Devblog: Skills On Demand - Changes Coming To The Skill System!

At first when I saw this I was worried. But this actually seems like a good quality of life change. Cheers for this.

In almost 10 years of playing EVE (off and on), I’ve never encountered a new player who had trouble with the ‘fly to NPC station to buy skillbook’ mechanic.

I’ve seen new players complain they can’t afford them - so your inject-on-demand for a surcharge won’t help. I’ve seen new players complain there are too many skills and they can’t figure out which ones they actually need - again, your on-demand changes will only help them waste their limited ISK faster. I’ve seen new players complain that skills take too long to train, when they want to use them right now… again, no help here from the new system.

But I’ve never seen a new player complain they couldn’t figure out how to bring up the market and fly to a nearby system to purchase a skillbook. I have seen them make similar complaints about gear or materials though… so maybe the guy who suggested “on-demand ore” was more in touch with actual new players.

I agree with those who’ve stated this primarily benefits the people who farm in Low/Null/WH space, since it saves them trips/time through risky areas to pop that next skillbook, and lets them continue farming.

It cuts down trading, it cuts down emergent content as players travel/set up contracts/ship items for sale, it removes an easy and early learning/trading process for new players… basically it removes exactly the sort of things that make EVE unique and interesting, in order to benefit people who have a ton of ISK and don’t want to take the risk of travelling or the time to set up contracts/orders for their skill training.

Don’t waste time on things that look like you are making positive change when you actually aren’t. Busywork isn’t worth wasting dev time on… there are real issues you can address.

5 Likes

and could not find a small beam laser specialization skill book.

Would be nice if you made the convenience cost at least 25% more than price at schools.

Do you still call a ‘car’ a ‘motorized carriage’?

I think changes like this are not for newbs, they’re, plainly speaking, for stupid people.

Started in 2010, never was a problem to learn the basics. Reading articles, watching guides on youtube and asking your corpmates - these, too, are parts of Eve gameplay.
Simplification of things might bring you the numbers but this sort of new players hardly can turn into quality event-makers and universe reshapers.

You’d better put more thought into reigniting the nullsec to bring back the players who started in 2007-2015. For example with a huge nerf of supercapitals.

1 Like

Well, in my native langage it’s more or less the case, but you are not supposed to know that.

Darn, and I thought for sure someone would go with the ‘boiling the frog’ argument. Slippery slope arguments do not hold much water with me, boiling or otherwise.

m

I second this. Nicely explained.

2 Likes

some are. I have been berated for answering questions because the answer I gave was not simple enough or that I answered a complex question with a link of where to learn more.

m

This was also in an era before the current crop of MMOs, all of which have removed similar features that just require busywork for players.

The game is always going to be complicated, and you’re correct that this is one of the lures of it. But just because there are things that are complicated doesn’t mean that literally everything in the game has to be unnecessarily complex. That just deters people from even trying.

This is a pretty easy solution that brings us in line with every other MMO out there, and was crafted in such a way as to not completely destroy the existing market and gameplay around skill books. This is one of the more subtle quality of life fixes CCP has done, and I think they deserve credit for coming up with a solution that wasn’t a bludgeon.

1 Like

Considering a) I don’t have any idea what your native language is and b) you’re arguing about the use of ‘book’ and ‘e-book’ in English… gonna say your native language isn’t relevant. Sorry.

Cultural influences, but you are right, who cares.

Balos, is that you? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Citadel’s/RLML/Fighter magic Tracking/cap proliferation/death of sig tanking are major issues/causes of this, but not these skill book changes xD

1 Like

Yes…

LoL
Goon what else

Need to say i don’t remember previous CSMs supporting such useless and contrived changes. Looks like CCPA and new CSM found each other like perfect couple.

1 Like

Another dumbing-down-the-game of the only complex game that remained on the market. I don’t like it. In a few years everything will be as simple as yet another browser game and nothing is left for people who like to dive into a game world. Very sad.

1 Like

Suggestions.
To newbies are not confused in the market. I propose to make a purchase of the ship as we offer skills.
You have a lot of time! And novices will definitely not be confused!

Maybe you already release a separate server called: Eva Online Classic ? With new graphics, but with the mechanics of the game in 2008. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes