Eurzadahn - CSM13 - Your Partner in Making a Better New Eden

EURZADAHN - Your partner in making a better New Eden.
Relevant Content + Better Stations + Balanced **Leadership**

INTRODUCTION
Hello, Capsuleers! Eurzadahn, here. CSM campaign season is upon us. It is an exciting time to be in EVE Online. There are many new challenges that face EVE and the incoming CSM. This new CSM has greater challenges set before it than any other CSM has faced to date. Additionally, this new CSM is under new scrutiny after the events that transpired of last year. It is times like this that demands that the CSM consist of new blood, with new ideas, with no baggage of their past terms, and who possess the ability tackle the unique challenges that have been, and are yet to be, set out before us in the coming year. I am one such candidate, and as your CSM Representative I will not only hold myself accountable to meet these challenges, but I will hold my partners in the CSM and within the CCP Dev Team as well. To the table I bring a passion for EVE, backed by over eleven years of in-game, as well as real life, relevant experience that will make me your ideal representative on the Council. Join me on this adventure, and give me your vote to make CSM 13 one that will breathe new life into New Eden.

MY CAMPAIGN PLATFORM
This sections comes to you in two flavors -

• The Short, for the crowd who likes the info fast and brief.
  • The Long, for the more in-depth and thorough reader.

As your CSM Representative I will seek to drive forward three primary strategic goals:

Relevant Content //////////////////////////////
THE SHORT: Moving forward, we need content that makes a difference and drives the end-game forward, adding life to EVE as a whole.

THE LONG: The end game of EVE has not changed in … Years. Generally put, that end game has been: Build a player-run empire in the depths of Null Sec space, dominate others through PVP combat. Upon which, you are to sustain through industry and/or market domination. Protect your territory or gain assistance via the arrangement of coalitions with like-minded groups which are to partner with you to help keep your space secure and to keep opponents at bay. Then crush them when the time is right.

This was a worthy goal for a game in 2003. It truly did set EVE apart. That being said, though, after nearly 15 years, this end goal has not changed and now, with no reason to grow or evolve themselves, null groups have formed the blue donut - albeit unstable at times. If the end game of EVE had been evolving, one must ask, would this have happened? Likely not.

To remain a relevant game as well as achieve community growth (let alone maintain interest of current players), a new content development tact has to be taken by the CCP Dev team. It is the concern of many players in EVE that the new “content” being placed into EVE feels irrelevant: That it is nothing more than a theme park-style distraction from the otherwise unchanging normal flow of EVE. There were only two major occasions CCP changed the end-game, well, added to it - Wormholes and Faction Warfare.

The CSM should work as strategic collaborators with Developers to break the myopic development trajectory that we have been seeing roll out for the past 24 months. As your CSM Representative I will insist that my CSM Council partners and I press upon CCP the importance of moving in a new direction in terms of content development. We need to see content that shakes up EVE as a whole. We need to see content development that takes the gameplay further in terms of interaction, story, and play styles - something set to push all players beyond the same old end game that has hardly changed since the game’s deployment.

Better Stations //////////////////////////////
THE SHORT: Structures are broken, not only as a feature, but by the process in which they were implemented. We need to tackle the feature development and deployment process.

THE LONG: “Stations” - Upwell Structures: Citadels, Engineering Complexes, and Refineries have constantly remained out of balance since their original deployment. At first, they were too much in favor of their owners and defenders. Presently, however, the developers “rebalance” has thrown them far too in favor of aggressors. It is time for a change.

Looking at how structures behave and operate in the game, we need to ask ourselves, “Do they feel like an element that feels natural within the context of the EVE Universe?” They cost players large sums of capital to fully fit and utilize, they are dumb on defense, and unless you are able to afford a larger structure, they are weak and limited in functionality for the cost compared to earlier iterations of the player owned structure concept - the POS Towers and their support structures.

We need to find that acceptable medium between past and present iterations that makes these structures feel like they are part of the universe and are balanced for both attackers and defenders. With the greater ISK sink these structures have become, they do not bring enough strategic advantage to the table when compared to their POS ancestors. There is no doubt citadels and their sister structures are needed component to the game, and that they have been successful in providing players with new means of generating ISK and with new forms of content. Now, though, is the time to perfect them.

Balanced Leadership //////////////////////////////
THE SHORT: The way the CSM works is broken and it must be fixed to better represent the community.

THE LONG: This topic is very much the “third-rail” of EVE politics but it is a topic that needs to be addressed. There is no doubt that the CSM has been largely populated by players that come from the large null sec entities and their “voting blocs.” That needs to come to an end. Each constituency group [high sec, low sec, wormholes, and null] all deserve a seat at the table. Period. It is my goal, as a member of the CSM, to collaborate with my fellow CSM Council Members and the CCP Devs in order to see how we can make a CSM that all of the players are confident in and that they feel truly represents them. We need to prevent content/feature development that leans favorably towards one player segment.

The desire to only build up ones’ own group shows that their desire to help has terms, has conditions, has limits. That is not what a CSM Member should represent. The players of EVE deserve better. CSM Members are here to be a voice that helps the community - at large - all the while helping the developers in keeping EVE engaging and sustainable.

Additional Points of Interest//////////////////////////////

• Establishing updates that bring relevancy to Low Sec
  • Bringing Faction Warfare into the modern EVE Era with mechanics improvements and tweaks.
  • Balancing the economy and station operation issues utilizing the old POS standing and fueling methods.

CONCLUSION
I am aware of the titanic effort set before me in running for a seat on this Council. I am not part of a specific Bloc. I have views that do not align with everyone. That being said, pilots, vote not for what you are pressured to vote for, but vote for who represents what you feel will keep EVE alive, fun, and a game that makes history. We are at a critical time in EVEs history - vote for council members that will secure EVE for tomorrow and thereafter.

I wish to send a shout out and best wishes to some of the new faces, and old, running at this time - @Jin_taan, @commander_aze, and @Otto_Bismarck to name a few. There are a great many good ideas and intentions our there and I look forward to working along side you in the future.

Thank you.

Who is Eurzadahn? | A Brief Biography
I am an 11 year EVE Online veteran that currently serves as the Executor of Ikusaro, the Founder & CEO of, The HEDWAY Network, and is a community ambassador amongst Khanid and Kador traders, industrialists, and haulers. Throughout my entire careeer in New Eden, I endured to empower players to reach their full potential in EVE Online. Over the years I have taken on this mission through the paths of Alliance leadership, coalition diplomacy, and now, most recently through my entrepreneurial endeavor - The HEDWAY Network: A public network of stations that help our community by empowering their trade, industry, and research endeavors. Running for the CSM, I seek to work with fellow Council Members and CCP devs to empower both the entire EVE Community and the game itself.

Outside of the game I am a designer, a brand strategist, and associate developer. In the past I have worked as a QA tester within the gaming industry. This skillset emphasizes teamwork, creative problem solving, and business development skills that would position me an ideal candidate for the CSM not only for players, but for the CCP Devs as well.

Relevant Experience

• Executor, Ikusaro Alliance
  • CEO, The HEDWAY Network
  • Community Ambassador, Khanid Manufacturers, Traders, & Haulers
  • Community contribution via Twitter, Facebook, forums and the web: Infographics, promotional graphics, and the website www.hedway.net.
    – Recognized by CCP four times for design work and community pieces in “THIS WEEK IN EVE” Newsletters
  • Operator & Owner, The HEDWAY Network - A network of 25 stations empowering trade, research, and manufacturing throughout the Khanid and Kador regions.

How to Contact Eurzadahn

Examples of Community Design Work
This work has been featured by both CCP Games as well as a variety of streamers throughout the EVE Community such as Reload, Hametok, & Hidden Musings.

HEDWAY.Net - Home of The HEDWAY Network , Community Website

Lifeblood Expansion Teaser Banner

Lifeblood Cruiser Rebalance Series Piece - The Vexor

Lifeblood Cruiser Rebalance Series Piece - _The Stabber

Lifeblood Cruiser Rebalance Series Piece - _The Bellicose

Station Introduction Banner - The Azbel

Station Introduction Banner - The Sotiyo

Station Introduction Banner - The Tatara
HEDWAY-Twitter_StationIntro-Tatara2017-01

EVE Valkyrie Promo Skin Piece - The Dominix
HEDWAY-Twitter_ShipBeauty-Valkyrie_Domi

PushX Partnership Cross Promotional Banner
HEDWAY-PushX-n-THNET-Ad2

8 Likes

Hi there,

I wanted to ask a few questions focused on your understanding and opinions of Highsec PVP:

Do you think that wardecs need a rework by CCP? If so, what do you think the core issues are with wardecs?

Do you agree with with the suggestion made by CSM XII to change wardec mechanics so that only corporations that have anchored structures can be wardecced?

Do you think there needs to be an alternative intel tool for wardecs now that watchlists have been removed?

Would you be interested in joining the Wardec Project discord to further discuss wars?

Do you think ganking is balanced?

Do you think there is a way to make ganking more interactive for those looking to prevent ganks?

Do you think having a cap on how long you can keep a ship bumped before it can safely warp off would be a good change?

Good luck on your campaign!

Toxic

PS - That’s some pretty banners.

4 Likes

Hey there, @Toxic_Yaken - Thanks for swinging by and sending me your questions.

Do you think that wardecs need a rework by CCP? If so, what do you think the core issues are with wardecs?

I am of the opinion that yes, I do think that the current war dec system is drastically out of date, both socially and mechanically speaking, and as such, has fallen victim to heavy abuse. Let me clarify, I do think that War Decs are a vital component of the game. It is part of what makes EVE “EVE” after all all, for better or for worse but it does need a major overhaul.

To answer your question about what do I think is the core issues that with war decs: I strongly believe they are too convenient to start and too affordable to maintain.

• The first issue, one many argue, is how wars can be declared, and thus initiated, whether the defender wants it or not. Whether they consent to it or not. This small, single concept - consent - is the very source of which many complaints regarding war decs come from. Many want to play EVE but simply do not want to become forced into being content for others and it is that lack of control - that lack of choice - that lack of consent - that upsets people and drives them out of the game when it comes to wars.
  • Couple this lack of consent with war dec costs not keeping pace with in-game inflation, you have a system ripe for abuse that creates an environment not of winners and losers, but one of griefers and victims. That is not what people come to a game for.

Do you agree with with the suggestion made by CSM XII to change wardec mechanics so that only corporations that have anchored structures can be wardecced?

I do not agree with this approach. Anchored structures should factor into a war declaration or not. And I do not say this as an operator of a structure fleet, either. This approach would set structure operators, whether public or private, into a unique category of player(s), giving more sociological reasons for them exploited and victimized.

This approach would encourage the same behavior we see many lazy/bot miners take to dodge war decs - they hide in NPC corps or hot swap from corp to corp. On a similar line of thinking, war decs that only go after corps with anchored structures would just encourage corps to have an alt corp manage the structures and everyone exists independently in a separate corp. It just causes more layers of group fracturing and corp games to dodge aggressors. The game needs less of that.

Do you think there needs to be an alternative intel tool for wardecs now that watchlists have been removed?

Actually, I do not think we need such tools. I like that there is an element of mystery and work in that regard. If you really want to find your target, you leave eyes out and you look for them or you regularly use your locator agents. Watchlists simply made massive corp war dec-ing and target tracking too convenient.

Would you be interested in joining the Wardec Project discord to further discuss wars?

Sure! I would love to be part of a roundtable to solve this complex issue.

Do you think ganking is balanced?

Ganking? Balanced? That is a very good question. It could use more thought, especially considering how frequently it is used, despite that it is considered “illegal.” I would have to say from a mechanics standpoint, it is fairly balanced. I find ganking to be more of a social/idealogical problem within the game than anything else.

Do you think there is a way to make ganking more interactive for those looking to prevent ganks?

Wow, this is another good question. Go you! I do not have an immediate response to that but I would love to sit with a group of players and discuss this further. Something like this would further allow for a “white knight” style gameplay which could create an interesting dynamic.

Do you think having a cap on how long you can keep a ship bumped before it can safely warp off would be a good change?

I think this would be a good mechanic for two main reasons:

• It forces gankers to really have their game on and if they are going to gank, they need to have their act together or they lose out on a chance.
  • It would prevent overall abuse of people bumping just to bump without any real intent to gank.

Good luck on your campaign!

Thanks! I appreciate the questions! Feel free to reach out to me anytime. I would love to discuss these ideas further on your Discord.

PS - That’s some pretty banners.

Hey, thank you! Greatly appreciated!

2 Likes

Appreciate the quick response, had some good answers here. If you want to join the Wardec Project discord you can use the link here.

Cheers,
Toxic

1 Like

Always good to see a High Sec Candidate, Love the Campaign Art :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks, @commander_aze! Good luck on your campaign. You had a lot of great things to say in your post.

As someone that has been working with @Eurzadahn Eurzadahn in game for some time now, I can attest to his fairness and careful consideration of ideas. He has an open door policy that makes the alliance feel welcoming and this extends to customers of the Hedway network, that is to say, quiet a few people.
This puts him in a perfect position to be a CSM member, as you know he is there for you and will listen.
Thanks to his vast game knowledge he is always there to give insight and takes the time to make you understand why things have moved in one direction or another, no matter how trivial the matter might be.

I am proud to say you have my vote, and I do believe you can make EVE a better game for everyone.

2 Likes

@Neutkraaker - Thanks a lot. I really do appreciate the support. And thank you for being part of the team. :smiley:

1 Like

The Space Princess is proud to fly with Eurzadahn and is proud to cast my vote with him! <3

3 Likes

Goodluck Eurzadahn! Only flown with yall once but it was fun as hell. +1 :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

oops my alt’s account. It’s Hatai lol

2 Likes

Thanks, Hatai! It was a blast! Gotta do it again, soon! :smiley:

1 Like

Anytime! Just let me know!

1 Like

Been a while since the Mobius Days, good to see you in the race, Good Luck Eurzadahn.

1 Like

Hey hey! Thanks, @Cookem! :smiley:

As someone who for the longest time was an off / on subscriber to EVE, I often had difficulty getting back into the game after my absences as so many things would change between my breaks. I was introduced to @Eurzadahn after having watched a Twitch stream and his open door policy as @Neutkraaker has stated is invaluable, as is the knowledge that he has after playing the game for as long as he has. If I had a question about anything, whether it be industry, mining, PVE, PVP, structures, or fitting; it was always answered with respect and expediency. I feel that his experience, kindness, and tact is something that could be a good addition to the CSM.

You have my vote Eurzadahn, and thank you for all that you’ve done so far.

Best Regards,

OC

1 Like

Thanks a lot @Ocean221718 - I really do appreciate the kind words of support. Means a lot. You guys inspire me to keep going with our mission of doing our best to make a difference in the communities we serve. Thank you.

Myself and my corp have experienced working with and communicating with @Eurzadahn on multiple occasions, all with an extremely positive outcome. Alongside his list of services, we’ve had the pleasure to work with him as a trusted third party broker for citadel handovers, a true professional.

He’s made life in the Khanid region quite efficient with HEDWAY Network an we truly believe he’s in this to create a more connected region and maybe beyond.

I’ve found it quite refreshing and inspiring to discover this individual and all his ventures. Best of luck with CSM13!

Welcome to Day one of the Elections. Win, lose, or draw, those of us that know you will continue to stand beside you. We all want New Eden be a better place for everyone and all the future pilots. Thank you for working on behalf of all regions of space and all levels of game play.

1 Like

votes casted