Dev Blog: October Balance Pass!

That is the balancing act that has been ignored for too long, that ECM approaches irrelevance as fight size increases, and that it is completely binary (and thus feels oppressive when it works against you) in 1v1 fights.

I’m not against changing the mechanics, but I think this balance iteration is too heavy handed in one direction. As someone else mentioned preserving the lockbreaking, but allowing an immediate relock might help for small engagements, while merely remains as an annoyance in larger fights. My interpretation of the dev-blog is they have more ideas to smooth out the behavior of ECM, but aren’t ready to implement them yet, which is why this feels like a flat our nerf instead of balance.

Ultimately I can be easily appeased if this is leading up to the Caldari/Minmatar pirate hybrid that we have been denied for so long :rofl:

2 Likes

Obviously you are not because you are in CONDI, which is shaping EVE to their liking. Congrats.

3 Likes

What about citadel ECM modules? ECM changes make them quite useless.

3 Likes

Good news. Thanks CCP.
But I think what ECM changes is good only as countermeasures for ECM drones, not against specialized ships.
In my opinion jamm shouldn’t break all locked targets. It should reduce number of maximum locked targets, with minimum of 1 target. It’s will be better than you can lock Falcon which stay away of you in 50-70 km.

1 Like

But on the other hand the ECM is intended to prohibit lock on the other targets than the ECMing ones.
What a mess.

Actually, it would probably be as you posted.

Will this apply to NPCs?

Yep, take that Guristas!

I’ll take it.

2 Likes

Here in Reykjavík we just finished the first summit with CSM 13, and it was a doozy!

Well good for you.

Next up, let’s talk about interdiction nullification!

Okay…

Nullification was added to interceptors almost 5 years ago and for at
least half the time since then the CSM has been advocating to change
things back based on the idea that nullified combat interceptor fleets,
like the very popular Claw doctrines, feel terrible to fight against and
don’t have any clear counters.

Apart from other frigates, fast-lock destroyers, smartbomb battleships, bosons and semi-capable pilots in any other ship.

On the other hand, we saw increased overall roaming activity after
the change and feel it succeeded in giving interceptors a unique and
powerful role that got people out of station and into space.

I don’t know what you mean about the other other hand, but this other hand sounds good, does it not?

We settled on the following solution: Interdiction
nullification will be removed from combat interceptors (Claw, Crusader,
Raptor, Taranis).

Oh right, you said things were looking good, people undocked and had roams. This clearly was unacceptable and needed a solution. Well done.

We very much look forward to hearing your thoughts on this and how it affects your gameplay.

Kudos for the cynicism.

Moving on!

Moving backwards you mean.

We said at Fanfest that we wanted to address bizarre behavior that is
possible when you combine warp disruption field generators and 500mn
Microwarpdrives and now is the time to do that.

Oh yes, finally something that negatively affects so many players. Not a day gone by without 3 copycat threads about the evil of 500mn HICs.

If you don’t know what I’m talking about:

I think I do, do you?

It’s quite broken and has been in the game too long.

Wait, I thought this is about HICs, not about the Rorqual.

Unfortunately, wormholers will be unwilling collateral damage, as they often are

Yeah, it’s sad, but what can you do, eh? It’s really out of your hand.

We may address this with a specific mass manipulation module at some
point in the future but want to move forward on fixing this broken
behavior as fast as possible.

Oh wait, but didn’t you say the 500mn hax was in game for so long? So wasn’t there … like some years to find a way for it? I mean, probably not, otherwise you would have done it, right? I mean it’s your usual mode , is it not? If something is broken, get rid of it right away to avoid irrepairable damage to the game and then work on ways to make it not broken. Right?

And that will do it for now! We have a lot more in the works but imagine this is plenty to process for the time being.

Indeed…

Thanks for reading and see you in space!

Lol, for sure.

/s

How about Devs play EVE with their CSM buddies on a separate server and leave us alone?

Thanks for reading.

32 Likes

Yes goon show us where the interceptor touched you.

First it was drones, now the ishtar is useless. Now they cry about interceptors.

Interrupt their farming operation and they cry like little bitches.

16 Likes

Well as a high sec CareBear I used it to make scary runs to the lower parts to get a small m3 purchase, now I’m sorry I trained for it, extracting skills in 5,4,3…

1 Like

Indeed, RIP Widow. Now turned into a bridge bitch…
The widow tank was his ecm , in what… you could also lose all tank by missing a jam
( resulting in a world-of-hurt )

4 Likes

… you mean “no easy counter for Nullsec cartels and botters” to be more precise with your intentions.

11 Likes

Goon tears. Goon farmers cry more than anyone if they can’t afk farm and well look at the map, they farm more than anyone.

It’s all about the goon farmer.

6 Likes

Taxi ceptor is unaffected by this change.

3 Likes

You Know there are still the non combat variants which keep the nullification? so for traveling you still can use them.

1 Like

This is probably one of the all time best balance passes from CCP.

However, changing the HIC mechanic without giving wormholers a replacement system for closing low mass holes feels really bad.
The changes to the overall HIC meta are good, but please give us a module that reduces mass in the same way that the bubbles did, but sets your speed to 0 to replace the functionality, without making game breaking speed available.

18 Likes

I mean the widow was the least used BO anyway but that´s just sad. For bridging you use a BO with more Cargo so not even a niche for that.

2 Likes

@CCP_FALCON:
I found only one person in this thread, asking about ECM burst modules and no answer. So, re-asking to pay attention to it and may be add to second ECM change FAQ: how will ECM burst work? Will it do the same as now: break locks and that’s it?

And yeah, in case of second FAQ: please, add clear and official answer on ECM vs fighters/drones. That’s one important question.

8 Likes

You may not realize this, but part of what you are advocating for is near risk-free pvp. You would have to be really bad, or your opponent would have to be really good, to whelp a fleet of claws.

Perhaps you should feel less entitiled to roam nullsec near risk-free, and get gud.

Incidentally, nullsec is not the only place where people play Eve - I know, shocking, right? Combat inties are still as effective in lowsec.

Thanks, excellent, but that change is no good, sure doesn’t add or encourage folks, only a + for null.

3 Likes

Unfortunately this is what happens when CCP decides to make changes off the back of discussions where the majority of representation comes from one power bloc looking after their own interests. It is no surprise.

That’s also why there are no capital balance changes and the article doesn’t even mention the Rorqual…

Demetri, what’s so good about it?

13 Likes