Devblog: Interim Statement on Brisc Rubal Follow-up Investigation

I have had nothing but bad experiences with MMO publishers. All I have to say is “Star Wars Galaxies” and “SOE” and you know what I am speaking of.

I knew Brisc back in SWG. I do not believe that he did anything wrong here.

1 Like

Can’t we just all get along? :beers:

Quite true, also, banning someone right off the bat likely is the best way to see “if” there is in fact the alleged activity going on and if in fact the banned person is the one involved. it also preempts any further issues regarding the allegation(s). It is really no different than a suspect being arrested and then later released if cleared of the charges.

JMHO
o/

Leaving this here because I think it’s worth reading:

2 Likes

The question would then be… how many people are “unhappy” that Brisc got banned… and how many people are “happy”?
It is a numbers game.

My views are my own opinion. You can not say they are wrong.

I do not like the idea of any players, the CSM, or otherwise, having access to sensitive game secrets or information.

I live how I want. Does it bother you?

2 Likes

The way in which CCP informs us about subsequent changes is already pretty damn good and I don’t think CSM need crucial info, CCP should only tell CSM’s the status of the changes being made or if a decision has been made on a change to an item or mechanic within the game.

CSM’s should never get specific details about a change because the CSM’s goal should be to provide CCP with a summary of the issues affecting players in order for CCP to be able to cater to the player base better. If this is not the goal of the CSM then it must be scrapped.

Perhaps an idea would be to divide the CSM slots into areas of the game, so we could have 3 CSM’s representing Sov space, 1 for NPC Null, 3 for high/low sec. All players could then vote in someone who suits them, I’d feel good emailing a CSM about an issue if I knew he/she was from NPC null sec and had lived there for most of their game, being able to relate is important with this CSM lark.

2 Likes

No, the real question is how much trust this erodes in the players who now might think, “could this happen to me?”

No one is going to quit Eve over some rando being banned when they don’t know the details. And not very many care enough about even an Eve-famous person like Brisc to quit because of what happens to him, even if they think he is innocent. But when mistakes like this happen that give a glimpse to the masses of how haphazard, ham-fisted, or capricious CCP’s enforcement actions can be sometimes, it will make some people reconsider if they want to continue to expose themselves to such a one-sided arrangement and they will go away.

However, maybe the only thing worse for customer happiness than engaging in uneven or inconsistent rule enforcement for CCP is being seen to interfere in the sandbox meta game. Displaying favourtism or EULA-enforcement by popularity would catastrophic for customer satisfaction. CCP has to take extra steps to be seen as being fair, or at least trying to be fair, or trust evaporates and everything comes tumbling down.

Fairness, not banning/unbanning people by popular opinion, is CCP’s only option, and one I think they honestly strive for even if they fall short sometimes. I hope though they use this a learning experience to improve their rule enforcement protocols rather than deciding it was more a failure in messaging and shutting down all communication to prevent future mistakes like this from getting out.

11 Likes

What a thread :popcorn:

5 Likes

And then you would cry there why there is no info aboout it, what about the transparensy.

If somebody stupid enough to promo himself in a game with his real life, then it is not CCP’s fault that his ban become viral

4 Likes

NO!!!

/me grabs his guns

/me suicides Rich for his popcorn

2 Likes

/me assumes Lugburz did his job proper & exploded Razor with his guns

/me swoops in (cloaky hauler ftw!) and collects the Beer and Popcorn from the wreckage that remains.

This is how I win Eve? :smiley:

Regards,
Cypr3ss.

3 Likes

:open_mouth:
U bar steward!!!

2 Likes

Just wait till you two start /me cut eachother’s hands off. :smiling_imp:

Why does a player ban become a public discussion?
Why do CSM members require this special treatment?
Investigate, ban, apologize or punish - but do it behind closed doors like with any other players that are suspect of a violation.
Stop turning the forums into a support platform for those people groupies.
Don’t make them more important than other Omega players, this is wrong.

This whole saga makes you look bad, CCP.

2 Likes

Since when CCP have this needs to justify publicly their actions?
Transparency, fairness and trust ??? lolll

Some of the things you mentioned are just ‘over the top’. Agreeing to the EULA, and what that means to the terms and conditions, policies, etc. is also spelled out in the EULA.

From the EULA.

1. DISCLAIMER OF DAMAGES

In no event shall CCP, its affiliates, licensors or suppliers be liable to you or to any third party for any special, indirect, incidental, consequential, punitive or exemplary damages (including without limitation, lost profits or lost data), arising out of or in connection with your Account, the System, Software, Game, Game Content, User Content, EULA, or any other services or materials provided in connection therewith, whether based on warranty, contract, tort or any other legal theory, and whether or not CCP is advised of the possibility of such damages, and even if any stated remedy fails of its essential purpose.

1. INDEMNITY

You shall defend, indemnify and hold harmless CCP and its affiliates, licensors and suppliers, and their respective employees, contractors, officers and directors, from any and all claims, loss, damages and demands, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, arising out of: (i) your use or misuse of the Software; (ii) your access to the System; (iii) any activities conducted through your Account (whether by you or another person); and (iv) your playing of the Game.

1. GOVERNING LAW AND EXCLUSIVE FORUM

The EULA, and the rights and obligations of the parties hereto, shall be governed and construed by and in accordance with the laws of the Republic of Iceland. The EULA shall not be governed by the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods.

2 Likes

because the CSM are more important than regular Omega players, They were voted by us the players to represent us in a Focus Group (CSM). Each CSM member shoulders the responsibility of representing thousands of players.

If they abuse the CSM for their own gains, that reflects poorly on the community that put them there, Just like if they use their elevated status to manipulate CCP with false information to “meta-game” a favourable situation for their community, that too reflects poorly on their community.

Lets say Alliance X and Alliance Y are mortal enemies. Years of conflicts, Alliance X suffers a heavy defeat and can no longer combat Alliance Y on the field. So Alliance X uses its CSM member(s) to get Alliance Y’s main strategic FC’s banned and gaining Alliance X an advantage over Alliance Y.

I’m not saying this is what went down (although is quite likely), this sets the framework for showing people just how far “meta-gaming” can go, also that its not that far fetched considering EvE’s Meta history.

2 Likes

Doesn’t mean that someone can’t bring legal action. It just means that they won’t win anything unless negligence can be shown. Still costs CCP money and time. (not that I think its a good idea its just a game)

1 Like

it became public when CCP made it public

1 Like