Devblog: Introducing the new EVE Online Forums!

Images!

fangirling.gif

Wanders off bugreporting

1 Like

For the launch of these new forums, we’ve undertaken a complete review of the forums rules and how we utilize and enforce our moderation policy

So with the new simplified rules and enforcement, will the ISD’s and DEV’s still be allowed to be just as buddy-buddy with some of the trolls, to the extent of continuing to protect the troll posts and punish those that report said trolls. As well as apparently being able to post troll posts themselves.

That is the main reason i stopped using the forum much, too much hypocrisy and cronyism from those that are supposed to ‘monitor’ the forums. That and apparently not many DEVS used the official forums either…since most of the idea generating happened from other sites like Reddit ect.

It’s like we’re in the future! I’ve run a few of my own Discourse forums and I love the software.

Now if only we had a way to read 'em in game. ;D

Honestly, it is terrible. I feel like I reading a twitter feed because of the design, or an article of a newspaper because of the feeling that it shrink compared to the previous forum, who already suffered from that.

A post now feel like it take less space than the previous forum as the poster information has been nerfed. So few space for the interesting (yeah, I know… :slight_smile: ) information, too much space for the useless background and this… “scrollbar” at right. Not that it is useless as it permit to know where we are and how much sufferi… I mean, posts remaining, but it really take too much space who could be used to a better display of the content of a post. I mean, you know that nearly everyone have monitors with 1980+ pixels of width today ?

It is not efficient.

We are losing immediate interesting informations too, like Corporation/alliance of the poster, this is important in a game where politics matters, so we will have to lose time to check using eve-who…

And I really hate this tendency to use relative dates instead of absolute dates, because “9h” don’t tell me anything. It will be worse if you use “less than a week” or other horrors I saw on IPBoard-like forums… It doesn’t permit to really evaluate if the discussion is done or still living. 2017-06-20 14:00:00 UTC seems barbaric, but permit to compare with now() in a instant, but I must be an exception on that.

3 Likes

did my ten thousand spacelikes carry over

2 Likes

I honestly did not expect to see a third forum iteration since I started playing this game in 2009. You guys are making me feel old.

tell the truth, you sqweed a bit when this went live, didn’t you falcon?

m

1 Like

While I prefer light-on-dark themes, I have heard the opposite of what you said so could you provide a source that backs up your claim?

1 Like

You’ll note that the issue there is readability, not eye strain. If you drill down deeper into your own sourcing, you’ll find the point comes up repeatedly: Dark on light is generally perceived as crisper and easier to read in short sessions, but light on dark causes less fatigue and headache over longer periods.

2 Likes

Yep, I really like this new forum. Used to only read General Discussion in the old ones and this one has me reading all the subforums seamlessly. Nice job!

I do not like that it takes more effort to find the sub-forums you want compared to the previous forums. Categories are not separated and everything looks cluttered and hard to read; also, threads need a “go back to top” button.

Congrats on these new forums. I’ll be reading them daily.

1 Like

First problem I’ve noticed is that “new users” can’t upload images to complete the little orientation thinger with the bot.

Also, the bot needs its name changed to Aura, for obvious reasons.

1 Like

Yeah the New Forum Experience tutorial does get hung up there. To be able to get Basic access, which allows posting bad pics, requires you to spend a few minutes browsing threads. Then all of a sudden you get it. Like EVE, the tutorial doesn’t teach you everything and we must rely on the knowledge of the community. lol

1 Like

Interesting stuff. After reading every post (55 or so?) I clicked the “summarize this topic” button expecting it to ask me to summarize this topic (thought it was trying to crowd source a topic summary for use somewhere!), and ended up getting the top 12 posts.

Not sure what the exact metric is for deciding what posts do or don’t make that cut, but very interesting feature. Could be useful for those super long dev blogs where you don’t necessarily want to read all 50+ pages, but you’d like to get a good overview (more than reading the first page and last page would provide, say).

It’s kinda sad that our post histories and like histories are gone, tho. Ah well. Forums always be changin’. Learned that lesson back in the 90s, so can’t say I’m surprised. ;D

So, in future more announcements will only be posted on the forums? That’ll make some people on reddit quite salty. :smiley:

2 Likes

Ooooh weird.

Very happy that all offical communication will happen here.

Now, wheres FANDI?..

If I remember correctly Falcon said they will use a bot of some kind who posts the official stuff made here also on reddit.
But the official part of the discussion shall be focused on this forum. Which is good, I think.

Try pressing ? on your keyboard. :wink:

Hey thanks for that. It doesn’t help with getting through some of the issues related to the tutorials, but it’s a good bit of knowledge in general. Talk about something that should be in the new user tutorial.

Regards, Dirk

Been using the turorial as a practice area for trying features out. My posts are now considered spam and are hidden.

My dreams of being able to do what all the cool kids do, sharing videos and emojis, crushed!