Does 'AFK' mining really exist?

How can so many losses in Highsec happen if there is no AFK mining?

1 Like

Don’t believe them. There is no afk mining.:relieved::smirk::smirk::smirk:

Boring.

OP - Yes afk mining happens, if I’m mining in my ship and i get up to get a drink, I’m afk though it might be only for a minute or 2. but long term afk is not possible if you want to make good isk, because as you said targeting etc needs to be done. As to the ridiculous notion of a praxis and 1 civilian miner and 7 or 8 cargo expanders, why would you bother?

Having said all of that, everything in this game can be done afk, do you really imagine those 14 hour long battles in null happen and nobody goes bio or gets a drink etc?

This .
we always speak about afk mining but afk pvp exist when you have the slowdown of the server . Or I’m not sure gate camping is the activity with the most apm…

2 Likes

Once upon a time I was in nullsec, running a Venture around some crunchy rocks. I didn’t go AFK, but I probably could have. In the several hours I spent mining, I did not see hull nor hyperdrive of a rat, neutral, or enemy.

Of course, I was running a Venture on ore that’s 16 m3 per unit, so naturally my ore hold filled fairly quickly. I could’ve gone AFK for ten minutes or so and come back to haul it in.

Assuming the same for a larger ship like an Orca, I suppose it’s possible for someone in highsec to have a compliment of drones for mining, and others for guarding the Orca itself, target several rocks with the miners, and go AFK.

(Edited to add: now that I think about it, I can’t remember if it’s the Orca or the Rorqual that’s not allowed in highsec. Oh well, the principle is the same.)

The chances of not getting ganked in that scenario are…I don’t know. Assuming you only had rats sticking their nose in your business and your drones were overpowered for the threat, I don’t see why you couldn’t go AFK for a considerable time.

That is, however, risky and horribly inefficient. There are also bots, as others have mentioned, but I think most non-bot players who “mine AFK” aren’t doing so literally, but multiboxing and giving infrequent attention to their mining ops.

I certainly don’t like the bots, and I’m not a fan of multiboxing either. It just seems damned unsporting, but as far as I know multiboxing is within the rules. I won’t do it, but apart from my (irrelevant) opinion on sportsmanship, I’m not going to grieve anyone over it.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.