Devblog: Spring Balance Update Incoming!

Exactly my friend and the currency in Norway is very strong…so they can’t have inflation just because they pay more for a bread than they did 20 years ago

1 Like

so do they have deflation then? If so then most prices will be dropping over the past 20 or so years and deflation has its own set of problems. Its likely that the inflation is just not as bad as it might be elsewhere but if all prices trend up over any period of time that is at least a small amount of inflation.

you have to excuse my over simplification…its been like 30 years since I was in college and learned this stuff.

I don’t even know what to say.

almost all have inflation - the question is how much.
if its 1-2% its okey.
5-10 - not good
100500%… its already agony before death

1 Like

Yes they (YOU) do:

Economics appears to be hard.

1 Like

that is still short sighted cause your small fleet (low social cost) would not dare to go against 20 rorqs in a belt. but if one rorq is present in the belt you would. the changes do not hurt where its needed on the rorq it only hurts the little fish. so do tell how this will change the mineral generation of eve for the power blocks ?

1 Like

Assuming the little fish use mostly barges and the big fish use mostly rorqs, the upcoming changes that nerf the mineral generation of rorquals and buff the mineral generation of barges around a rorqual will slightly shift the mineral generation in favour of the little fish. Sure, the big fish will still generate more, but this change is in favour of the guys mostly mining in barges.

When I stared playing this game a few years ago I thought it had some of the most intelligent players on the planet playing.

This thread seems to be proving me wrong.

2 Likes

Nah, a salad has some lettuce in it does not mean that it is all lettuce. The game does have some smart people in it but we also have others who also enjoy the gameplay. Not sure where I fit on that spectrum but honestly? I do not worry about it.

How does the Cyclone and the Abaddon get buffed, but not the Rokh?

1 Like

Can you imagine going to a redneck gathering and NOT expecting to hear racial slurs? Because I can’t.

In short, this is a forum. This is the go to place for people to complain and get angrier than they already are. That’s always been the case here, reason be damned.

1 Like

It can’t hurt small groups because small groups can’t harvest the resources quickly enough for the supply cap to be relevant. If you’re saying it hurts small groups because it will encourage larger groups to hold more space, well, maybe? But currently there’s a lot of nullsec space that looks like a ghost town: population density for most groups is pretty high. There’s a lot of space that’s under-utilized.

1 Like

Insert clip of John Wayne saying, “That’ll be the day…”

I’m sure CCP would much rather you spend a bunch of real cash on skill extractors. They’ll never reimburse Rorq SP or ships.

On the other hand, maybe now’s the time to wander over to the cash store and inject / plex your way into a few more Rorqual characters: afterall, yields will be down, and you gotta keep them profits up!

lol

Unfortunately, that’s not how it works out, no. Let’s look back at your original proposals:

The only way changing the spawn rate doesn’t slow down a small group is if the small group can’t clear a single anom in the window of play that they have. If they can, then the respawn rate matters. But if they’re that small, they’ve only got a very limited window to begin with… and that makes them easy prey. A group that has that little manpower… won’t last long in null. No way around that: that small, they’re too vulnerable.

Reducing the amount of minerals in the sites just means clearing each anom faster. Which is, in effect, the same as nerfing the spawn rate, because it’s X minerals / hour available.

Changing the rock sizes doesn’t really impact mining ships too much, unless you also adjust the actual diameter of the anomaly as well. And even then, the range on strip miners is immense, especially with boosts. As well, Rorqual-drifting is a well-understood technique for chasing moon rocks, so moving from rock to rock in anoms isn’t really much of an interruption in the big groups these days. Smaller groups that don’t necessarily have that moon experience might not have picked up that skill.

See that’s my point: I would much rather CCP nerf minerals acquired / hour by increasing idle time than by increasing the amount of mining time required. Mining (along with every other PvE activity in the game) is immensely un-fun-- the fewer man-hours I need to devote to it, the better. Smaller sites, more downtime between sites-- both OK in my book. Making me sit in the goddamn anom 20% longer to get the same quantity of materials? Lame.

I don’t know how people want to define “small nullsec groups.” If we’re defining it in terms of vulnerability of mining ships rather than pure player numbers, almost every non-Goon group in the game should be considered a “smaller group” at the moment: we’re the only ones who seem to field Rorqs in large numbers / are capable of regularly protecting them.

IDK how Rorq-drifting works for most people, since it’s gonna put them perpetually out of range of depots and thus unable to refit or stash their drones at all. It also puts your excavators at risk due to increased travel time between your ship and the rocks if you’re doing it in a static belt. Not a viable tactic for normal mining IMO.

CCP clearly want people to go back to mining in barges: I’m just saying, if you spread the rocks out and make it necessary to swap targets more frequently, it’s another incentive to dock the Rorq. As you said, mining laser range is fantastic, and nobody wants their excavators slowboating 20km.

Right, but increasing idle time means slowing down the smaller groups, too. As soon as they can clear an anom, they’re hit by that delay, too. We have enough rorqs, working enough anoms in enough systems, that any slowdown isn’t really going to matter too much to us. But a small group that’s forced to waste even more time waiting? They’ll be hurt proportionately more.

I do agree, though, that moving back to barges seems to be the preferred way to tone things down… but is this enough? I don’t know. Just in terms of getting to anoms, the rorq’s jump drive can be a big factor: ‘do I have to drive my alts around in interceptors to jump into the hulks?’ A couple of ideas got kicked around on PTT earlier. One was allowing Rorqs to fit an ‘Industrial Portal Generator’… let them bridge exhumers, barges, mining frigates, etc around. Hell, let them bridge freighters. Improve the effect of mining director boosts directly, and let mobility be the big advantage the rorq brings to the mining fleet.

Another was to allow jumpcloning to/from a rorq’s drone bay to not hit the 24h timer, but that could be abused for invasion, too.

Will these changes be enough to get people to mine in barges? I highly doubt it. The Rorq will still be the fastest, most convenient way to get ore, so that’s what people will use. I’m sure a lot of users will simply double down by increasing the size of their Rorq fleets to offset the excavator nerfs. Of course the group that will benefit the most from these changes will be the Imperium, due to our ability to field limitless Rorqs with near-impunity.

When people said, “small nullsec groups,” I kind of assumed they were talking about truly small groups. I know when I mine by myself with my pair of Rorquals-- even if I’m mining next to one or two other people in their Rurquals, it takes aaaagggesss to clear each anom. Thus my argument that it wouldn’t impact small groups (because they’ll never finish all the anoms in a system in a day anyway).

If you’re talking about groups big enough to field piles of Rorquals and flip colossals all day long, then yeah, they would be affected too. But at that point couldn’t it be argued that you’re looking at a fairly large and capable group? IDK.

I’m all for buffing Rorqs’ mining bonuses. I’m of two minds on the idea of letting them bridge stuff: on the one hand, I would use it a lot. On the other hand, so would everyone else. There are already so many safe ways to move around space now that it’s kind of demoralizing trying to hunt anything. On the other hand, at least you can make a strong argument that mining ships will by definition end up in space a lot of the time waiting to be blown up, so perhaps they’re not the worst candidates for teleportation. Allowing them to bridge freighters… ehhhh. Again: of two minds-- on the one hand, tons of people already use titans for this, so putting in a Rorq mod that did it would just democratize the technique a bit more. On the other hand, will it make it too easy to move large cargo? Are JFs (or cargo Rorqs, for that matter) not enough already?

Yeah. I’m really disappointed with the state of this game right now. Semi-unrelated rant but the addition of the new Upwell jump gates and cyno beacons has made a bad situation even worse for people who like to hunt other people. Now not only are there citadels spammed literally all over the goddamn place, but people don’t even need to leave their citadels’ grids for any reason anymore. It feels like you can do just about everything under the watchful eye of a Keepstar DD now, it’s crazytown. Every time CCP make things easier / safer for stupid and careless players, they’re depriving someone else of PvP activity. I’m not sure the game needs more shortcuts.

Right, but you can do that because you don’t represent a large amount of the manpower of the larger org. If a group is small enough that we’re talking about a dozen rorqs total they’re not holding space for very long. Someone else will come along to push them out.

I’m not talking colossals… I’m talking smalls. Because a group that small probably won’t be able to hold onto a system long enough or well enough to upgrade the ihubs.

And yeah, I agree there needs to be more opportunity to blow stuff up… but there needs to be more reason to do it, too… and right now, there ain’t much of one. Everything’s skewed toward staying home and building your war machine, and away from using it, lest those home regions be undefended.

S’kinda why I’ve been so set on ‘figure out what the game should look like, then work down to make it that way’. Bottom-up, piecemeal solutions just make things disjointed and disconnected… like we have now.

1 Like

We’ve had 2 years of insane Rorqual proliferation. 2 years where minerals prices have absolutely tanked due to fleets of Rorquals mining at a pace that puts several other macro aspects of game balance out of whack. 2 years where Rorquals would have 50k+ dps EHP active tank, with a panic button that rendered them invulnerable.

I don’t mind about the yield nerf, the tank nerf is slightly annoying, but what shits me off the most is the excavator size nerf. We are already risking 6B+ on field, and now you are saying we cannot even save all 5 of our hideously expensive excavator drones? Are ccp going to nerf the price of the excavator drones as well?

Highly doubtful. I haven’t changed my opinion, if this nerf to the size of excavator drones go through, CCP will loose me as a customer. Yeah I might not mean much, but I will go out of my way to convince people NOT to play Eve Online.

2 Likes