Do you have a convention for naming your ships?

Wh exploration or gas harvesting or scout ships:

Asteroid (Bistot)
Asteroid (Veldspar)

:slight_smile:

1 Like

I used to name all my ships after famous RL pirate ships.

Like my Bhaalgorns always carry the name Queen AnneĀ“s Revenge.
Armageddons were ā€œRoyal Fortuneā€.
Absolutions were ā€œGolden Hindā€

and so on :).

2 Likes

For the longest time I never re-named my ships. Just went with what Eve gave it, like ā€˜DeMichael Crimsonā€™s Probeā€™ or whatever ship I had assembled.

Then someone mentioned I should name my ships differently cuz peeps could easily see who you are when theyā€™re Combat scanning. So then I just started naming my ships like ā€˜DMCā€™s Probeā€™.

Obviously that doesnā€™t do a good job of hiding my identity so I then started picking names that portrayed the ships function or similar to itā€™s original name so I could easily recognize it, like for the Venture I named it ā€˜Rockerā€™ or for the Hurricane I named it ā€˜Sugarcaneā€™.

2 Likes

I do the same, except my Gila was the Revenge. But please, Sir Francis Drake was a Privateer, not a pirateā€¦

2 Likes

Game of associations. I look at the ship and first thing that comes to my mind becomes the name.

1 Like

I need to add two more Machs to the lineup and name them ā€œYou Really Shouldnā€™t Have Undockedā€ and ā€œHope Youā€™ve Got A Web Altā€ā€¦

Oh, and a third one ā€œYou Might As Well Log Outā€ā€¦

I name all my mine aftrer British WW1 era warships.

1 Like

Warspite should be in there then :slight_smile: Survivor of Jutland. My taxiceptors are called Turbinia too, it seemed fitting.

1 Like

Anything up to and including Underwater Sunlight is acceptable. After thatā€¦ well, I try not to think about it :grimacing:

1 Like

This is genius. I might start naming gank ships accordingly

2 Likes

Though keep in mind this will not fool anyone (unless the guy is a complete amateur) as your ship type can also be seen on d-scan in a separate column but it is still funny nevertheless and good luck for your opponent to find out who you are based on such a ship name so still useful as well.

1 Like

Only extremely reckless pilots get ganked anyway, and it can help fool those people.

Diligent players are invulnerable in highsec.

True, d-scan is of no concern to you then. The scenario I described only really applies to wh space (or outside hisec in general, unless you operate under wardec or fw).

Though for ganking ships I might use more flavored names such as ā€œRoaming Kaijuā€ though that is more fitting for a bumping mach or a gate / station camping ship (tornado or such comes to mind) or in general freighter hunting ship (destroyer or preferably larger as the name implies a larger ship).

However for miner ganking and/or bumping ships the asteroid names seem fitting still so thereā€™s that.

Navitas - space fish
Rokh - flying rock
Astero- hole n stick

1 Like

Yeah.

Iā€™ve used a Procurer named ā€œUngankableā€ as a scout and warp-in target in the past. (Itā€™s also a passive scanner). Even the more diligent highsec miners tend to see a Procurer as no threat, especially with a name that seems to be anti-CODE bait.

Have you ever got ganked by someone else by ā€œaccidentā€? :smiley:

No, diligent players are basically immune to highsec aggression, and I know all the tricks to keep safe from doing my own ganking.

I have a habit of naming BC ā€œThunder Childā€, if you see a ā€œScorched Heavensā€ itā€™s probably me.

1 Like

NO point really naming a ship, at some point its going to explode. If i were to name one it would be called ship.

(4 letters in the characters name) (3 numbers that mean something only to me) (ship call sign like ā€˜The Cancerā€™ or ā€˜Spiderpigā€™)

1 Like