Devblog: Introducing The Activity Tracker

Reported to the space police for griefing :stuck_out_tongue:

@Sobaan_Tali

You had me at, “I think he should be put down.”.

*Do I really need that second period? :thinking:

With this Winter’s expansion, we are happy to announce that you will get access to your own personal activity tracking.

Please tell me it’s not retroactive to 2003. My wife would kill me if all my time online was documented.

2 Likes

But AFK cloaking never hurt anyone. :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Didn’t the powers that be decide that it was griefing? I’ve been hit in the head a lot. May have imagined it.

AFK cloaking has never been griefing.

I don’t see on the proposed activity tracker, sufficient tracking of one’s piratical endeavours.

I’m pretty sure it was at one time.

As long as this thing never becomes casually public accessible.

2 Likes

Let’s not go down that road mkay

2 Likes

I mostly agree with you, but I’d like to point out that data collection is not largely something inherent to the game “running.” Many data values in a game are overwritten if not specifically collected and stored. And data that was not collected is often impossible to get after the fact.

Let’s say you ask me to sit at an intersection all day and count how many red cars drive by (and I oblige). If, at the end of the day, you ask me how many white cars drove by… I’ll probably not be able to help with that figure (despite the fact that I probably saw most of the white cars).

Why not, you jealous that everyone will get these rewards before you?

That is just so minimal amount of effort, few skins, few recolored suits, and beside lvl 5 activity icon a container icon showing a surprise reward. A gift from CONCORD for your efforts in building and defending New Eden. :relaxed:

1 Like

Themeparkification of Eve online wouldn’t be complete if it didn’t include achievement hunting, whereby you get a hat for visiting all 8285 star systems.

4 Likes

@Shai 'Hulud

How many white cars drove by?

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind if the rewards are able to be traded. Otherwise it becomes: “play the game this way you really didn’t want to, because that’s the only way to get the thing you want.” Like if the coolest hat was only from a mining achievement…

Tying back to the data collection, achievements become a way for game companies to try to coerce you to play neglected parts of their game. They can start confusing what players are doing with what players want to do. The data can tell you something with huge rewards is wildly popular, even if players hate it.

3 Likes

Yes, the data can be overwritten, or it can be stored. But the collection of the data is what I meant when I said it is the game. What’s done with it after that… is part of the tools they needed to make.

FTFY :cat:

3 Likes

Unfortunately there is no retroactive counting of your activities.

So, pretty much makes it even more useless for the old players than it already is. Geez. Instead on focusing your time and energy on such stuff you could… I don’t know… address other things like getting logi on killmails, revitalizing FW somehow, working on some new permanent content instead of time restricted events, making data sites more relevant… So many things, many of them already having being mentioned time and time again by your player base (which is shrinking by the day).

3 Likes

This is gonna be quite intrusive. I don’t want my terrible piloting to be monitored. Gonna feel like someone is watching me play… Creepy.

Arrr, one period if the sentence ends with a citation.

3 Likes

If tier 1 abyssal sites remain soloable with a single worm, folks are going to burn through T1 keys pretty speedily. It take three keys. Might bump up the value of those sites if we reach scarcity.