Does Gate-Camping Add Value To EVE?

Nope? Just bring freinds and/or fit a cyno? Gatecamps are stationary targets, just go and shot them.

True, true. But it’s not as if gatecamps would hinder players to to anything SKILLFUL either. Most gatecamp fights seem to be noob on noob action to me, so what? OHH, we would totaly do some smallscale PVP here if it wasn’t for the gatecamps… Yeah, right. I don’t care for the gatecamps just as much as I don’t care for the solo PVE player that got caught in it.

My point is that if you follow your logic to it’s inevitable conclusion, Eve would have no further need of real people. It would end up with nothing but NPC’s playing in all the different roles, against each other.

You can sure tell who has actually camped a gate and therefore knows what is involved and who has not and is just assuming it is easy.

If you have not done it, get educated, go try, come back after you get past being killed by the gate turrents :rofl:

That wasn’t really my point. That was just me responding to your argument that ganking miners is bad for EVE because without miners, there would be no ganking ships.

My actual point – that EVE needs stuff being built AND stuff being destroyed – stands.

Anfd my actual point is that Eve needs stuff to be mined so stuff can be built in order to be destroyed - if you replace any part of that chain with NPC’s, you may as well replace the whole chain.

if there was not way to get ganked in HS, everybody would use

• cargohold freighter, or inert stab + hyper DSTs for bigger package.
DST 10s align 7AU/s
[Impel, 1b5]
Shadow Serpentis Inertial Stabilizers
Prototype Hyperspatial Accelerator

Medium Hyperspatial Velocity Optimizer II
  • smaller ships for smaller packages, eg BR/dramiel/leopard.
BR 5s 14.4AU/s
[Prorator, *Simulated Prorator]

• untanked bowhead for moving ships.

Or the game could improve the mechanics by which people hunt in open space, thereby eliminating the need to sit in 1 spot hoping people show up.

Great idea, let’s make the game focus more and more on a dwindling number of “skilled” players instead of appealing to more players for greater subscription rates and profits. Because focusing all their efforts on a small core of skinner box level addicts never went wrong for a game company, right?

Intel gathering, salt mining and loot farming social or solo activity. It’s an unavoidable part of the game, you need to learn evasion techniques.

2 Likes

Gate camping has many uses, not just to catch random passers by, but also as a blockading technique. It doesn’t just add value to the game, it’s essential to it, for not just the reason listed above, but also because it’s a social activity, like roaming. As a new player, I suggest you play the game for longer, and get to know it better, so you can understand it with a more total perspective, rather than the limited one you have.

No, not everyone complains about it. When I’m flying solo in low sec, and land in a gate camp, I’ll hold cloak, take in the overview and figure out what’s close to me, what I can grab, and what I might be able to take with me in my inevitable demise. Then, I’ll act as quickly as possible to kill it before the camp kills me. I’ve come out of gate camps with up to four kills on occasions as a result. The fact is, the moment you undock, you should consider whatever ship you’re in to be forfeit. Returning home with that ship is a victory on its own.

A lot of stuff in this game seems ‘unfair’, but everything that looks unfair to you is actually entirely within your power to balance out. Massive gate camp? Make some friends, bring a bigger fleet to break it. And by bigger, I mean hotdrop the crap out of it by flying an extremely heavy cyno bait right into the middle of it, letting them think that you’re just another juicy meal, then drop blops, carriers, dreads, and force auxiliaries right on top of them. Now, it’s ‘unfair’ for them.

There are many reasons to gate camp, not the least of which is to snag a few targets of opportunity. There is nothing wrong with this. That is the nature of EVE. The average player in this game is an opportunist, and you probably will be too given more time playing it.

1 Like

I am amused when player bring the “EVE will fail when it won’t dumb down” argument because it makes one think what it was that made EVE so outstanding and successful over all those 15 years.

Easy and nice games come and go. PVE theme parks die like flies. I remember some great games that became mediocre and were forgotten after the developers tried to please the dumb masses. Is there even one single success story of a niche game that saved its butt by going mainstream?

If the time of EVE is up now so be it. But better to go down shoting then slowly becoming one more boring 90% PVE 10% restricted PVP boredrom. I want to shot all the things.

I do agree to an extent, but there’s a difference between making a game that is easily accessible to the widest possible player base with an emphasis on casual players, and making a game that is easily accessible to dedicated, eager players who would be willing to commit to jumping in if only they felt that they would get something out of it and have a place in the community. Even if EVE shouldn’t try to be appealing to as many people as possible, that doesn’t mean that it couldn’t be changed to be more appealing to the demographic it’s targeting.

Most “problems” we discuss here come down to “they have freinds and I prefer to fly alone”. There are many things you can do alone, but roaming lowsec and nullsec in anything but dedicated travel fits and ships is hard. You don’t need much to mop up a gatecamp, but you can’t do it alone.

1 Like

From a player that is not new to this game, and played the game before there was a warp to zero…I think the gate camping has been seriously diminished. I can now literally with some use of a few brain cells avoid ANY gate camp in the game short of 40 discogedons sitting on the other side of the gate. And even then i have better than a 50% at that.

What you take for granted is that you stated “what I hear from everyone” as you are speaking for the player base of some sort. You are not, and this has been brought up over and over again, for over a decade and a half, and as it is true then as it is true now, threads like this, does not reflect the interests nor the true feelings of the player base.

Most players walk into this game not knowing what the core value of the game and why it has been around so long. And the ones that complain about being so harsh, and waving signs that this will kill EVE!!! never stay around long. the players that we do lose are the ones that were the main stay of the community and the dumbing down of EVE has taken away what drew so many to the game.

As far as gate camping, there is, and always has been a strategical value to it. Others that gate camp just to kill stuff is their game play not yours. And have no idea why we have people wanting to devalue someones game play to justify not to have it. If you can’t get through gate camps from high sec through lo-sec…you have no clue how to play the game as you have not taken the time to learn the game. If you spent more time learning how to play the game as you spent picking up some faux social justice mantra, you might have figured it out and realize this post, and many others like it is complete tripe.

I see clearly now that sardonic condescension is more important to being a “veteran” of the game than any kind of skill or time investment, and that the surest way to ensure the longevity of EVE is to jump in to clearly-finished threads, self-aggrandize to the point of parody, and dedicate yourself to the cause of derailing and demeaning every new player that crosses your path. I salute you in your noble effort to save EVE and prevent disgusting new players from ever touching your precious universe.

1 Like

I am amused by predatory disruptive players who think any restriction of their ability to disrupt others is somehow “dumbing down” the game. That’s YOUR limited perception, Eve is more than you can imagine, because all you can comprehend is your next killmail.

1 Like

Yeah sure, because I like EVE for the thrill of its “nothing is safe” environment I have no clue about the other aspects of the game. Those two things are mutual exclusive. Or perhaps what is limited here are your stereotypes of players. Can you imagine that I value my market profits and production lines more because I learned how to avoid ganks, gatecamps and wardecks? I WANT other players to try and disrupt me just as I try to disrupt them, that is what EVE is about for me. That makes the accomplishments so much more satisfying.

Maybe I am right, maybe I am wrong, but I really think that if we eliminate everything that may or may not be “predatory disruptive” to some players there would not be much left of EVE. Without the predators everything else would become meaningless after a while. Sure, we could find way to allow players to opt out of PVP while doing all the other things that EVE is about. Limit PVP to “honorable” thunderdome style fights. But would it be the same? With safe mining, safe hauling and safe production (just excamples…) what would be the “edge” you have over your competitors? More skill points? That sounds thrilling for sure.

Or maybe the constant threats, the constant attempts to disrupt each other are what makes us feel as winners when we succeed. What makes information so useful in EVE. (Name me ONE game were information has such a high value as it has in EVE.) But that overwhelming feeling comes at a cost, and that is to explode in a firey ball now and then when you were not careful and prepared enough.

2 Likes

When you log in to this game, you have already consented to the possibility that something you want to do will come into conflict with something someone else wants to do, because this is a single-shard PVP game with no instancing. The only way you become the ‘prey’ in this game is by choosing to be the ‘prey’.

In other games, you can do your own thing and mind your own business and no one will bother you. But this isn’t other games. You can’t do your own thing and mind your own business WITHOUT someone bothering you. That’s EVE. Adapt or die. It’s that simple.

2 Likes

Well, while your statement about adaptation have some value, the reality of EVE and how the game was developed tend to contradict you, a lot;
If gate campers was supposed to just adapt or die, then gate sentries mechanics was not needed to be dumbed down and nerfed in so many ways…
For newer players i will summarise here the changes (all of them meant to favor gate camping):

1. Gate guns no longer shoot people with suspect or criminal timer
  2. Gate guns no longer shoot aggressors drones
  3. Gate guns instantly forget an aggression aka don’t shoot an aggressor anymore if he warps at some tactical and back; he can shoot then further the same target, with no risk of being targeted again by sentries (this is most absurd of all changes by far)
  4. Gate guns alpha damage was reduced, so is not be anymore a problem for ships with small tank (like frigates) to aggro under sentries fire

To recapitulate, gate sentries was nerfed to death.
And if all that changes are in line with “adapt of die” concept, then we have a big logical paradox here…

1 Like

The only place gate sentries matter on a gate camp is lowsec, and lowsec is lowsec. You jump in there at your own risk. Some would argue that the gate guns are the reason you get big ships on gate camps in the first place. If there were no sentries, you’d see more frigates, because they lock and move a lot faster. As it is, gate sentries largely negate the ability to put frigates onto a gate camp. So yes, adapt or die. This is a PVP game, and it was designed as one from the ground up. The fact non-player sentries exist at all is the only contradiction here. At the end of the day, though, it’s still lowsec, and if you’re relying on sentries in lowsec, you’re doing it wrong.

For the record, I’ve seen more than a few gate camps broken up by other players. I’ve broken them up myself, and I’ve had my own broken up. The gate camp isn’t some unstoppable unbalanced force that you cannot counter.