Devblog: Skills On Demand - Changes Coming To The Skill System!

e-books? I mean, we’re talking about ‘books’ you inject into your brain.

No

1 Like

And you think the people who are docked are going to undock because skill books? Have you looked into courier contracts? Or do you believe that people can’t tell they’re going to need a book ahead of time?

Yes. Congratulations. Brisc is using real-world ‘you can buy a book online and download it to your kindle/ipad/PC’ as a comparison point for EVE’s ‘skill book’ object which is data on a storage device, which you then inject into your brain through your pod jacks. It is not a physical book that you read and turn pages in.

Then call a book a book and an e-book an e-book.

With this new system you won’t have duplicates thou so it’s 2 birds with 1 stone.

What does paper back fall under that ■■■■ looks real.

Except nope.

do the orders in a private citadel. cycle a bunch of orders at 0.01 isk.

excuse me, but do you understand the terms you actual use? Let me try to help - ok if somebody uses a courier contract then somebody has to fulfill it. Which means that someone has to undock. So yes, every time you need a skillbook someone is undocking somewhere - either you have to undock to go get it (unless you happen to live in a system where the skillbooks are generated on the market) or someone else is undocking to bring it to you. Either way, skill books contributed to people undocking and moving around.

As I have said, eve doesnt need more reasons to say docked.

1 Like

My english is bad but i’ve found worse.

People spend about 0.0000000001% of their time acquiring skill book’s that loss is not going to be missed, the positive’s for new player’s is a lot more valuable.

Every change has negatives that much is a garentee if you only want change’s that have only positives you are living in cloud kookoo land.

Your English is fine.

thank you.

2 Issues (direct and implied) with your cheat solution:

1. In my first post I specifically referenced prices in the market Hubs, no citadels in Jita or Amarr so the issue is already solved. I suppose if they wanted to cycle a whole bunch of orders through Jita 4-4 they could, but they would eat a ton of cost in broker fees and taxes.

2. List prices don’t move market averages – sales do – the 5d and 30d moving average are already there and the markup could be tacked onto either of these depending on CCP’s vision.

1 Like

Sure you are talking about a percentage here and a percentage there. But this is aggregated over the entire player base. At any given time, there are certainly players moving around because of skill books. So yes, this hurts the game - in a small way - but that’s what ccp does - they make changes to help the “children” - a little chip here a little chip there and then eve dies slowly from a lot of little cuts.

CCP keeps promising us that they are making changes for the “children” - its too hard to be a new player apparently despite that fact that eve had its best growth when the game was substantially more complicated – yet have any of these changes caused substantial new player growth in the game? There have been no hordes of new players coming to eve and this skill book change wont make a difference. However, my lowsec pipe is dead. The systems I live in have been slowly dying. As the systems die, more people leave the game, and you get a downward spiral - there is nothing to do so people leave, and because there are no people there is nothing to do. None of CCP’s recent changes help this situation - putting people in instances to pve, getting rid of skillbooks, allowing remote injection of sp, etc. . . . all encourage people to either remove themselves from public or stay docked. Nothing is game crippling in itself, but its death by a thousand cuts. And everyone of these changes has its fanboi backing it, failing to look at what it does to the big picture.

3 Likes

I already see crying babies who will loose because they are older than any game in current players base…

thing is, game need to be profitable not for you, and skill book system is old like eve, and ppl dont like that…
it will not hurt yours skill farms and injectors market … nobody buys them anyway

This seems like adding simplicity for simplicities sake. So many purchases in EVE require moving around. Why should skill books be any different? It also adds clarity in which skills CCP thinks are important for new characters. Part of the appeal of EVE is the lack of hand holding. Players need to reach out to find what they are looking for.

I am hoping that this change is a result of other iteration because alone it screams wasted design time.

1 Like

I have advocated loud and long for the removal of the attribute system, and the conversion of skill implants to longer duration cerebral accelerrators. The attribute system is pointless, unnecessarily confusing, and adds nothing to the flavor of the game. Give everybody a base 2700 sp/hr training rate, and let them modify that with accelerators of differing length that you can get from the LP store.

No new player is ever going to figure out the existing system, and even veterans don’t optimize their skill queues because it’s a pain in the ass and most folks don’t have any more free remaps.

1 Like

Complexity is one of the charms EVE has. When I started it gave ‘not like others’ feeling. The more you mainstream it, the faster new player will see EVE as Excel, like most of us.

An idle brain’s is the devil’s playground, these new capsuleers getting it EZ.

1 Like