Does anyone actually believe this?

Orca doesn’t overshadow barges. Not unless you want to just afk at minimal risk and input actions.
Where your maths likely goes wrong is accounting for drone travel time or lack of said accounting.

2 Likes

That was the first EVE song pretty much everyone was hearing for … 13 years?

It was a good song.

1 Like

This is from someone (OP) that has a fleet of afk Rorquals mining in null sec. Your concerns for high sec miners are very thoughtful, but obviously you have too much time on your hands.

Both Rorquals and Orcas should go back to being support ships, with very limited mining capabilities. Rorquals especially are ruining EVE.

4 Likes

The whole point of them being mining ships was to give them more apm. Otherwise it’s an alt position, not an active pilot.
If you want to reduce their mining you have to find some other way they get more apm.

N.b. I say this as someone who does want mining ships redesigned. But not in a nerf hammer way

1 Like

Well, giving them near automatic mining via drones isn’t a very large boost to the APM. They are almost as easy to set and forget as if they had no mining capability.

One solution would be to nerf base drone mining significantly, but give them some high-APM min-max method to reach near-exhumer levels of yield with much more active play. Then the APM-challenged would still have a ship to fly, as would those who want to “relax” while they mine and not actually play the game, but there would be incentive for an active player to take the role in a fleet.

The trick. of course, is finding some game play that isn’t totally repetitive or boring, although to be honest, active Hulk/Covetor mining isn’t the most engaging thing either so there isn’t a very high bar. Perhaps just turn mining drones into mining fighters and give them a much lower base speed, but have a MWD to move them faster that someone paying attention could click to speed up the process, or maybe do the same for yield. Like maybe some button could light up at a random interval and say 'Rich Ore Vein Detected: Engage mining boost?".

As it is, Rorq/Orca mining has far, far too low Ore/APM as compared to dedicated mining ships, not to mention both are incredibly safe in their most used niche, which in a game that celebrates multiboxing is a terrible combination.

3 Likes
1 Like

Fit a tractor beam and collect those cans your Hulks eject. Remote reps and drones to fend off rats. Plenty of APM to keep you busy during a fleet mining op.

As it is not it has too many bonuses and tries to be everything but a dedicated mining support ship.

Now that I like!!!

Yeah, you werent being respectful when you accused me of being disingenuous multiple times and calling it a hackjob.

Maybe you should realize what youre typing before throwing accusations around?

Oh, I get it. While we were presenting you with hard facts, you were ignoring all that in favor of your own personal experiences.

It all makes sense now.

And yes, @rexxar_santaro nailed it, because he said that Orcas would be more difficult to train into, and not necessarily longer.

PS. Mining drones were included in the yield for Skiffs in our discussions too. The only thing you may need for Orcas is Drone Navigation which increases drone speed, which adds a mere 4 days, as its only 250k skillpoints to 5. So not really.

1 Like

I believe you were being insincere, still do.

And you are doing it again.

I explained what I meant and you got there with this:

The Orca is definitely longer in terms of what I said above.

I happen to have them at 5 on my main characters, so it was taken into account. You guys are paper warrioring, you have to take into account the time spent moving back and forth from the roid and also big roids will impact it too and of course you have a period moving to the next roid. It all adds up when you do a real word comparison, which neither you, Dom or Sol have done.

And this answers your dig above about making sense as well. I detailed all the parameters in the previous thread.

A while back I said something about the Rorqual on the forums, I had the information from an alliance mate who over stated his earnings, someone put me right on that, a Goon actually I thanked him and apologised, he had real life experience of it, I was relying on someone not to embellish their earnings from a Rorqual. Anyway it is what it is.

Why, yes. You can come join us, you know.

Im all for this, actually.

1 Like

How so. After all these people in this thread, please, explain.

Really. Did you actually do the math? Did you actually calculate what you needed?

Sure. If youre 100km away from a roid, and you use your drones, youre not going to get very good yeilds. And thats the point.

When were discussing this, personal experience will differ hugely with how much you care, whether you made pre-made warp points, etc etc etc. Someone who doesnt know how to use a rorqual will have a terrible experience and get 10 mill an hour, while someone who does know how to use a rorqual, will make 150 mill an hour. You can claim to get worse yeilds in the orca than in your skiff, and I can claim to get better yeilds in an orca than in a skiff, and the discussion goes nowhere.

The only objective way to do this, is to use the actual facts and hard numbers.

Notice how we didnt take into account the mining drone travel time for skiffs, either? Even though Orcas will be parked right next to roids, but most people dont even use drones for their exhumers, and use their mining lasers 10km away from the roids. And yet, we included the hard numbers for the mining drones for the skiff, too.

I was talking about the other thread, and then your reply to me in this thread. Do you have Dracvlad derangement syndrome like so many others. Like the Minerbumping threads on me which are hilariously incorrect, see my bio for details.

Yes, it is longer for the Orca and in fact I have the one who is going to be doing the Orca, now sitting in it and my other character is a long way from the Skiff and the Orca training is still longer. Anyway…, you don’t believe anything I say so let us agree to differ.

Being disingenuous again. 100km …, how you got that from this:

I have no idea, you are trolling basically.

Except that I am being very careful to select the nearest roid for the Orca to cut down this impact. So that was insulting…

If you can find any hard numbers on loss of yield due to travel time of the drones and moving to zero with the Orca than feel free to use them. :stuck_out_tongue:

I did in my assessment, though I was sitting at 500m from the Orca so they had a slightly longer journey than the Orca’s drones.

Anyway lets agree to disagree, I am sure you have stuff to blow up in Jita, have fun!

I actually never mentioned you, or the other thread, in this thread.

Based on your “experience” again?

We present hard facts.

You say were wrong because of your “experience”.

K.

I guess you dont understand what an example is.

Youre quoting yourself. Are you calling yourself a troll?

I know. And that was my point. You can have vastly different experiences based on how inexperienced or dedicated you are.

Whoosh, i guess.

Yes. Everyone here disagrees with you. The facts disagree with you. But you agree with yourself, atleast!

…. :roll_eyes:

There are no hard facts produced by you, unless you mean the training to sit in them? I detailed the parameters, you keep ignoring them.

When people use extreme examples like that…, you are trolling.

I called you one.

Still insulting.

Not that I have seen, and the facts that you are using do not take into account drone travel time, Orca travel time and whether you can get to 0 on the roid and of course the fact that drones orbit the roid and if it is a big one it can be quite a return. It all adds up, thus making that paper 100% no travel time amount an irrelevant figure to use and base your disagreement on.

I don’t really understand what you’re trying to point out.

An Orca is faster to train than a Skiff … ok. So what ?

We posted this like 4 times now.

Thats what i used to do when i first started, because i didnt know who was in the belts and was scared, so i would warp in at maximum. People still do this.

But why dont you actually address the argument instead of labelling everything as troll or edgy? You notice that i dont do that to you?

Atleast i dont name call you, like you do to me.

Sure. No one is saying that those numbers are necessarily the yields you will get. But simply dismissing the actual physical data because “my experience” isnt a valid response.

I posted my evidence that Skiffs take longer to train than Orcas. Everyone here agrees. You disagree. You say i was being disingenuous. What is your argument or evidence?

Please, present.

Or is it just “Muh experience”? Is it all just “my experience” with you?

Please tell that to Dracvlad, he still thinks orcas take longer.

I just think you’re both taking this waaay too seriously :slight_smile:

Its EVE, of course we do.