End of an Era

No this is not a quitting EvE thread you deranged lunatics that I love so dearly.

These are my thoughts on what I can only describe as an end of an Era in this great online soap opera that we inhabit. Today heralds what can only be seen as the final nail in the coffin of the once great POS.

For me the POS was my first great space adventure in EvE, joining with a few brave souls that I had met in game we ventured forth and joined up with a crazy crew in a tiny alliance called “Lawful Insanity”. There we claimed our space in Detorid, and what daft crap that was, but it was ours and it was amazing. Together we learned how to welp, how to explode, how to mine and build better things to welp and we were happy. That tiny group grew and ventured forth and enjoyed many great years in this game. But it all began with one step, and a POS.

So I sit here tonight and begin to take down my final POS. It will take me a few days, as I have some things finishing up, but soon it will be gone. It is strange that a “pixel” in a game could elicit an emotional response, but there you have it, I … feel.

And I am both saddened and joyous at the loss of something that I remember yelling at, despising and loving all at the same time. My sanctuary and my home, it is time to say goodbye. I will always have so many amazing memories, and I am thankful for all the amazing guys and gals that I have had the privileged to know and play with in this game.

o7 dear POS thanks for all the fish

13 Likes

Eve is dying … wait, what?

Ok, then. Bye bye beloved space sticks, we knew you well.

1 Like

Only the cool rich kids get nice spacehomes now…

Gentrification of EVE…

3 Likes

you don’t need to be rich to litter highsec with astrohouses. you don’t even need to find a moon. that has to count for something.

1 Like

You can still be running mining and reaction POS’s, they’re far from dead.

POS’s are those big “amarr Tower” things right? the thing that deploys a massive shield around itself?
Why are they being removed if thats what it is? O.o?

They just loose their boni with the new patch. Another step. Thats all.

i’m glad poses are gone, you really should’ve never been forced to fit undockable ships inside a tiny bubble, just to put very hard to come by ships somewhere with 24 hour guard duties just to make sure assholes don’t bump the supercaps out of forcefield

because citadels exists

Wait. When were POS’ great? They were clunky, awkward, had poor functionality in a lot of situations, and were irritating to manage.

I remember when I first anchored a POS in w-space. I was fidgeting with settings a couple months later and I accidentally hit offline because it was literally right next to one of the settings things. Like 3 hours before I had to leave for work. :facepalm:

I managed to get it back online and turn on the hardeners and a couple ECM before I left. Nobody messed with it thankfully. Anyways, I like POSes. I think they still fulfill a different role than a citadel, particularly due to being easier to defend for small gang/solo. More ECM, more EHP, more time investment to pop. Very easy to make yourself not worth their time.

But let nobody argue that POSes aren’t clunky as all hell. They’re a total trainwreck as far as UI and management is concerned.

2 Likes

I don’t know, killing POS’ was easier for me and my friends than killing citadels is. Having to come back for two more times instead of just one more time? Ick.
I’d rather kill a fully fitted faction Death Star than an Astrahus. And a Dick Star is a joke for the fleet composition we used to use. But that’s just me.

It sure was better than living out of a cloaked orca…