ECM is terrible

I’ll shoot the thing closest to me. Depends on how much range I lost. Some ships suffer more than others. A catalyst with 3x t2 damps with range scripts loaded still gets 17km lock range. Those aren’t bonused damps its true but it would still be above 10km at least probably, far enough that you can hit a scrammer.

Fun fact, a neutron blaster catalyst still does 200dps with null at 10km, at 13km it does about 80.

1 Like

a battle ship under 3 bonused damps goes down under 3km lock range

4km now with the new ranges*

as for your cat

also remember that the scrams can be past 20km so even your 17km cat can not hit them hell even a cold unlinked T2 scram is 18km. also remember that an araz can fit 4 damps not just three along with a scram

Battleships can fit a target spectrum breaker, which affects even ships that are normally immune to electronic warfare…

1 Like

Yeah but that’s an arazu. If we’re talking about keres and arazu those are 300mil ships dedicated to one job and even then you can still possibly lock something. Similarly a maulus can damp a catalyst down to 10.7km, try slotting this in for yourself.

[Maulus, Maulus fit]

Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
Damage Control II

Warp Disruptor II
Remote Sensor Dampener II, Targeting Range Dampening Script
Remote Sensor Dampener II, Targeting Range Dampening Script
1MN Afterburner II

150mm Railgun II, Caldari Navy Uranium Charge S
150mm Railgun II, Caldari Navy Uranium Charge S

Small Transverse Bulkhead I

by the way the maulus is 900m/s slower than the catalyst. You can fit a mwd if you want but enjoy that non existent cap life.

1 Like

… the keres is just as strong as the araz and is not a 300mill ship.

if we are going to compare to a griffin then that has a much lower jam change than any other ECM ship has relatively short range and explodes if you sneeze at it. even if we go to the kitsune most of those problems still apply

also that maulus fit change the rigs to damp rigs and your range goes down to under 9km once again below t2 scram range

and you know what? You’re proving my point. 1 jam and an enemy is out of the fight, the keres/maulus has to dump several damps on a single target to take it out. With 1 damp how much range does the catalyst have?

and the enemy MAY be out of the fight for a short time

2 damps and you’re pretty well out of the fight except some cruisers 3 damps and you are definitely out of the fight

iirc the highest jam strength achievable is like 18.3 with faction jams, blops and all the bling. But that’s not a typical ship and I do believe that huge investments should produce reliable rewards. With all that said to tie it back in to the main topic, ECM the major problem is getting knocked out completely, whether its from an EC300 drone or a single bonused jam from a blops. If you had a blops reduce your max locks by like 6 per jammer yes it results in the same thing for some ships but for many it still requires minimum 2 jams. That’s more than the singular 1 required for say jamming a hurricane with its appalling 19.2 at all 5.

omfg… he did it ffs you really have no idea how to fly ECM do you? on a ■■■■■■■ widow? no, that’s not how that works. unless you are trying to loose a billion+ isk because that’s what fitting a widow like a god damn falcon will do.

actually go out and use ECM for a month or two then go use damps you will see just how much easier and more effective damps are to use. ECM is only better than damps when you need to break tackle and gtfo.

no these shits are broken af and a stacking penalty would alleviate this.

now that i have slept i figure i can elaborate on my original post

to give a stacking penalty to ECM simply add a remote ECCM effect to them based on their jam strengths. the base levels of ECM may need to be tweaked to compensate for this but that’s fine.

how this plays into how ECM is already piloted is it adds to the choice of “do i put on the second jam or try to wait out this cycle” this is already how you have to think as an ECM pilot and one of the parts that makes flying ECM so much harder than the other E-war. How this helps fix ECM is no longer do large amounts of ECM of a few targets become as big of a problem as it is.

couple this with putting a cap on jam chance (nothing with ecm should ever be 100%) and the actual balance problems with ECM go away. the rest of the problems are just in the players head. when ECM i FEELi can’t do anything With damps i FEEL i can do something

1 Like

Hmmm, you know I’m beginning to notice a pattern here among the people saying I don’t understand ecm despite consistently proving I know how it works mechanically and that I have a history of using ecm ships in the past. The mechanics of ecm haven’t changed at all in the 9 years I’ve played this game. You also assumed I built a max jam no tank fit? More’s the pity sir. You should know better.

no i figured you put a standard ECM on a widow when that’s what falcons are for

I was pointing out that that’s the best possible jam strength you can get, about 18.3 on a widow.

widow and falcon get the same m8.

widow used to be highest then. its been a long time since I paid attention to that degree of esoteric information. not materially significant to ecm as a module.

Marauder in bastion works too, that that hasn’t been mentioned yet…

Target spectrum breaker works against marauders, even in bastion mode…

so does concord :smile:

what does concord have to do with anything?

they are also not true ECM so what is your point

Nope, she never was. By the way the Falcon, the Rook and Widow may have the same strength bonus but I wouldn’t fit ecm mods on a Widow.

From 80km lock range to 2km are you freeing crazy lol that’s impossible. Please run proper numbers before making up nonsense.