Devblog: EVE Online: Invasion - Coming May 28th!

Not necessarily. T3Ds aren’t as powerful as battlecruisers, for example. They’re just more flexible than T2D hulls (and not even as good, in some ways. Can’t boosh or bubble.)

2 Likes

I know the new ships are on sisi, but has any of this content been added to the test server? I only did a brief check.

“Capsuleers across the cluster will be faced with an invasion on a scale the likes of which New Eden has never seen before, as the Triglavian threat becomes more real than ever.”

1 Like

-.-

in the name of every carebear i hope NOT !

1 Like

I really want to know more about these invasions.
Will they be like sansha incursions in their mechanics?
Are there new PvE sites spawning? What will they be like?
What will be the requirements to participate in these?

I would really like to see some smaller fleet activities for the players.
Content for gangs of 3 to 5 people would be really cool, since I don’t like the current state of sansha incursions.

My corp is pretty small (only 5 people, including me).
I would really really like to see some content i could do together with my very few eve friends and not just with some public fleet full of people i don’t even want to know.

3 Likes

You mean like a filament :slight_smile: also why do we have to dock up to speak with an agent. I’m in a space ship…

Yes! New missions based on (random) lore that don’t even require new content to be created!

Why ?

64 bit client and launcher in this release?

1 Like

since they were still bug testing that wouldn’t bet on it yet

There’s live events happening right now, and it’s been going on since the first abyssal release. Go read the ARC semiosis thread if you want to learn more.

4 Likes

There’s indications that the invasion may be able to do things like shut down stargates. Sure, we can’t “lose”, but it sounds like it will be able to significantly shut down routes and such if we don’t deal with it.

1 Like

Right, but if the optimal strategy for not being horribly inconvenienced by this is ‘ignore it and just go play something else for 2 weeks’, then it’s not gonna matter. At all.

If CCP want this to be something that feels important… it has to be important. It has to force a reaction from more than just the small number of high-sec players who get organized.

4 Likes

If the gates stay in lock-down until someone deals with them, then players are going to have to actually pay attention to them. Imagine having important supply routes for your alliance being taken offline, you’d begin to treat it like when players do the same thing.

There’s no indication this will be limited to highsec.

3 Likes

Outside of highsec, there’s no such thing as an important gate. Just reroute the jump freighters.

If they shut down Niarja (which they have surveyed), that’ll impact… the poorest haulers. The big freight services will spike their prices a little to reflect needing to move jump freighters into the mix, but not much. Take Jita-4-4 out. RF the Tranquility Tower. RF staging Keeps. Make us actually have to fight for our lives.

If we can get away with ignoring it, most of us… will.

2 Likes

Honestly, that’s a bigger issue with EVE as a whole. Logistics have little to no counter-play.
If trigs can do things like take control of a system and limit the capabilities of cynos/JDs and camp gates, that’s a different story.
But you shouldn’t disregard the fact that constantly having to undock titans for a bridge and setting up ansiblex’s everywhere is absolutely a pain in the ass, expensive, and risky. If trigs can completely lock down an area in null and low, there’s a good chance you can’t just ignore it.

2 Likes

It’s not even just logistics, though. The game is stagnant. And I know everyone loves to blame that on the big blocs, but that ain’t the issue. The issue is that the landscape itself is a gestalt, at this point. The empires don’t change. The drifters show up, kill an empress, launch a whole freakin’ campaign that craters 2 weeks later because :ccp: and then… nothing changes. FW is contained in its nice little arenas, and no matter where the ball is on the field… life inside the arena doesn’t impact life outside the arena any more than it would during a rugby match. (Less even, cuz the only fans of the game going on are on the field. Nobody’s watching on TV.)

Citadel spam has the rest of lowsec more or less inert. The combination of citadel spam, entosis mechanics, and the new ‘3 jammers in every system’ stuff means that sure, we can send fleets all across the map again in minutes (Delve to Tribute? 14 gates now, no fatigue!) but actually waging a war? Actually trying to take sov? Yeah, that’ll only really work if the guys you’re taking it from are tiny, completely incompetent, or already hollowed out from inactivity and/or low morale.

Otherwise? Nothing’s moving.

It really isn’t. Hell, I want them to drop a bajillion ships on us. Give us something for these bored titan pilots to BFG. After that… they’ll go back to being bored.

2 Likes

Get lost 1 guy in a big ship doesn’t mean ‘I win’ . Go cry in a corner and accept you’re a bad player getting dragged around like a dog on a leash for what you call ‘fights’

2 Likes

I like it. There’ll be a rise by Q4. Many thanks. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Users as a whole are at fault, and CCP for caving to their demands and replacing spaghetti code outposts with structures. Users are at fault for demanding everything should be destructible. CCP complied with that demand and gave us structures. They anchored capsuleers to certain areas way more than ever before. In the past, people could just decide on a whim – and they did – to move to a different region to mix things up because all they lost were Ihubs. The outposts would still be there when you decided to come back a few years later. These days, you would have to destroy hundreds of billions in rigs when you move out. That’s why sov and EVE as a whole feels so stagnant.
Another reason, which is also related to structures, is the massive proliferation of super capitals and titans. Structures allowed capsuleers to build these in unprecedented numbers and every time something happens, these ships suffocate any budding content at the roots. When CFC attacked CO2 in Fade, the best fights were always those when the jammers were preventing the use of the supers. There were a couple of sub cap battleship fights that were really enjoyable, and as soon as the jammers fell and supers could enter the field everything was over.

Those are the biggest reasons why EVE feels stagnant.

4 Likes

That’s a thing CCP put out there as a goal years ago, though. The players are players. By their very nature, they’re going to be more narrowly-focused on their own stuff, they’re going to have a limited perspective. That’s what players do: they see the game they play, and the game they want. They look at what benefits them, and they work within the rules that govern their gameplay to try to get that benefit. They play the game.

CCP, on the other hand? Having the big picture in mind is their responsibility. That’s the gig, you know? They’re the ones who are supposed to know how each piece fits together, how the whole mess is supposed to work, top-down and bottom-up. And they don’t. If they did, then we wouldn’t be in a position where they propose changes, and then we, the players, tell them all the ways it’s going to go badly… only to have them ignore us, and watch it unfold exactly the way we said it would.

Nonsense. It feels stagnant because attacking is a fool’s game in the first place. Things are skewed too far toward the defender. Citadels allow defenders to have a huge number of defensible hardpoints where their fleets can regroup. Navigation structures being within the weapons’ range of cits makes them easier to defend than they would have been on a POS, too, and the ability to bounce around without fatigue means that all of that mobility that got limited when jump fatigue went in? It’s back.

Given a decent jump bridge plan, you can get around any kind of camp and retain complete freedom of movement to get into an advantageous position. And the attacker can’t. They can’t even really move around with a cyno and jumping/bridging, because everything’s easy to jam. Want to attack 1 system? You need to control access in and out of the entire constellation… and with jump gates, you won’t. It’s not just a matter of ‘oh but it’s just the same as the old jump bridges’, either. Sure, both let battleship fleets come in, or whatever, but that’s not where the real shift in balance comes in.

The real shift in balance comes from the ability for defenders to meet attacking subcap fleets with capitals. Did you take down all 3 jammers in this system? No? Well, you can’t bring in dreads to counter them, but that jumpgate sure does let the defenders bring in a hundred carriers, don’t it?

TEST just tried prosecuting an offensive war. Vily spoke about how that went at some length on the meta show this past weekend. The confluence of multiple jammers + ansiblex that let defensive caps saunter on in while offensive caps can’t just skews things even farther toward defense. You want to talk about ‘oh, the best fights were when the jammers were up’ and say things were ‘over’ when the jammers fell, let’s keep in mind that the jammers only fell when the IHUBS died. Don’t kill the IHUB, another jammer’ll be online in short order. And that was when you could only have 1 in each system. Now there are 2 back-ups all ready to flip a switch and turn on.

Literally the only reason the largest bloc in the game was able to prosecute an offensive war was because a few hundred pilots spent 8 months grinding down the defenders’ willingness to fight. The north lost before the 6RCQ keepstar even anchored. It lost when the biggest group: Pandemic Horde, got so frustrated and fed up with things that they evacuated Pure Blind in February. And it still wasn’t anything that could be capitalized on until late August.

Without that kind of collapse in defending morale and willingness to fleet up, it doesn’t happen. And I don’t think it happens for any smaller group trying to do it, either. xDeath had exactly that same hollowed-out, no real fighting strength thing happen when they got kicked out. Provibloc’s been a paper tiger for years. And when PanFam + FRT & co went after TEST, they got… no-where.

That’s the mechanics doing that. That’s the way the game is balanced right now: the defender’s pretty much guaranteed a win, if they actually defend. And that’s why it feels stagnant: because it is.

1 Like