Do you prefer the new or old forums? [POLL]

I’d imagine that if it’s being hosted by Discourse, it’s probably also a lot cheaper to maintain?

1 Like

There were many reasons one of the big ones being performance. Regarding the wasted space, you may want to try the new ‘wide screen’ mode, this was pushed out last night after many requests were received. You can do this on the interface section of your preferences window.

You may also want to complete the tutorial to get a better feel for the features on these forums. To do that, take a quick look at the message Disco Bot sent you when you logged in for the first time.

1 Like

Why not make a page scroll, where pages are loaded instead of posts and there is clean border to differentiate one page from another when scrolling down?

And slider would have to show page count, and posts would be numbered in top right corner of the post?

2 Likes

Finally Discourse :slight_smile:
nginx/1.11.8 +
HTTP/2 +
HSTS +

Like it :smiley:

2 Likes

That wasn’t the answer to his question.

1 Like

Can we get rid of it? Please?

It’s distracting, functions horribly more than actually being useful, takes up yet more space, interferes with any approach to a wide screen theme, breaks just about every expectation / common use pattern, and breaks with an impressive amount of best practices in usability.

Form should never go over function. Modern isn’t necessarily good. Shiny is for the crows. Customers aren’t crows - not even in EVE Online :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That pole is a trap. It save my vote instantly but i wanted to vote something else -.-

Anyway this hissy was over and over every new thing in EVE. U guys used it for a few hours, and already thinks it is horrible, but that is dumb.

I have only one problem with it. It not scrolling smoothly when I press end for example, I have to wait for a while, and it is annoying couse many area of the forum unused, so I cannot see too much once.

2 Likes

Im not a big fan of all this forced “portable” design on all new forums, but i guess time of PC forums is starting to be over.

2 Likes

The only benefit this forum has over the other is that, for some reason, here I feel more inclined to post. Whether that leads to a positive contribution or not is left to be discovered.

Embrace the novel; though I do wonder what place “:bananaparrot:” has in EVE.

1 Like

Of course it is less functional - You have up to hundreds of threads all on one page and if you don’t remember the exact name of the one you are looking for you can’t search it…

At the time I posted what you responded to, there was 102 threads in the category i was trying to search.

Even trying to search my own name to find a post doesn’t seem to work, according to the search function I have made 2 posts. Pretty sure that is far from accurate.
The search filtering leaves a lot to be desired, search by relevance (sure) but relevance to what? I just want to find my posts.

5 Likes

You can get a list of all your posts when you klick at your profile picture in the top right and then on your name. A bit of a workaround but if you can’t find what you are looking for with the search it might help.

2 Likes

Not being able to search for it if you don’t remember it is no different at all to the old forum. If it’s a fast moving forum and you don’t remember what you are looking for, you are just as screwed on the old forum.

Yes, this feedback forum has a lot of activity at the moment, but different functionality doesn’t mean less.

I know you like to be pretty negative about any sort of change, so there probably isn’t much point trying to help, but you never need to search for your own posts. You can access a complete list of them in your own profile:

There is far more you can do in this forum than in the old one. It just involves a different process.

4 Likes

Processes which are at odds with quite a bit from normal expectation patterns, not to mention usability. Plus there are features lacking, more importantly missing. As I said elsewhere, it’s the same drama of dumping it on people, then playing thank you for feedback, while still pushing things top down, from a shiny perspective with lots of approaches which fall outside of usability standards while “forgetting” the more common ones. Anyway, that’s all been discussed back and forth, and as we know - when it comes to anything web stuff, it’s always the same situation.

Which is a shame.

3 Likes

Where have they been published? That would be an interesting read.

1 Like

Just built better on it as it’s every were at this point in the game. To hard to find topic’s.

1 Like

I stopped by one of the official Discourse pages and apparently there’s an off-the-shelf Slack integration? Is that something that might happen?

i wonder how many ccp alts voted in that poll for it to actually have a positive result. when all the actual user feed back has been unanimously negative

3 Likes

can you make a mode that just makes it identical to old forums with no gimmicks or forced 2000% zoom.

3 Likes

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/efficiency-vs-expectations/ is a fun little starting point. Especially since the psychology of it all is brutally important for a thing like EVE and its functional continuity requirements :stuck_out_tongue:

That said, you can get a lot of information searching through Google Scholar for terms like Usability, User Experience, User Interactions, User Expectations. It’s been down to a science for years, it’s just that discourse is stuck in a loop of trying to present new wheels by means of polishing it up while forgetting common standards. Which is one of the prime reasons why companies that opt for their solutions so often phase those out because it ends up undermining the very behavioural requirements for active communities.

4 Likes

Did you miss the words “starting point”? A little effort really is a must, after all it’s a discovery process exactly because of expectations. A little digging will demonstrate how counterproductive it is to dump everything on a tabel and spell it out, as opposed to figuring things out.

Humans are an odd species, we never engage in an exchange without seeking to apply patterns (blame the evolution of our brains really), it gets a lot easier when people find answers themselves.

1 Like