Do you have a convention for naming your ships?

I never thought of that.
Good idea!

Edit: I name my ships (at the moment) something like: VOTE FOR LORELEI!

2 Likes

Simulated 'name of hull ’

1 Like

Royal Navy ships of the same class, because for instance naming a myrm Warspite just makes me smile

1 Like

If the fit is significantly unusual or was requested by me, I name it after the pilot that gave me the idea, in honor of their memory. Basically this means that a bunch of carcasses with their name on it litter lowsec but that’s the kind of cat I am…

Oh and otherwise with my own fits, it varies. On Ravana, occult names mirroring the SoCT and my RL work, such as Tetragrammaton, Hermes, The Kybalion, etc, on The Golden Serpent, latin snake species names appropriate to the ship: Tropidolaemus, Eunectes murinus, Crotalus, etc…

1 Like

Ive named: Gnosis-Disco Stick, Vigilant-Fist of George W, Raven-Pointy Missile Thing, etc. I like funny.

1 Like

I name my ships after my waifus because I’m a no life weeaboo.

4 Likes

I use this
Yes I’m deeply upset that “frank exchange of views” and many of the other great names are too long.
Yes I’ve petitioned CCP
Yes they told me to stop
Its a sore point.

11 Likes

I name all my ships after active US Navy vessels that start with the same letter as the ship type.

As they blow up, they get a roman numeral after their name when I replace them with a new ship of the same type. For example, I’ve got a Magus named USS Mahan XIII, because I lose a lot of Magi.

4 Likes

if its a Drake, its always gunna be named Chris. I’m on Chris IV already.

Oh yea, my Drake is named Fedo. The Fedo was modeled after the Drake. Look at it.

1 Like

I have a whole nomenclature for my prototypes (with letters corresponding to various stuff), forenames (preferably princesses names from ancient books) to describe the function of the ship in the arsenal, and a roman number that increase after each new prototype for this function.

Killmarks are an interesting idea though.

1 Like

Mine are always gathered by type: elysium, nostromo, serenity, noah’s ark (for hauling&mining), prometheus, voyager, avalon, orion (exploration), sulaco, pegasus, bifrost (cruisers/BC), liberator, hammer, goliah, galactica (battleships)

1 Like

I don’t have any particular convention beyond that I usually llft stuff from popular culture; Series, song and album names, from games etc. For example many of my Minmatar ships have names from Kate Bush’s songs like “Deeper Understanding”, “There Goes A Tenner” “Love and Anger”. Then some other ships are called for example “Highwater-Trousers” (Fallout 3 reference), “Outlaw Star” (a manga and anime, titular spaceship in said series) and so on and so forth. Oh, and my Leopard is called “Galaxy Express 999”.

But there is no particular reasoning why I name ships like I do, beyond that I think the name fits, for some reason or another.

1 Like

depends I have way to many ships for any 1 naming convention, but sansha ships are something dealing with darkness, amarr types are religious except for my Paladin named Glados, a Golem named Twilight Sparkle (a friend named) a mach named Epona, orca named Free Willy (a friend named) and various other fun names. I also have a 1400mm Vargur named Clear Skies due to the fact of 1 gun 1 shots a bc.

1 Like

This is why I name my small ships (eg an interceptor)

Sabriz Adoudel’s Nyx

As for larger ships, they get called an Enyo or Eris.

2 Likes

Bump Mach “Ric Flair Drip”

Mining Rokh “Roid Rage”

Caldari Navy Raven “Nevermore”

Rattlesnake “Harvester Of Sorrow”

Falcon “LOLOLOLOLOL”

1 Like

I named my probe " cookie crumble"
rupture “the brown pearl”
corax “space u boat”
Vexor"coffee time"
Hurricane"eve star dessi"
Magnate"suck me"

1 Like

LOL, I also have a Corax named “U-571”

I have an alt that does the same thing. I was tickled pink when I found that the kanji could be copy/pasted successfully.

All of Gadget’s ships have Icelandic names.

–Comodore Gadget

1 Like

British navy ships of the same class where possible and if I am not lazy at that moment. Otherwise I use one random single capital letter.

I might start using a question mark now that I am thinking about it. The question mark goes along with the mysteries surrounding wormholes which I spend most my time.