Devblog: Preparing For The Future – Retirement Of Captain’s Quarters & Twitch Integration

Excellent screenshot.

Was the hand wave photo-shopped ?

Idle animation I think, the character is actually looking at her nails.

1 Like

Huh? What is a photo-shopp? : P

1 Like

They’re in a hole, and are digging it smaller but deeper…

One last attempt…you never know:

9 Likes

Stepped around CQ just last night without realizing that was gonna be the last time.

:relieved:

2 Likes

lel: https://community.eveonline.com/news/news-channels/eve-online-news/eve-online-august-release-to-be-published-on-16-august/

2 Likes

!!CCP!! :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

http://evenews24.com/2017/08/15/walking-in-stations-a-farewell-to-captains-quarters/

Press F to pay respect

4 Likes
2 Likes

I agree that it wasn’t used because there was very limited interaction. You have a bed but cannot lay down on it. You have a Quafe Dispenser/Galley, but can’t use it. You can’t walk around in station like we thought we would be able to. It would have been nice to USE the Captain’s Quarters.

You want an ISK-sink? Make us buy Quafe to restock the dispenser. Sell modules for features that you can use: beds, office desks, better lighting, decorations, corporation office/meeting rooms, fireplaces, rugs, etc.

In any MMORPG, the RP community seems to be a minority, and therefore such features get pushed aside in favor of combat/PVP. This is understandable. But if you want players to interact more with each other, then give them a place to do it besides a chat window.

Any development/design spent on features in CQ could be easily exported to apply to POS/Citadels as well, giving yet another way for players to spend their hard-earned ISK.

I don’t use Twitch, so have no opinion on that. But I am sad that CQ will not be pursued and done properly.

9 Likes

So then… why does my CQ still exist? CQ removal Patch day was today wasn’t it? Is my little corner of EVE just working wrong?

1 Like

https://community.eveonline.com/news/news-channels/eve-online-news/eve-online-august-release-to-be-published-on-16-august/

I’m guesssing that is probably why.

1 Like

A couple years before I re-tried EVE and fell in love with it, I trialed it not knowing much about it. It felt so impersonal and I remember very specifically deciding not to subscribe because I felt zero attachment to my character and I think, by extension, to the universe. This was prior to the Incarna models even. I eventually joined after noticing that I liked being a market trader in other MMO’s, and recalling the depth in EVE.
The takeaway I guess, is that captains quarters would have earned me as a sub two years earlier, and focusing some of this saved dev time back into a way to let us stretch our legs is important to me for some unknown reason. I hardly ever used it, for efficiency on a underpowered laptop, but I valued just knowing it was there. I am the 97%, but I’d still buy it back off the NEX for plex if you put the dev time into refactoring it.
Alright, I need to go take more selfies with my ship before it’s too late.

7 Likes

Yeah same here about CQ, I probably would have not been as dazzled and quit lol

4 Likes

Sad but true…

1 Like

I shudder to say this but, I wonder what would have happened if it was only available if you spent plex to turn it on. You make skins and charge us for them. What would have happened if you charged us for access or for new features in CQ. Would it have easily paid for itself?

1 Like

RIP Captain’s Quarters. One less reason to log in and just chill. Spinning ships just doesn’t do it for me.

5 Likes

Depending on the features some would have paid for it but not the majority. I think it would be hard without content that may belongs more into another game. But yes, why no chargeable expansion to the core game for let’s say 5 bucks or a few mini PLEX per month?

Would it pay off is hard to say without any inside knowledge that CCP isn’t willing to share.

@CCP Btw. how many people work for Team Trilambda? You have to agree that without this factor your statement is meaningless. So how many working hours you spend on the CQ yearly?

Ongoing maintenance for captain’s quarters currently takes around 2-3 sprints, or 4-6 weeks of development work each year for Team Trilambda…

1 Like

21 people in Team Trilambda based on the team photo in this clip at 56 seconds in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJR43kY831o

2 Likes