Dev Blog: October Balance Pass!

:innocent:

Kinda like ECM now huh.

define bebefit

bebefit isn’t a word. So no…it doesn’t make sense.

Thanks for making my point for me.

Glad to help. There are always uninformed people spouting non-sense on the forums and I always feel better when I could help them see the better picture. :slight_smile:

@techzer0
Sorry about the typing mistake it should not be “bebefit” but “benefit”.

If you look at 3 other types of EWAR, i.e. target painters, tracking disruptors, and remote sensor dampeners, in all these cases the ship using these modules gains some benefits by doing so.

• The increased signature radius caused by a target painter, makes it easier for the ship using the target painter to hit the target.

• The tracking disruptor makes it more difficult for the targeted ship to hit the user of the tracking disruptor.

• The remote sensor dampener reduces range or locking time for the targeted ship with respect to all ships including the user of the remote sensor dampener.

These are all benefits to the user of the EWAR and not like logistics at all where the remote repairs only benefits the target.

In general EWAR ships are in their current state are designed to benefit from their own EWAR while logistics are not designed to benefit from their own remote repairs. If you want to be able to compare the two ship classes EWAR ships should be changed to not benefitting from their own EWAR, i.e. in case of the above they would not receive any benefit from a target painter, no defense from a tracking disruptor, and no defense from the target reduced targeting range range/bad locking time. If this is changed, then you might be able to compare the design of EWAR ships and logistics.

ECM used to be like other EWAR types. However, from what I perceive to be a badly conceived idea and rushed decision to change ECM like it was done, has left ECM in a bad place that is not balanced at all. CCP chose to implement it the way they did, and now they will have to deal with it. And so far, as far as I can see they are not provided any buffs that even comes close to balancing the nerf to ECM. There have been plenty of suggestions of how balancing could be done, but so far there has been no official feedback from CCP on any of those. While I agree that ECM should not be overpowered it should neither be underpowered - which is currently the case.

Personally, I consider Caldari EWAR ships broken and not worth flying in an EWAR capacity until ECM is made viable again by letting the EWAR ship getting some benefit from its own EWAR, introduces a second type of Caldari EWAR, or changes the design of EWAR ships in general to be in line with the current ECM.

y’know now i look back on it all these changes pale in comparison to the extreme buff they gave to the rorqual and basically made mass production of supers and titans ‘super’ easy.

oh, and citadels lol

Inflation is supply/demand, but of money. Again, if you pump the game full of isk you’re just going to see the higher end items cost more. In other words inflation. But I’m not sure why that’s an issue. Indeed, inflation hurts savers of ISK, ie hoarders, by making your stockpile worth less. It helps debtors but those don’t really exist in a game. What’s the concern with inflation anyhow?

1 Like

Because inflation hurts new players who have effectively lower incomes at that point. Far more than it hurts old players with stockpiles. because they also earn faster.

I’m not sure economists would agree.

untrue, new players only need to buy atrons and rifters, older players need to pay for bigger ships.

So if 2 different ships jam a target that would mean one is preventing you from targeting the other and vice versa ?

Or does the fact you are using ECM mean that your friends jams don’t work and you are simply able to shoot any ship using ecm on you regardless ?

You can attack all ECM ships jamming you.

Right so if you have 2 ECM ships neither of your ships will have any effect at all

But if you’re flying in a gang of 10, the target can’t attack any of the other 8 ships in your gang. Just you and the other ECM ship.

So there’s that. And that’s about all there is.

@Agent_5B
As far as I understand with ECM in its current form, if 2 ships are jamming you, you will be able to target any ships that is successfully jamming you - so in your case, you will be able to target both ships.

Which is what they would do anyway before the change

Except if either ECM boat landed a jam, the target would be able to target no one, not even the ECM boats jamming. Now, regardless of ECM success, an ECM boat is effectively always targetable, even when ECM is on the table.

Sure. I wasn’t trying to say that that aspect is a buff or something, that’s how it always was.

Just pointing out that where it’s a nerf to the ECM ship, the other ships in his fleet are still protected from being locked.

I think it was a silly change, and I’ve never flown an ECM ship in my life.

@Brisc_Rubal
Was it ever considered to make a special sensor booster anti-ECM script that allow a jammed ship to target the jamming ship (de facto as per the current ECM change), but with the added cost of fitting a sensor booster? (i.e. if a sensor booster with the above mentioned script, ECM would function like it did before the change). This should give a 100% counter to ECM while also adding some fitting costs/choices.

Furthermore, some of the general balancing parameters could be associated with the usage of the script, potentially reducing the need to balance each Caldari ECM script individually, and also making ECM viable to some degree for solo players.

2 Likes