Does Gate-Camping Add Value To EVE?

Wouldn’t worry. Guy can’t even spell “safe” right even with multiple attempts.

1 Like

Wow – that escalated quickly.

First of all not the players but CCP sets the parameters that define what you can or can not do in EVE and what you should and should not do in EVE. Waiting at a choke point for ships to pass and shoot at them is something we can do and as far as I can tell there was never a statement that we shouldn’t. The only exception beeing the rookie systems.

No-one can force you to do anything, at least no player. But you can’t do everything the way you want either. Conflicts of interests are part of the game and may disturb the way you would prefer to play it.

The only compromise that would treat everyone equally would be single player mode or no game at all. So while I agree that every player’s experience matters equally not everyone can have it their way at the same time. Sad but true.

The trick now is to have the least amount of disappointed people, like a kind of Pareto Efficiency for disappointment. The great question is: Do more players like EVE the way CCP designed it or do more players want its core mechanic changed.

Oww… the burn. I will try to get better in the third language I learned. But do you have more to offer than ad hominem “arguments”?

You are of the opinion that all players need to “git gud” or quit. “Play like me or quit”. “PvP or quit”. “Fleet or quit.” You keep telling people to quit, yet claim to not be trying to force them into anything? You seriously can’t see the flaws in that basic premise?

“Worst” thing I did in highsec was to shoot a lone MTU once. No wardecks, no ganks, I leave the care bears alone. But I shot and get shot on everywhere else, be it evictions, gatecamps, sov-war. But you on the other hand recently shot an astrahus of a 3 man corp your alliance wardeced in highsec. What about that player and the way he wanted to play EVE? Your alliance shoots at bowheads in high security, what value did that add to the game? So don’t give me your “I don’t wanna PVP” crap. You shoot whatever is in your way too and while you were at the receiving end more times then not you are still ISK positive.

And stop presuming what I may say or think. Where did I tell anyone ever to quit? When your ally makes you join fleets you are just in the wrong one for you, nothing to do with me. I explained why I like the danger and thrill. I am totally happy with peaceful highsec or pure indu players under the wings of large null blocks, or whatever else. All fine by me.

But this is a thread about gatecamps. Those are mostly low-sec PVP activities and I don’t mind them. I like to shoot stuff. And when you come through the system where I roam I may try to get you too. Funny enough this is quite easy to avoid and I don’t even get half the ships I try to catch. I don’t do shanigans with neutral bait citadels either. So just use a jumpfrighter, pushX, MWD-cloak or whatever.

Just don’t insist that I can’t go for a lone ship that’s passing through because that would be toxic. How would I even tell the ones that are fine with PVP in low security systems and the one that would feel to much disturbed in their playstyle? Do you name your ships “PLZdontSHOOT”? Sometimes those lone ships are even bait and I explode for their amusement. Still good fights, got me, no hard feelings.

This is EVE Online. Literally everything you do has the potential to come into conflict with what someone else wants to do by design. No one is forcing anyone to play a certain way, you choose to play any way you want. If your choices lead to losing a ship, that’s entirely on you. What you don’t get to do is shackle your personal responsibility, your personal choices, onto somebody else as if they held a gun to your head and made you jump through a lowsec stargate without a scout.

1 Like

Yes. If this game is not for you, play something else. You don’t get to change the game to cater to you, a game that’s been around for fifteen years with the same core PVP design principles that give you more freedom of choice, and more meaningful consequences for those choices, than any other game on the market. It’s literally just like any other game out there - if it’s not for you, you don’t play it.

If you can’t take the heat, you don’t become a chef.

1 Like

Stop telling people to quit EVE, is not your job to decide who is welcome to play this game or not. Also your attitude is very very bad for the CCP business.

I’m not deciding who is and isn’t welcome, I’m telling players that the game is not for them, and they’d have more fun playing something else. It doesn’t hurt CCP’s business anyway, because those kind of players were never going to stick around long anyway. They are going to quit whether I tell them to or not. The simple fact of the matter, whether you like it or not, is that this game is not for everyone, just like every other game in existence. Battle Royale games, for example, aren’t for me, so I don’t play them. See how that works? Sports games and other FPS games aren’t for me, so I don’t play them. See? Simple.

And I’m not just arbitrarily picking random people and telling them to quit. I’m identifying people who clearly don’t like or can’t handle the game as it is intended. That is their problem and only their problem, and not a problem with the game. Ergo, they should quit and play something else. The only people who torture themselves on games they don’t enjoy are literal morons.

At the end of the day though, the only response your comment just now really deserves is:

How about, I’m going to do whatever the ■■■■ I want, and whatchu gun do about it?

1 Like

Don’t decide that either, let them come to their own conclusions. If you cannot help people stay around EVE, at least don’t suggest them to move on, is not productive neither for the community or for the business.

No, I can and will decide that.

We were all new players once and somehow, I’m still here after six years despite being told I should quit myself. If people are going to quit just because I tell them to, then that’s just another reason why they’re not cut out for this game. Hell, at that point, they’re probably not even cut out for the real world if they’re such pushovers.

You are a very nasty boi… :roll_eyes:

Like I give one seventeenth of a ■■■■ what you think, mate. Who even are you?

Doesn’t matter… Your good manners must be applied to all humans. If you had them…

1 Like

No, they must not. I am not obliged to be polite to anyone, not by any law, and not by any virtue, and not by any right. You are conflating a difference of principle with rudeness. I’m actually never rude with people, initially, when I explain to them that this game isn’t for them. Never. But people like you who think they have a monopoly on moral values in relation to how someone plays EVE, you are worth less respect than the skidmarks in my underwear.

My manners, and my respect, are for people who earn them. Not for skidmark hippies who think too highly of themselves like you. And especially not for people who claim moral authority. Not ever.

1 Like

Well, you can be an asshole at any time, that is not prohibited by any law, indeed. But that is a also a choice to be made by you :wink:

Completely irrelevant. So what if I’m an arsehole according to you? You still haven’t explained why being honest with players and explaining why the game won’t and doesn’t work the way they want it to is a bad thing, or why telling them they should play something they actually enjoy is a bad thing. Look, mate, if you’re looking for a statement from CCP about how everyone deserves a participation trophy just for existing, then you’ve come to the wrong developer, and the wrong crowd of gamers. Go to the Riot forums for that nonsense.

But the idea that some random on the internet thinks I’m an arsehole bothers me about as much as rain falling on the other side of the planet - ie, not at all. If you have an argument to make, one with merit, then make it, but ‘arsehole’ is not a synonym for ‘wrong’.

If you really think that makes you a nice guy, for example, then we can stop our debate here as it serve no logic.

I don’t think that makes me a nice guy. I’m not trying to be a nice guy. I don’t give two shits about being a nice guy. I’m nice to people I do give a ■■■■ about, people who’ve earned my respect, but why should I care what some random whelp on the internet thinks about whether I’m nice or not? Why? Give me one good reason. I have a large circle of IRL friends and family, I earn $180k a year hauling air freight, I have a great life and you really think some nobody on the internet calling me an ‘arsehole’ and lecturing me on being ‘nice’ is going to have some kind of impact on that?

There is no debate here. It’s just you saying “you should be nice otherwise you’re an arsehole”. Well, I have a different take on that: I should be honest, or else I’m a liar, and I’d rather be an arsehole than a liar, so I’m not going to play pretend with people and lie to them about whether or not they are cut out for this game. Capiche?

I’m also not going to pretend that I care about CCP’s income as a result of that, because I know for a fact that you don’t either. Nobody really does, you just use that as an excuse to pretend that your ideas are the best ones for making money. Newsflash: CCP are making more money right now than they ever have before.

The other reason there is no debate is that I’m just not debating. I’m explaining why I’m right.

By the way, if what you’re mashing out on your keyboard right now is just another re-worded version of “you’re an arsehole”, you should know I’m Australian. Being an arsehole is a point of pride.

1 Like

Well, indeed you are not.
Now imagine a world full of people like you, who don’t give a damn about others (world does not resume to your close ones, by the way). Kind of shitty place to live, just my fifty cents.
All you try to do is to rationalize your broken view of the world, and find a place for your frail self image, but that will never work very well.
And by the way, a good self image is also a reason for people to be nice with the other people, give them the chance to live with himself without the need the use very complicated and twisted rationalizations to comfort their moral conscience… And yeah, you have one as any normal people, and it bugs you more than you like it :sweat_smile: