Devblog: Introducing a new tech demo - EVE: Aether Wars

Only good thing here is the stress test and continuing the war on botting. The rest is trash.

yetā€¦that may very well changeā€¦use your farseeing goggles.

You mean Hilmarā€¦ceo of ccp? :roll_eyes:

All CCP is doing is providing art, the actual work is not being done by CCP

1 Like

Nope. Re-read it. Hilmarā€™s not claiming CCPā€™s doing anything. Heā€™s said he, personally, was talking with people, but not on CCPā€™s behalf. Everything else there is stuff Hadeanā€™s doing, and Hilmarā€™s asking us to help with. Thatā€™s not CCP doing anything at all. We canā€™t even say CCP providing the art assets is ā€˜doingā€™ anything, because for all we know, Hadeanā€™s actually licensing that stuff for the occassion for $500,000.

1 Like

Probably paying for Hilmar to ask us to help out too :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Considering how the chat ended up by moving to ā€˜the cloudā€™ I have little hope for this new venture.

ā€¦and I signed up because I want it to work too.

The geek in me looks forward to this. The industry realist in me seeā€™s this as a dead end.

If my understanding is right, this looks essentially like a real-time scalable compute solution. Cost saving through released resources when the IOPs are low and realtime matching of compute for performance when the IOPs are high.

However thereā€™s a big difference between a tech demo, where most of the risk sits with the developer, and trying to turn that into a commodity where customers have to take on more risk.

Compared to the established solutions to scale compute, I wish this project all the best, but donā€™t think it will succeed (would like to be wrong).

2 Likes

This is exciting! Best of luck.

1 Like

bestparrot

2 Likes

Small fights are down to you to go find them, donā€™t expect CCP to do everything for you, get off your arse.

In fact all fights are down to the players, not for CCP to somehow provide them.

Cool, Iā€™d love to see 8k textures and all that. But why not just use a well established game engine such as Unreal Engine 4? Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s capable to build just about any game environment :+1:t2:

lol

there are threads on the unreal engine forum where they talk about the struggle it took Epic Games, the people who make the engine to get 100 people into the same game, and how 250 would be near impossible. Unreal Engine is a great engine, but not for EVE

Theyā€™re not talking about a game engine. Itā€™s an OS to address server-side issues with parallelization.

They are in fact talking about a game engine

Eve Online 2.0
New Eden was completely destroyed by the Cataclysm.
We start completely in the new arm of the galaxy. Other Factions, other heroes. All start with a new sheet.

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Aaaand the majority of the players declare ā€˜years of work flushed down the drain for what? Sorry, not wasting my time on it again.ā€™

2 Likes

Never going to be an EVE 2.0, maybe a massive update to EVE that might as well be a 2.0 but they would never wipe the universe, it would kill the game outright.

1 Like

plot twist, star citizen is giving their game away to ccp to fix it, then give us walking stations again

agreed, i like eve as it is, but it really needs a cloud server interface so that eve battles doesnā€™t crash the game

I presonally want more microtransactions. Since PLEX can be bought with ISK. I want to be able to buy more customizations. Skins. Robotic Limbs. And whatnot. I want pets. And station walking. Also rentable costumizable space buildings that i can transform into a pub or brothel or anything i want to. Also farming would be great. Like pace corn and stuff but in a big green house on a station with walkable fields and hover tractors. I want all thisand more.

PS: Who cares about big battles anyway.