Devblog: Preparing For The Future – Retirement Of Captain’s Quarters & Twitch Integration

Good decision.

I wouldn’t be surprised if DX9 End of Support is near as well, and Captain Quarters code was meddling with EVE DX11 performance under Wine for Mac\Linux.

2 Likes

I guess this is the final nail in the coffin for those who were still clinging onto hope for WIS.

Link this thread to any new WIS threads that pop-up in the future.

3 Likes

Honestly, I may be the only one but I liked the captains quarters. I liked seeing my avatar when in station and the ship from the distance. I liked the reminder that we are a pilot/person not just a ship. I will miss it and think it is a horrible loss. The universe just became smaller. I also think there really is no reason for outfits now as the 3D view is of extremely limited use.

I honestly think CCP dropped the ball here. They missed a chance to give us a home to showcase our toys and trophies. I wish we could have had a place to put say the holiday items like the alliance tourney cards. Let me out some of that DNA on display or the head in a jar.

Again yes it moves us away from space ships but it made the universe more real. It gave atmosphere even if limited. So I will miss this aspect and in all honesty, I think it is a sad loss for us and a poor choice by CCP. I do know it will impact my play and my decision to renew in a year as well. Definitely not wasting time on apparel anymore as well. Just a sad loss.

36 Likes

It was as if hundreds of WiS voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced…

Finally…

4 Likes

He literally said though, in the devblog, that this doesn’t rule out the possibility for future re-implementation. I’m against it too, but the devblog does not state, “this is the end for WIS”.

5 Likes

Glad to see this happening. Taking something that your team has worked on out behind the woodshed and putting a bullet in its noggin is a very difficult thing to do. It shows real strength to see it happening. Here’s hoping that the release of maintenance tasks allows for a stronger Eve going forward!

5 Likes

We’ll see how they handle non-mission ambulation with Project Nova, but I have no expectations for walking in stations from the Eve Client. That is deader than space disco.

2 Likes

Oh well, I suppose Star Citizen have a lot of opening and closing doors. Who ever wanted to have a doors that lead nowhere in a spaceship game? Best decision to remove everything you cant rebalance and rebalance again everything what can be rebalanced, untill everything is unbalanced again.

:psyccp:

7 Likes

Have to agree this is a good change. I used the quarters once, many years ago, and was like, “That’s cool. Now back to spaceships.” Now it’s just that annoying button that looks like undock if I’m drunk enough but only costs me precious seconds before I can lose another hull…

And hearing what a time-suck it is, yeah, please kill it. How about having the art team make a tool to allow player created Skins instead? My inner Goon craves a black and yellow striped Rifter.

2 Likes

Well, the shared walking around in stations experience ‘technically’ did exist with Dust 514 and PlayStation Home’s Event Horizon Lounge. That’s gone now. We’ll see what the dev team CCP relocated from Shanghai to Reykjavik will do with Project Nova and any additional ambulation systems in Unreal Engine 4. Keep any expectations low to non-existent.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t get my hopes up to not get disappointed after false expectations.
Just to remind some players, this was shown at Moscow meetup 5 years ago (yes time flies really quickly):

“Maybe someday we get meaningful WiS” is almost equal to “maybe I’ll see Mars base in my lifetime”. And for some reason I believe that latter have considerably bigger chances of happening.

5 Likes

CCP - 2003 to 2008 - Big & Bigger Dreams and grand plans

CCP - 2009 to Present - Catering Service to PL, Imperium, & Goons.

18 Likes

Great stuff CCP! Glad to hear that you are finally re-focusing on the core game instead of pointless features that nobody wants or asked for.

How does removing Captain’s Quarters cater to goons? Are you implying that we are the entirety of the 97% of the player base that doesn’t use the feature? You count players by number, not weight.

3 Likes

Great news from CCP for a feature that is very underused and no longer needed. You say the Captains Quarters will be removed in the August release; will we see a significant size reduction for a fresh install of the client or any other performance boosts in game play?

1 Like

Humm…

The point I was trying to make was that back in the day before CCP F’d up WIS, CCP was always thinking of big expansions, lore, PVE. PVP was just another aspect of the game. That’s all changed and it’s now about the PVP content that is generate by these big globs of alliances.

I am also sure that CCP can now use the art cycles freed up with this move to work on their new eSports VR.

2 Likes

The more I think about this, the more I just feel bummed by it. Yes, I get CCP’s logic. It is the right move from a resource stand point.

Still, I cared far less about my characters when that were just a picture in the top left corner. Captain’s quarters gave me a way to connect to my character on a better level. The 3D model isn’t the same. The captain’s quarters better connected me to my characters and helped pull me back. A bland portrait and a spinning ship, one of many that I will lose, it’s not the same.

Yes I know this is at the emotional level, but that is part of what gets me to pay. So again, I get the logic, it makes sense, but it is still a sad loss.

29 Likes

About god-damn time.

1 Like

Well, looks like I’ll be spamming screenshots in the local NPC stations of me in various outfits before they rip out the CQ. I can understand the reason for it having to go. Its an old code set and engine that doesn’t play nice with the rest. Here’s hoping that when they re-implement things, it’ll have some better uses than looking good. I like my avatar, and I hope they finally find a good way for me to use it to interact.

Still love my internet spaceships, but I’m a hopeless roleplayer, and the CQ helped with immersion, as some others have stated here.

17 Likes

No way. Awful news. :disappointed_relieved:

Of course we don’t use CQ, because there’s nothing to do in there. So instead of improving or adding some features to CQ you just gonna remove it? Pretty disappointing.

HOLD THE DOOR!

30 Likes