omega clone you cant use the alpha injector so you can only train one at a time…