Devblog: Interim Statement on Brisc Rubal Follow-up Investigation

It can’t be classified as such. They’re reporting that CCP said it, nothing else. And CCP did say it, so their reporting is accurate.

yeh im not a brisc supporter myself though i was surprised by the others allegedly involved; having nothing to go on other than my deep mistrust of politicians in general though probably makes me somewhat biased… that and my favourite ship class has been utterly ruined by the current csm… i forgot what i was going to say as soon as i started thinking bout my crusader tbvh…

1 Like

The character didn’t sign an NDA or receive confidential information.

“eliminate”? - Perhaps not…however, voluntarily submitting oneself to a declared agreement isn’t going to complicate any case? okie dokie

1 Like

You’re not only a US citizen, you’re also a complete idiot.

12 Likes

4th world country ftw

2 Likes

That would be like saying that the manufacturer of a pen or pencil owns anything you write with it. Nope. Not the world we live in.

It’s tough for CCP because of two factors they need to balance:

1. Any account blocking/banning must be taken swiftly to avoid any laundering of assets e.g. if any advance notice is given (“we are investigating you, come speak to us and tell us about this”) then a culprit could disperse or move assets to others, spreading like a contagion in the Alliance/Corp, making any future enforcement action much harder and more pervasive.

2. Any ban of Brisc or the high-profile characters involved will immediately become public given he is on the CSM, and the other people banned were so high-profile. If their accounts suddenly stopped working while an investigation was going on, people would notice.

So, given these two bits of information, CCP had only once choice, to act quickly and also proactively make the information public. It puts them in a really tough position if any subsequent investigation proves innocence.

Garth

1 Like

It seems to me mistakes were made and I’m happy that CCP have looked into it further. I’m fine with mistakes being made as long as they are acknowledged and apologies given.

Well done CCP.

6 Likes

The fanfare surrounding this was created by CCP’s announcement and the level of confidence they put into the initial statement they got this right. They could have just as easily frozen the accounts, quietly contacted the parties involved and verified they got this right and then made a public statement. They opted for shock and awe instead and here we are…again.

8 Likes

Fair summary. What an utterly bizarre situation. Whatever happens next we can safely assume CCP have handled this pretty badly. I’ve seen corporate mismanglement plenty of times but u’d think after 14 years they would have their evidence and ban procedures rock solid.

4 Likes

You might notice that all the EULA/TOS documents people are asked to agree to also have some small print at the end - usually to the effect that any condition that would violate a law is void. There are rights and protections you can’t be legally required to give up so this statement covers that part. For example, with Iceland being not an EU member but in on several EU trade deals CCP would probably have to bow before EU consumer protection.

But the consumer would need to know certain conditions are illegal - he’d need to be a lawyer (or hire one, which is unlikely over a 15$ sub) in order to know what parts don’t actually apply. CCP or any other game/software developer doesn’t bother finding these things out, or even if they did they aren’t going to tell the customer!

3 Likes

I think you may be losing a sense of context for the situation and its actual importance.

3 Likes

That will be the day we dont have unwanted changes to ship specs being forced on us.

I think CCP should rev the EULA to allow them to publish reasons for bans along with information directly concerning the ban. This is of course with the added caveat of the player requiring to consent. CCP could create a forum where the reports are automatically published upon the players request. Then send the update out allowing all players (including banned ones) to accept the new EULA

This would solve the issue outright, if CCP had concrete evidence to Brisc’ crime than he will not allow it to be published.

1 Like

Oh man, he gets 3 dev blogs about his ban.
Seems like being a public figure may actually have some advantages.

3 Likes

To me it seems to be more about his alleged wrong doing, if he did not do anything wrong reverse the ban on him, compensate and issue statement, then we all move forward.

3 Likes

I was expecting more information. Seems like this announcement, whilst revealing more than they normally talk about regarding disciplinary measures, was actually saying nothing significant…

It’s nice to see that CCP and CSM is attempting to do things right, though again they don’t have a good record when doing this kind of thing. Many will if not already point back to CCP’s handling of Mittani’s behavior and antics, including his attempt to get someone to take their life via cyber-bullying. And for punishment just a slap on the wrist while they perma-banned the ex-ceo of CO2, and now Brisc over much less violations. They still have such stains upon their honor that leaves many to question trusting them, or believing in their ability to be objective and not playing favoritism. So I do hope they are doing a far better job this time around.

Though for future situations, I do recommend that if they have not done a full investigation of a problem, don’t do like American Law Enforcement right now and pull the trigger, instead take finger off the Perma-Ban trigger and instead use the stungun of Temporary Suspensions pending investigations. That would probably go over a lot better and not bring back the undead, undying ghosts of the past which come back everytime they do this sort of thing because of mistakes they made in the past.

Again I do agree with some responses applauding them for willing to admit to mistakes being made, willingness to correct them. I do look forward to seeing more into this, and finding out what they find in their investigation, helping keep their community knowledgeable can help the community in helping find ways of preventing further violations. This is a game built by the community, so it’s nice to have community involved and provide true transparency.

But once more, CSM and CCP needs to be VERY VERY careful on how they handle future situations. They past handlings have been rather questionable and get brought up again each time they make something like this public. I’m not seeking to make a issue about this, but many will want to because they distrust CCP and CSM, for example, Mittani’s behavior in the past. And I rather not see them starting keeping such situations from the public from the massive REEEEEEEEing to come. I’m too curious to findout what happened, how it happened, and if possible help provide feedback on how to prevent this from happening again. This is the kind of thing to have killed other games in the past. I prefer to not have that fate befall this fun game. So I look forward to a full report on all this.

7 Likes

You got info, someone is wrong about something.

1 Like