Dev Blog: October Balance Pass!

You mention that the interceptors have no direct or easy counter, which I can sort of see, but by the same token a cloaky camper also has no direct counter. They sit at a random point in space cloaked for 23 hours out of a day ( depending on their TZ and activity right after downtime) And when they have time, they look for targets, and without much risk (beyond being baited) they summon in a black ops fleet or a regular cyno and take out capitals, miners, haulers, insert ship here and risk vs reward is mostly higher. Now I don’t dislike the mechanic, and I understand it, but it boils down to the ‘you shouldn’t be safe in space’ and they can be. The other changes don’t seem so bad, but the ecm change had best only apply to ships and not structures, after all, all remote reps on the ecm ship as it’s the only target and the dps is easily mitigated.

8 Likes

removing interdiction nullification from selected ceptors ?

RIP SANDBOX

8 Likes

“Unfortunately, wormholers will be unwilling collateral damage, as they often are, due to the incredible usefulness of HICs for rolling holes. We may address this with a specific mass manipulation module at some point in the future but want to move forward on fixing this broken behavior as fast as possible.”

RIP Rolling HICs.

Once again CCP treats Wormholers like second class citizens.

Grrrrrr!

32 Likes

ECM is now useless in solo fights, this is the best news ever

8 Likes

If you jam fighters can the fighters still attack the jammer? Same for drones?

2 Likes

:thinking:

8 Likes

And that’s a lie. Claws have loads of counters, from smartbomb BS to active other ceptor fleets to Corms to even the most proliferated ships these days, supers and titans, to just cruisers killing them with light missiles. CCP just doesn’t understand their piece of software any longer.

19 Likes

Slightly nerf of fax, but not more = good

Battle inty no longer nully = good

Change on hic = good (we’re still awaiting the overheating bonus to get extra range instead of cycle speed, since your nerfed the range badly)

extra med slot for the tri frigate = good

Change on ECM : inetersting, but doesn’t the ECM deserve a slight buff to keep it balance ? like +5 or +10% on ECM strenght (or reduce shit resistance). Also it is completly killing the griffin navy (made for 1 on 1…)

4 Likes

@Steve_Ronuken @Brisc_Rubal Why cannot CCP introduce mass change module along with october hic changes? We wormholers are going to be in so much problem with proposed changes to hic. :frowning:

If 500mn hic has become such a problem in null space and ccp has beard it for so much time why not wait and introduce module and hic change same time? We might not represent big playerbase but it is going to cause a hole lot of problems with rolling the wh’s.

P.S
I Tagged you coz u seem to be answering right nw. Thanks

21 Likes

Also, can we talk about this:

“As a victim, watching your ship die while jammed without anything you can do about it feels bad. As an ECM user the system doesn’t feel great either when you get unlucky and miss a lot of jams. We would love to improve both sides of this coin by giving ECM more consistent behavior while also toning down the helplessness that comes with being jammed.”

Where is the ‘ECM more consistent behavior’ as I only see ‘toning down being jammed’?

8 Likes

I understand the perspective, but if you are out solo roaming, and you take a fight with a Griffin Navy Issue, you kind of know what you are getting into (or at least learn from the encounter for next time)…

2 Likes

There´s one big looser in the ECM rework. The Widow. As a blackops BS you usually use your ECM against the victim. But with the new mechanic the ECM Bonuses on that hull becomes obsolete. Just keep that in mind…

19 Likes

Let’s be clear - just because it wasn’t addressed in this pass doesn’t mean that other things can’t be addressed in the future.

We were clear in our desire that mechanics that have no counters be investigated heavily.

4 Likes

The Griffin Navy is made for 1 on 0, it’s never been a fair fight in a 1 on 1 unless the other person knows for sure they are going to be fighting it and fits ECCM. Which is hardly ever the case. The Griffin Navy is an “I Win” button in pretty much all 1 on 1 fights.

Though, it holds its own very well without ECM anyway, so it’ll still be a fine ship.

2 Likes

Titans? :thinking:

You and your cluelessness is disgusting, especially when I just mentioned 5 counters to ceptors.

10 Likes

The changes on ECM are pretty harsh, but i guess it could work. When somebody decides to jam a ship he forces the aggression against him, making it a situation, where he is primary for at least one ship. It always becomes a tradeoff between jamming out a crucial ship and losing the ECM completely. That makes the role of flying ECM ships harder and more rewarding, but also gives a good pilot a chance to fight off ECM. Where this change causes a problem is fighters. The way it is now, carriers damage is really vulnerable to ECM. When the fighters with their low sensor strenght are jammed, the carrier can’t do any dps. With these changes the carrier pilot is still able to kill of the mostly light tanked ECM ship. Jamming the carrier instead is not consistently possible due to its high sensor strength. I don’t have an idea to fix this now, but it needs to be thought about. Also remove ECM completely from upwell structures or give it a significant nerf. Right now it is way to opressive, when you can render a logi wing of 4-6 pilots completely ineffective, making structure bashes with less than 15 people nearly impossible.
Random thought I had: ECM could reduce your maximum locked targets to two consistently, when in optimal. The higher in falloff the more targets can be locked. It will make ECM consistent and will make life of the ECM’ed ship really hard. As a logi for example you can keep up the cap chain, but can’t repair any more.

Where I completely disagree is on the HIC change. Yes 500mn HICs need to be nerfed, but losing the mass modifier will result in big problems. HICs are far more often used as a kind of safe options to roll crit holes, than they are used as 500mn kiter catchers. Without an option to roll crit holes the life of people living in wormhole space will be a lot harder and more inconsistent. Wormholers already are in a stressful position, when it comes to logistics and making it even harder will get people to move out of the already densely populated space. I honestly think this change will create more problems than it solves. You talked about wanting to change it in an earlier balance patch, but stepped back from it due to not have an option for wormhole rolling. Please be consistent with that decision. If you really want to change something quickly give oversized MWDs a malus to speed modification on a HIC, but don’t remove mass modification until you have another way to roll crit holes.

The other thing i completely disagree with is the removal of nullification on “combat” interceptors. These ships are the only form of an easy to execute guerilla fleet. Also interdiction nullifier is the most important thing interceptors are standing out for. I recommend another form of nerf for those ships, such as to shift the damage bonus to a ROF bonus on the claw to lower the alpha or nerf fitting to make current arty fits impossible. (Iterate with these changes over the other races, the claw is just the most popular example)

10 Likes

@Brisc_Rubal Have you ever played EVE online ? really ?

6 Likes

Removing nullification from Interceptors? This annoys me immensely and sounds like a stupid idea.

19 Likes

You can 1v2 in a Griffin Navy and remove one of the ships from the equation, using your logic that it holds it’s own well without ECM anyway.

It is too soon to say that changing ECM to not break locks at all on the ECM ship is too heavy handed without a counterbalance? I get where CCP is coming from, but it seems that the math hasn’t been done yet…

4 Likes

it is stupid idea.

13 Likes