Devblog: Account Security Improvements

My next alfa alt will be named Kafka, or Murphy, not sure yet…

From a ict-noob point of view: this is probably interesting and important, (not being sarcastic, realy) but … Realy? I mean, I just wanna play a game…
Seems this game is more secured than my real life. Don’t need 2FA to interact in RL.
I’m probably missing the point here …

Edit: in fact, I do use 2FA in real life . I guess it’s called dubble dutch :slight_smile:

Your real life isn’t as open to the world as things on the internet are.

A big-whopping 0$! Our only incentive is increased account safety, which might possibly save time for our GMs and support people. That’s it :slight_smile:

Oh, and make your online life easier… I forgot about that benefit.

1 Like

Sigh… Guess my next alt will be Kafka, don’t like Murphy…

1Password works on pretty much every device and every browser and most OSes. Not sure what you mean?

Hell, it even has a command line version!!!

True…

The promotion is simply made in an effort of increasing our players security awareness and pointing them towards best practices, such as using an audited, secure password manager. The 1Password promo has zero financial benefits for CCP.

It’s just about you and your account safety It’s not required and as clearly stated in the blog, completely optional and even if you go for the 6-month trial and then don’t subscribe once the time is up, you don’t lose access to the passwords, you simply can’t edit or add new ones.

We’re not selling you anything. We’re offering you a chance to check out an audited, secure password manager in the hope that you might actually see benefit in using it to manage your passwords and 2FA codes to make online life safer and easier for you AND your family.

If you don’t want to, you don’t have to. People who buy this don’t gain anything in-game, except maybe convenience when logging in and hopefully a safer EVE account. CCP doesn’t get any money from this. This is purely us trying to make your accounts safer and less likely to be hacked.

Consider this: If someone hacked your email account, how much could they mess up stuff for you? Does your email contain amazon receipts? Partial CC numbers? Personal information? Bad people can very well use that informtation to social engineer their way into your digital life. Then they impersonate you and take over your identity. Then you have to reset all your passwords, try to reclaim your email account, close your credit cards and get new ones etc…

Now consider another aspect: If a bad person somehow got their hands on your EVE or got into your account, how likely is it that they could use that or some pattern in it to hack into your email account, or vice versa? Or any other account? I’m sure there is some pattern to your passwords if you don’t use some password manager.

It’s food for thought, and frankly, the entire reason we’ve been working on these account security measures.

$5 a month to do what I can with a sticky note and a Bic pen?

And you know what? You can’t hack a sticky note.

2 Likes

Any chance this deal include a floating Nyx?

Also, of cause CCP didn’t get payment or other sponsorship for making this advertorial…
That would be all kinds of illegal.

Security improvements are good.
Using one solution for your passwords and 2FA is less secure.

Use something else for your 2FA TOTP auth; Authy, Google Auth, Microsoft Auth, whatever.

Please don’t make posts in here that are adverts.
The perception will always be that you are getting a kickback for it, and that you think us too stupid to deal with our own security and make our own decisions about what 3rd party, if any, security products to choose.

you are indeed correct, CCP are not selling me anything, just promoting a 3rd party product. so the question is this, , is there a weakness in your security that you feel a need to protect yourselves against? or one we should be worried about that’s promted this promotion of a 3rd party product?

I’ve not just arrived on the planet with no clue, i get how business works, someone offered someone a deal and it’s to the benefit of both parties.

we (CCP) just thought it was a good idea doesn’t wash.

you are also correct in saying we do not have to buy into this if we do not want it, but i must ask where do we stand if we are hacked and we do not use this service?

you want to make accounts safer, force people to create longer more secure passwords, third party protection of passwords is another element of your product being 3rd partied out, like the chat system. what’s next?

also you didn’t address my comment on cost, because you can bet your ass it will not be long before some alliances or corps insist you use this service as part of their security system. let’s be honest here, if ESI came with a cost we’d find ourselves having to pay for that for the same reasons.

Very nice guys! Thanks!

Pretty much yeah, but it’s unlimited sticky notes that you can decide who has access to and they are stored encrypted in a digital vault and you can remotely destroy them if you want. Also, the pen never runs out of ink!

But seriously though, you can of course do all that with sticky notes and a Bic pen if you so prefer. This is just optional, not mandatory and if you don’t want to, you don’t have to :slight_smile:

I certainly do not think you are stupid. In fact I’m pretty sure EVE players rank higher than most other games and services when it comes to passwords, considering only about 11-12% of our players have weak passwords. I’m willing to bet the percentages are much higher for most other services out there.

That doesn’t mean we can’t do stuff better though. This is all about encouraging users to follow modern-day password practices and online security. It’s a fight that never ends.

Our aim is also to increase security without making things harder and you wouldn’t believe how hard that is without impacting user experience in a bad way.

Regarding adverts, I will say this again, CCP has no financial incentive to promote 1Password, except hoping for fewer support tickets for hacked accounts. Our only motive is to increase security awareness, pointing users towards good tools to do so. 1Password is not the only tool out there, as mentioned in the blog. They just happened to be very open to providing a free, no-obligations, extended trial. That’s it.

3 Likes

We take security seriously. I’ll never say that our systems are unhackable, because that’s a certain way to get a lot of “free” penetration tests, but we just try and do our best.

This is not triggered by a security issue or any such thing. It’s just us trying to make things more secure and better for everyone. I’m sorry if feel there is some other motive, I can only assure you that there is not.

There is no change in how hacked accounts are treated by Customer Support. If you aren’t using a password manager, you’ll still receive the same support you’d receive if you do. It’s a tool that can make life easier, but it’s not required and there is no obligation to use it. I just know from personal experience that it has made my life a lot easier.

This is not a 3rd party protection of passwords. It’s just a tool that would otherwise replace a sticky note, notebook or some app or text document you use to store a list of your passwords. You still choose your password, or you can randomly generate one. We don’t care. Weak passwords however make your account more likely to be hacked. We do have password rules in place which are pretty good, although a bit outdated, but we are also working on modernizing them even more. You can satisfy all the conditions but still have a weak password if it’s a known one (that’s where the Have I Been Pwned integration helps).

We can’t speak for alliance or corps or their demands. 3rd parties however do not have access to information about whether your accounts is 2FA enabled or not for obvious reasons.

3 Likes

I am following the instructions, and I do not get an option to save the password into 1Password. I know I have 1Password set up, because I’ve been able to save the passwords for both my bank and Amazon accounts. Is there an option in the launcher I need to set.

I have both the desktop & Chrome extensions installed.

Update: Tried on a second computer. Could save my Twitch password, but not the login information in the launcher.

The main “Account Security Improvement” we need is the ability to disable two-factor authentication.

It’s horribly annoying and redundant for those of us who have a basic level of common sense and don’t send our account information to Amarrian princes who need us to help them smuggle thousands of PLEX off of their home planet.

It’s more of a security RISK than anything for people who aren’t foolish enough to download keyloggers or enter their login information on disreputable websites. Why on Earth would you think it’s a good idea to force me to log into my email every time I log into my EVE account? All that accomplishes is compromising my email address along with my EVE account.

On top of that, you force us to either keep cookies permanently or go through the annoying and useless 2FA process every time we use a website that requires ESI login. The more conscientious you are about the basic security step of clearing cookies and browser history, the more you are punished by this wonderful “feature”. This problem, in particular, is INCREDIBLY annoying and needs to be fixed; it’s the main problem with 2FA.

Your 2FA is just another example of security “features” that do more harm than good, born out of the idea that more hoops to jump through equals more secure, with little or no consideration for the inconvenience it causes or the steps users are likely to take to deal with that inconvenience.

Really, if the people who are foolish enough to NEED 2FA decide to turn it off, that’s on them. Don’t treat ALL of us like children who need babysitting just to protect a few idiots from themselves.

2 Likes