Do You Feel Sorry For People Who Think Video Games Are Real?

If you think $15 a month is bad, you should have seen what MMO’s (MUDs back then) cost when it was the ISPs handling the sub. Con? You do know game developers that continually update and work on a game and provide a continual service need to eat, right?

And EVE is pay to win in the same way that buying a hotdog is pay to poop.

1 Like

I remember EVE for what it was when I joined, it was fun it had more people fighting small fun fights,it had less paranoia and stupidity too you could find a Corp if you searched a bit and do stuff together now it’s endless new Corp spam by noobs or getting sucked up in the n+1 grind of nullsec,we even had fun fights in nullsec with no caps no triage no nothing just 30v30 50v50 and everyone looked back on it ‘what a great fight it was’

1 Like

Since simple things don’t make you happy anymore…
Seems to me that you have a very boring life.

i think they were talking about star citizen not eve

Right up until they ended their post with “kinda like EVE”.

Shades a touch off don’t you think? Maybe make the shadows stretch out from under the ships a bit more.

oh didnt see it ok

These are screenshots. I didn’t edit them. There are no decent shadows because there are heavy spotlights all around the ship, and no sun overhead because I’m on the dark side of a moon of a gas giant. The top pic actually has this moon’s companion moon on the horizon.

aka a sphere mesh with a texture slapped on it and some particle effects.

thats what a moon is

1 Like

Include the fact you can land on it and explore the entire surface of it in an SRV, sure. So what? If it works, it works.

For the record, that ship in the pic is my Anaconda. I named it the Argo. The bridge is up the top and on the rear of the ship, right next to the ‘Argo’ lettering. With a 155m length and 62m beam, it’s actually bigger than a Rifter. And you don’t fly it with a camera drone, you fly ships in this game from the cockpit, with a stick and throttle. Unless you’re a nub and want to use a controller or mouse and keyboard, which you can but that’s dumb.

Is there anything to explore on the surface?

99,999% is rocks anyway, like irl.

1 Like

For the time being, the only planets you can land on are airless ones, so aside from a few alien (Thargoids, Guardians) ruins, and some randomly generated cool stuff you might come across, and some stunning unique features you’ll encounter from time to time, the exploration is with your imagination on that count. The next phase of planetary landings developments is gas giants (you’ll be able to scoop free hydrogen and helium for fuel), where they’ll get atmospheric systems figured out, followed by planets with thin atmospheres and stable surfaces, then the thicker ones, then planets with unstable surfaces (volcanic worlds, ammonia world), then finally garden worlds (or earth likes). Earth-likes on there own will come in phases cuz some of the worlds need to be crafted by hand.

Now if you go to any of the airless worlds or moons in Sol, however, our solar system, the view of the sun from the Coriolis Basin on Mercury, for example, is gorgeous. And there’s nothing like a Saturn-rise from the surface of Enceladus. Europa, Ganymede, and Callisto are there and all these worlds are hand-crafted based on actual data and images gathered by probes and satellites.

Keep in mind this game only came out of beta in 2015, and they’re crafting a 1:1 scale galaxy that includes all the IRL stars and planets we know about, including known exoplanets like those around TRAPPIST-1. I think this is a game for people more into real astronomy, tbh, even if the flight physics aren’t exactly ‘realistic’, but the ability to travel to the black hole at the middle of the galaxy was what sold me on it tbh, if nothing else. The star field at the core is quite extraordinary.

Not sure if I follow. Is there anything useful or valuable to be found?

I can “explore” space in EVE, too, when I double-click into empty space and fly straight into space. Only there is nothing I get from doing it, like irl.

Yeah, this too. The point of going to the moon is to go to the moon. The ‘exploration’ is the experience. You get to a point where you think that once you’ve seen one, you’ve seen em all, but then you accidentally stumble across something you’ve never seen before and you’re wowed all over again.

Sure. Great views, canyons to fly through at Mach 5 in your Taipan fighter, the experience of being on another world.

Oh sure, there are materials you can prospect that enable you to customise your ships or craft things like ammo on the fly, there are lots of things on the surface of planets, but the best thing is the experience itself. I don’t play game to get shiny digital stuff. That stuff is the tools I use to engage in the experience. My ship isn’t an end, it’s a means.

This doesn’t translate into a game really. As soon as player competition comes into it, is it all about gaining money, resource, skills, XPs and levels. So when players don’t get anything from exploring surfaces will also nobody be doing it apart from the odd kid who just dilly-dallies while his friends move on to get better ships and gear.

I’m not talking about EVE, I’m talking about Elite. If Elite is a competitive game, then my grandfather is the King of Antarctica.

It translates just fine, especially for people who want to see the galaxy just for the sake of seeing it. I don’t think you understand or comprehend the point of the Elite games on the whole. It’s okay, most people these days don’t, but it’s not about ‘getting the best stuff’. People who play it to do that burn out, and the ‘dilly-dalliers’ as you call them are the ones who stick around. This game is specifically for people who want to stop and smell the roses. That doesn’t mean there’s no gameplay. There’s plenty. But what you do with it is as much up to you as what you do in EVE is.

And for the record, I’ve dilly-dallied my entire experience on Elite and have all the best stuff. You don’t get much better than what I’ve got. A Corvette, a Cutter, an Anaconda (my favourite), and a whole bunch of smaller stuff scattered all about that I use not just for PVP but for exploration, mining (which is WAY better in this than in EVE), PVE bounty hunting, etc. I made triple elite in 2016, and dilly-dallied all the way there.