Devblog: Security Update - Q1 2019

Yes, they are. Confirmed by CCP themselves.

Yes, and it spiked massively after Citadel patch. And there has also been a massive increase in mineral creation over most of the same period which is masking the effect on T1 hulls.

It’s far easier to cut the faucets then to increase sinks. And increased sinks affect everyone, including hisec mission runners struggling to earn a living with nullsec ISK and minerals out of control.

What are you even talking about? Ships dying is an ISK faucet due to insurance. If the huge nullsec mineral stocks were being turned into insurance payouts due to a massive war the ISK inflation would be even more insane.

Don’t blame the players for this. CCP’s vision was city states where players could build up infrastructure and be more secure than the nullsec of old. Add on top of that the servers not even being able to handle a fight where a significant amount of titans could die and you have the current stagnation.

1 Like

Caps cant do warp gates, hence it would be impossible then for caps to run the sites :smiley:

This low hanging fruit will have bigger repercussion on the alpha gamers and the game itself dont underestimate what you are going to do.

3 Likes

Ban capitals from ratting, surely backlash wouldn’t be even bigger than what we have here.
wink wink

If they really do inflate the isk value that much then make anoms reward LP instead of that much isk, just like in missions. Simple solution, doesn’t change the gameplay, risks and all that, people still get what they are used to.

And then make anoms demand more attention if bans for botting aren’t enough. Like rats being more aggressive towards drones for starters. But I’m way more for, to certain degree, randomized spawns in the sites of the same name. Including random amount of rats with Ewar. It would both require more attention and make PvE more interesting then repeating the same thing over and over.
If bots beat even that then in captcha we trust, let the captcha be with us.

1 Like

Random amount of rats with Ewar, hell even better - make different rat factions work together in anoms, like they do in lore, multiple types of ewar in anoms included. Now that would be interesting.

“We didn’t say this is the biggest issue, just that this is a low hanging fruit.” sigh My target content, referred to as low hanging fruit. From the sound of things, that low hanging fruit is relatively tiny compared to the apparent problems in nullsec, and I am not convinced putting L4s behind Omega will do much to stop bots. Seriously, I think captcha is the way to go. Just slap a captcha on anything that seems to easily automated and exploited by bots.

5 Likes

No, it categorically isn’t. Cutting faucets is taking things away from your players. Gamer behavior in MMOs for 20 years now points to that having a negative impact on player engagement and retention. Increasing sinks means giving your players more ways and reason to blow one another up. It’s a fundamental difference, and one that has to be taken into account.

It’s far easier to get the players to balance themselves by increasing their motivation to fight than it is to take things away. Always.

Insurance payout can be tweaked pretty easily. But no, once modules are taken into account, capitals don’t insure above their cost. That’s why suicide dreads are so crappily fitted. More reason to actually fight with caps means less focus on suicide caps.

CCP’s vision of this was in-line with what the null groups asked for. Occupancy sov. Farms and fields. Groups from NCdot and Darkness through Goons, TEST, Stainwagon, and xDeathx spent years asking for this. Yeah, the players share an equal part of the ‘blame’ for nullsec developing in a normal manner consistent with pretty much every frontier area in human history: resource rush, squabbling, conflict, eventually settling into stasis as population levels come up. They acted like people. Shocking.

HAHAHAHAHAAH. Say what? Never seen a group of supercapitals rip through incursion sites behind acceleration gates, have you?

3 Likes

If they like the game they should buy it. There’s so much an alpha can do already free of charge and I’m pretty sure sitting on a fw beacon is more isk/hr than lv4s with alpha skills.

Thanks for this good change ccp I am looking forward with a positive outlook on how other bot activities will be restricted in the hopefully near future.

3 Likes

??? PVP is not an ISK sink.

The only new sink CCP could do would be to sell either cosmetic or in-game items for ISK.

How can you be in Goons and not understand the most basic things about this games economy? Modules being destroyed is not an ISK sink. The only module ISK sink is sales/contract fees and that is still trivial compared to base insurance payout on any hull. Everyone deciding to go brawl in Perimeter with officer fit Feroxes injects ISK into the game not removes it.

Yeah and all those groups are lead by self-interested morons. And even then CCPs implementation was far worse then what players asked for. For example players asked for destructible stations and got Fortizar spam. CCP is basically a monkey’s paw.

2 Likes

Nope, have never run any incursion sites, so i wouldnt know.
I just remember that caps couldnt do the ded sites cause u had to go through a warp gate, same with the level 5’s that had warp gate.

So i guess they have changed something then.

ISK and assets in EVE are fundamentally interchangeable. ISK gets you assets. Assets can be liquidated for ISK. It’s all a matter of net worth.

Wat? Frankly, Perimeter’s been a race to the bottom, expense-wise. Neither side even brings T2 logistics. I think the last blingy ship in those fights was my loki, and it only went the once. At this point, I’m kinda shocked we haven’t all gone to blaster-catalysts.

Really, you’re narrowing your view too much to see the real interplay here. Everything in EVE is fungible.

You mean ‘people’? Yeah. All people are self-interested morons. Our self-interest happens to include wanting the game to continue to survive in a healthy manner so we have stuff to do. For all the whining, occupancy sov has nullsec in a healthier place than the vast tracts of passive income did. There’s at least 4 blocs, with a 5th emerging, and countless smaller groups all moving about null, instead of 2 blocs dividing up the whole map between them.

Are there better ways to implement? Almost certainly. I can’t think of a single thing, ever that couldn’t have been improved on. But that doesn’t excuse the players from their share of responsibility for this.

Some warp gates have ship restrictions. More often, people with caps don’t tend to go where they can’t light cynos if they get into trouble. Make that the majority of space, though, and they’ll adapt.

Just riffing here, but what about applying a filter to the Probe Scanner based on account status instead? Alphas simply won’t be able to scan or find these anomalies. That would eliminate the gate.

Granted, they could fleet with an Omega that finds the anom and warp to them, but it would be a barrier.

Now, this is assuming that limiting Alphas is the way to go here, and I have to believe that the botters are also largely Omegas (carriers, and all that), but just a thought.

1 Like

Mate. The point I was making is obviously flying completely over your head. I’m not talking about an individual player’s ISK, I’m talking about the amount of ISK in the game. PVPing always results in more ISK entering the game through insurance payouts. The huge flood of ISK entering the game due to super ratting makes ISK less valuable. This has an impact on the relative value of things like hisec mission running. The only reason the hisec bears aren’t on strike right now is that there has been a similar mineral faucet driving down mineral prices (minerals are at least removed from the game through ship losses).

I don’t know what game you are playing but it isn’t EVE. There are two blocs in EVE and a few other strategically irrelevant sov holding alliances (I’m in one).

Speaking of caps, guess who found a hel outside a pos

No, it really doesn’t. Most people don’t bother insuring their T1 hulls in null. We sure as hell don’t make money on T2 or T3 hulls from insurance.

You’re in skillU. I wasn’t considering them one of the blocs, to be honest. Right now, the blocs in the game are:
The Imperium
PanFam
Legacy (and no, we are not a unified bloc w/Legacy)
HRE
and a new bloc that looks to be emerging from the decade-long Rus wreckage, and moving East.

Wasn’t mine! It’s docked up while I’m in highsec! :slight_smile:

How are you still missing the point? You buy a ship off contract for 100mil, all that money apart from a small contract fee goes to a player and stays in the game. Your ship dies and you get 14 million base pay out. There is now more ISK in the game then there was before your ship died. Ship losses only remove wealth (minerals and modules) not ISK from the game.

Lol. Legacy is absolutely part of the Imperium bloc. The only reason they still hold space is because you protected them. You don’t need constant blue standings to be a bloc. Also hate to break it to you but the “HRE” is a meme, and if it wasn’t a meme the only significant force in it is SkillU and we are not a bloc level entity. Maybe you meant WinterCo (Fraternity) but they aren’t a bloc level entity either.

TEST pets who can’t hold space without TEST supers being in jump range.

After investigating further, the decision has been made to place all level 4 and 5 missions behind the requirement to have Omega status, to assist the fight against RMT and botting.

Well, looky there.

–Intrigued Gadget

1 Like

You buy a ships off contract for 100mil. That money goes to the player. That player paid a good chunk of that money to the people who built the ship and modules. Those people paid a good chunk of that money to the folks who spent time mining the minerals and getting the drops for modules. Or are you one of the ‘it’s free if you mine it yourself’ types?

The problem isn’t the insurance. It’s that not enough destruction of wealth is happening to offset the spawned-and-harvested resources (rats and rocks/ice).

And no, SkillU isn’t a bloc-level entity on its own. But HRE is considered an active bloc by the other blocs. And no, Legacy is not part of the Imperium bloc. They do things we don’t like (and probably will as long as Piggles is Piggles), and I’m sure we do things that drive them up a wall. As for the Rus… we’ll see how successful they are, won’t we? That’s kinda what ‘emerging’ means: they haven’t established themselves yet.

I didn’t know Alphas were capable of handling level 4 missions let alone level 5’s.

1 Like

Yes let’s put out a dev blog that is positive so we can contain the raging fire we started with removing the AT and blaming it on “focusing on balance”.

@CCP_Falcon why is it that you have replied so much here, but not so much as a murmur in the AT “discussion” thread?