Discussion of Centralized Feedback Thread policy

Copied from my own comment elsewhere, in response to the policy of merging discussions i to the feedback thread when there is an open official feedback thread.

I can see both sides of the thought process behind centralized discussion of proposed changes:

A) On the one hand, centralizing puts all of thoughts in one place so folks don’t have to dig around to find relevant info.

B) On the other, the centralized threads are often massive and hard to keep up with.

I don’t think either approach is perfect, but, CCP has established the first path (option A) and we’re stuck with it right now. I think it is worth discussing that situation (the requirement to centralize update discussion).

Option A pros:

• Single place for Devs to look for feedback
  • Single place for forum members to provide feedback

Option A cons:

• Prevents stand-alone discussions that could be used to refine feedback before posting it to the main thread
  • Is extremely difficult to navigate related comments/sections of discussion
  • can rapidly become so large that players are unable to readily read through for pertinent content (Summarize function doesn’t really handle these threads that well).
  • Requires moderators to manage merging all the discrete threads together when they inevitably are posted separately

Option B pros:

• Individual Discussion threads can be focused on specific aspects of the change and how it relates to other gameplay mechanics
  • Allows for more structured public conversations between posters
  • Summarize Topic is able to adequately condense thread into a readable narrative

Option B cons:

• May result in duplicate threads/same post in multiple threads
  • Feedback not re-posted into the official thread may not be seen by developers

There are probably additional pros/cons. Please outline your thoughts on the approaches here, and how each approach impacts your willingness to engage in feedback/dev blog discussion threads.

@Ramona_McCandless As someone with a recent experience with the above, would you care to comment on this?

Well, I suppose Id say, I agree with the points raised above, and Id say that yes having a central thread for devs to read if they choose should be a given, but that there should be room for people to discuss it.

Personally, Id say that the main thread should have a posting limit of 1, and that there should be a seperate discussion thread for it.

Id just like to make the point also that feedback ararely feels like it is, as such. Many times it would be great to know the actual intention, success, failure or opinion of the peole farming our opinions, or even if there is such a being.

It’s worth mentioning that any “forked” threads that link the official post will place a “backlink” on the post, so anyone wanting to examine forked posts only needs to look at the bottom of the opening post.