Eve Anywhere enters Beta

I got it to work on my phone with firefox with site in desktop, the biggest issue i have those it about a 1 inch input offset where i point and where the pointer actually is.

I didn’t get it to work in Chrome with desktop view, but it works in firefox on my phone. It’s definitely neat but I can’t see the phone browser being useful beyond updating orders/skills/chatting. They will need to rework the interface entirely or make it a lot more user friendly to be comparable to a mouse and keyboard.

If you’re asking if the browser on a smartphone is going to be enough, probably, but the experience will be terrible, it looks like its going to be a cloud based gaming thing like GeForce Now or Stadia and that article mentions there will be a charge in the future, expecting this to maybe last 6 months before it ends up getting dropped due to low profitability

2 Likes

Yeah I could see linking it to omega subscription, but I don’t see many people using it if they gotta pay extra for it.

2 Likes

Have to wait for them to setup cloud servers in the EU i guess, this looks to be a charged service anyway so i’m not sure anyone who is already an EVE player is the actual target market for this

Given they have to run hardware for your connection i can’t imagine a scenario where it works out cost effective to include it with your omega sub, so its going to cost extra

This could be a gamechanger for my Chromebook. Look forward to testing this out when possible!

2 Likes

We need a pricing structure, and we need to know bandwidth requirements.

2 Likes

any more pictures! im in the UK

Please just add it to Stadia :slight_smile:

1 Like

Eve enters anywhere mode, can I get a PS3 with that?

1 Like

25 megs per second and requires disabling adblock?

No thanks, CCP.

2 Likes

Can you actually read it on your phone? I tired Eve Echos on a friend’s phone, it’s one of the large ones, and couldn’t do a thing other than accidentally shoot Concord…

1 Like

If the quality of the header picture and the coding quality of the new website is an indication for the quality of this product, we are looking ahead to another DOA product by CCP. :joy:

Would be nice if CCP was clearer with who can play this, ideally in the first paragraph. Because this “beta” is limited to the USA and USA only.
It would also be nice to know roughly what the requirements for the browser and connection speed are. After the limited tests they have run, data about that should be available so that people can actually gauge if they can use the thing or not.

Omega pilots in the USA can currently enjoy EVE Anywhere for the duration of the new test at no additional cost, providing an opportunity to experience the new platform while there is no charge.

Very interesting bit. Makes it sound like you have to pay extra money in addition to Omega sub to use that feature.

5 Likes

It does sound like that. Though unless performance was dramatically better for some odd reason there’s no way I would pay extra for something I don’t need.
I do think there is a market, but not with any price hike, for being able to play on an android tablet, or an ipad, though there are some problems with that as well. I find things in Eve to be very very small, mainly text, icons and a number of other bits of the UI, transporting that to something with the pixel density of my tablets would make it impossible unless all of the ingame text sizes were changeable.
$15 a month is plenty, I’m not likely to pay more than that any time soon, I don’t care what platform it’s on. I have a number of accounts and CCP doesn’t need more out of me for something I don’t actually require.
I’m sure they want it though, they have made themselves perfectly clear on that subject.

While this is a welcome development, playing EVE on your browser has been doable for almost a year now using GeForce Now streaming service. Since it has a mobile app as well it may even be possible to play EVE on a tablet as long as you have a USB and mouse hooked in.

I ran into a similar issue with Eve Online on Nvidia GeForce Now whereby the streamed client doesn’t have a visible server sync function for profiles (I have to reset my in-game overlay every time, window positions, etc.). GeForce Now appears to pull from Steam Sync data for other games, however it appears Eve Online doesn’t support server side sync for maintaining settings profile data.

I have a friend playing on mac who says their profile on the macOS client is transferring over to the play-anywhere browser experience, however both of us are unsure why this is working for them and not me.

Tested and Firefox, Edge, and Chrome.

Is the Beta Browser attempting to pull player profile settings from a local machine (and I don’t have my folder configured properly)?

1 Like

Let’s hope CCP doesn’t decide that the cloud streaming platform is the only future of EVE and ends up abandoning the desktop client.

4 Likes

100% cloud streaming Eve would make it a lot more tricky for folks to go snoop around test server files–I imagine a few Devs enjoying that aspect.

1 Like

How long before you think they would have that kind of capability?

Reflecting on changes over the last 5 years, I suspect it’s on their roadmap, as they’ve been clearly heading towards a cloud experience for a reason.

So my estimate would be, whatever timeframe CCP have, double it; and whatever timeframe I suspect, I’ll halve it; and those will probably line up.

So 2 years from now.

1 Like