Did I just duplicate my modules or is it a game feature?

Hi, (obviously) I am new here and I wanted to ask something.
I just finished the tutorial and started doing missions from agents.
I have 2 ships: Velator and Venture.
While trying to figure out how the module/fitting system works, I think I duplicated my modules and this doesn’t seem like it was supposed to happen.
Here’s a screenshot of my Item Hangar: https://prnt.sc/ge877u

Steps to reproduce duplication of modules:

1. “Assemble” both ships
  2. “Strip Fitting” from the active ship
  3. “Make Active” the other ship
  4. “Repackage” the first ship
  5. “Assemble” it again and back to step 2.
    (Notice: it only duplicates the civilian stuff…)

I hope I don’t make myself look stupid XD
I’m just trying to figure out how stuff (specifically, the modules) work in this game and I couldn’t easily find a guide/tutorial. (and to be honest, usually I am an “expert” at googling stuff :stuck_out_tongue: )

Any help?

1 Like

Pretty certain it’s intentional. You always get free civilian class stuff every time you get a free corvette (the Velator in your case). The reason for this is so that if you ever get completely wiped out of ships, modules, and isk that you can use the civilian stuff to fight the most pathetic pirates in the game, or slowly mine some ore so you can buy/build something better. Technically the single tritanium the corvette’s come with is so that you also have something to sell/trade for those that play only the market. Civilian class stuff is absolute garbage that can’t even be reprocessed into something better just like the corvette’s themselves.

2 Likes

You get a free civilian corvette every time you arrive in your pod at any station where you don’t have any other ships. This corvette comes with a free civilian mining laser, gun, and basic shield/armor module. If you repackage a corvette and then re-assemble it, the workers will put in a free laser, gun, and basic shield/armor. The civilian modules are crap and don’t reprocess to anything.

The idea behind this unlimited free stuff is, if you somehow get scammed or lose everything you have, you can still get this free ship + basic stuff so you can mine some ore / repeat the career agent missions, and get back on your feet.

Career agent missions are repeatable because there are 12 schools, so you can technically repeat 11 more times, after your first time when you started. Doing the career agent missions gives you several frigate-class ships and a few million ISK. So basically you can get into the free corvette and go find a set of career agents, and do the first few missions with the corvette until they give you a better ship. Or you can mine with the corvette for an hour or so tops, get enough ISK for a Venture mining ship, and go from there.

4 Likes

How modules work in this game:

Ships are vehicles that allow you to undock and get into space. Each ship is designed for a role (DPS, Tank, tackle, electronic jamming, remote repair (heals), scouting, industrial transport, mining, etc.), so when you get into a ship, you basically assume that role (and look for PVP or PVE encounters where that role is a success). Because your character can unlock many ships, you’re basically unlocking the equivalent of a whole account of characters (fighter, mage, healer, etc.), all the roles you want you can unlock on one character, or create alts if you want.

In any case, the ships are basic vehicles but they don’t have any “abilities” until you install modules to them. Modules have abilities: weapons shoot or otherwise do damage, shields / armor can repair damage to your ship, afterburners or microwarpdrives make you go faster, various electronic jamming modules let you jam things, etc. You unlock modules like you unlock ships, by training the various prerequisite skills. Modules that you install in your ship will appear as buttons that you can activate once you’re in space.

Ships have the following stats:

• various slots for installing modules - high power slots, med power slots, low power slots. You’re limited by the number of slots, and there is nothing you can do to add more slots to a ship (you can switch to a different ship that has more slots).

• power grid and CPU - modules also require power and CPU cycles to be installed into the ship. The power and CPU are limits - you won’t have enough power to install cruiser or battleship-sized weapons, shields, or armor, to a small frigate ship, even if you have the slots. So when you’re looking at modules, keep “small” modules for frigates and destroyers, “medium” for cruisers, battlecruisers, industrials, mining barges, etc., “large” modules for battleships, and “XL or capital” modules for capital ships. There are only two skills to increase the Power Grid and CPU on all your ships: Power Grid Management, and CPU Management. Train them to max. There are several modules (reactor controls, micro auxiliary power cores, co-processors) and rigs that can increase the ship’s power and CPU, but they use up slots, so it’s a trade-off.

• capacitor energy (juice) - some modules require this energy to fire or function; the capacitor recharges itself and the modules and guns suck this energy from it. It’s similar to mana usage for spellcasters. There are a few skills in the Engineering category, and several modules that can increase the capacitor energy that’s available, and there are a number of skills that reduce the consumption of your guns, defenses, and other modules.

• ship bonuses / ship description / ship traits. Most ships will have an indication to what they’re designed for, if you read the descriptions. For example “20% bonus to damage if you use Small (Amarr) Laser Weapons” is a significant DPS bonus for using those weapons, as opposed to Minmatar Projectile guns, on that particular ship. You, of course, have freedom of choice (if you can fit within the ship’s slots and power grid/cpu), and sometimes people fit differently just to surprise their enemies, but in the majority of the cases, 20% extra DPS is much better than “surprise!”

The game has several sources of information:

1. There is a Ship Chart applet somewhere on the tool bar on the left side of the screen, where you can right-click any ship and see its stats and info.

2. The Market, which you can open from anywhere, lets you use a search function or browse any object in the game, and you don’t have to buy; you can just right-click and “show info” to see its stats, prerequisite skills, “what it’s used for”, etc.

3. The in-game Fitting window has a “Ghost Fitting” button where you can mock / pretend to fit any ship with any modules, and see its performance stats (DPS, tank, speed, etc.) as fitted.

For specific guidelines for how to fit a ship, I would recommend EVE University’s guide. EVE University is a player corp., and they have a very good wiki, and also classes and video tutorials if you want more info. Feel free to ask questions here, too, and we’ll try to answer.

7 Likes

Wow you really explained a lot for me.
Thank you @Donkyhotay and @Memphis_Baas.

1 Like

I just want to point out this was excellent information, useful to any new player.

o7

1 Like

Thank you. Here’s some additional information:

As mentioned above, your character sheet is about unlocking access to ships and to modules. The typical character starts with a few skills already memorized at 1 square, and most characters will need to buy additional skill books from the market and inject them into their character sheet, then set them to train. The books for the basic skills are cheap, 20-50k ISK, the books for the advanced or rare drop skills are expensive (millions ISK).

While there are no “class” limits (you’re a fighter so you can’t cast spells), there ARE prerequisite skills that you must train before you can train other (more advanced) skills. Skills are organized into categories, in your character sheet AND on the market. These categories are:

• Ship skills - these skills will unlock ships for you to fly; once you’ve unlocked, you can buy that ship and fly it. If you train the skill higher, the bonuses for the ship (“20% damage bonus for small laser weapons, for each level that you have trained in the ship skill”) get bigger.

• Weapon skills - guns (lasers, projectile / cannons, or hybrids (railguns, blasters)), missiles, drones - you should train the weapons that match your ship(s). For example, if you prefer to fly Caldari ships, they mostly use rail guns and missiles of various sizes, so train Hybrid Weapons and Missiles.

• Core Support Skills - Engineering, Electronics, Navigation, Targeting, Armor, Shields, Rigging - these skills will improve the performance of ALL your ships, by improving the various subsystems by 5% per each level trained. With more power and more CPU you can fit bigger / better guns / armor, and the other skills let you target from farther away, fly faster, etc.

• Miscellaneous / Industry skills - Trade, Industry / Manufacturing, Science, Planetary Management, Cybernetic Implants, etc. - train as needed, although it’s a good idea to get the basic skills - everyone needs to be able to trade, transport junk around, mine a little if necessary, etc.

As you go up in ship sizes, or from the basic Tech 1 ships to the more advanced Tech 2 or Navy or Pirate ships, you need to also remember to train the corresponding medium or heavy weapon skills, as well as more and more of the Support skills so that you have enough fitting and juice to put in the bigger modules that these ships require.

Frigates are pretty basic and rely on speed and agility to survive; to fit a frigate you just fill out the guns and maybe a shield or armor repair module, and an afterburner for speed, and you’re set. The heavier ships (cruisers, battlecruisers, battleships) are too slow for that; they typically have to sit there and absorb whatever punishment comes their way, so your fitting and flying styles will switch from “nimble” to “I better fit a serious tank, with extra shielding or armor plates, and with resistance modules to reduce damage.”

3 Likes

MB is right. The core skills will make a huge difference in the long run of all you will fly in Eve. Try to get them up sooner than later. When I came back to Eve as an alpha, I didn’t realize how much I was missing of the core skills, and how much better it made all my ships.

As an alpha, I love my cruisers, I don’t take out my frigates or destroyers near as much as cruisers. Love my vexor for general use and thorax for lower end DED sites.

The civilian stuff just automatically comes with all rookie ships. Every time you put the rookie together, the guys in the hanger puts the civilian equipment on.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.