EVE Gate Shutdown – Wednesday September 27th

Are there any existing alternatives that are strictly web based and reliable? Does the ESI endpoint have the same vulnerability as GATE?

Edit: Endpoint is not vulnerable acording to CCP Falcon. Also I’ve found two alternatives for webmail. My favorite 3rd party is https://spacemail.tk sofar.

3 Likes

In fairness he was probably trying to be humorous & didn’t really mean it the way it came across (to me & a few others) I think maybe we’ve slapped him enough for that now :anguished:… hang on did I just say that? :confused: I may not be well :flushed::face_with_thermometer:

1 Like

Hasn’t been phased out yet, is why it still runs fine.

We got more than 2 days notice with that one :smiley:

Just to be super clear, neither CCP or ISD “officially” endorse any third party tools.

I use crap loads of community created tools on a daily basis (it’s hard to break the habit when you’ve been playing EVE for fifteen years :stuck_out_tongue: ), but they’re all used under the express understanding that they’re without warranty.

To clarify:

1. As I said in the original post, we discovered a significant problem with EVE Gate last week, so we have to shut it down with short notice. That’s just a decision we unfortunately have to make, and there’s no way around it. I’m super sad to see EVE Gate go (or the web based mail functionality at least), but it can’t continue to operate in its current state.

2. We’ve tested the app on a number of devices over here in Iceland and in the UK and the team in London, plus the company we’re collaborating with on this have let us know that it should be working as intended now. I’m running it on a Pixel XL, and I’ve had no issues this last week, however I had severe issues for a number of weeks before.

If you’re still experiencing issues, drop in a support ticket in the technical category and we’ll look into what’s causing problems. The only way we can improve the app is if people actually report issues via the support system in full detail instead of simply saying “it’s broken” or “it’s ■■■■” on the forums. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

As in made available on Windows Phone 8? Because except for EVE Gate I have no suitable EVE Mail reader with reply functionality and none of the 3rd parties are remotely usable for that purpose.

In general: How about you stop screwing around and stop putting the cart before the horses? Before you retire a great tool because you are too incompetent to maintain it, provide comprehensive replacements first and then retire a tool. That is how competent development looks like. Even with an “urgent problem appearing out of nowhere”, which has very likely been around for years, there ought to be enough time to program a replacement before you retired the problem.

4 Likes

I want to believe that, but I don’t have the best eyesight and only use the cellphone when I really need to make a call or message someone important because the cellphone will wreck me, having internet on my cellphone is definitely a no for me, I’d rather use the money that I pay monthly on mobile internet to plex two accounts

He should have realised that cellphone is not the “holy answer” to a problem, because not everybody uses a cellphone and should be more sensitive with how he said it.

There’s a few things I’d really like to see as part of EVE Portal’s basic functionality, but these are just my recommendations to the team, not a guarantee that they’ll be developed, for various reasons around game design and technical limitation.

We’ve spoken about quite a few things that would turn the app into a full companion, and we’ll hopefully be scoping it out later this year and into early 2018.

The message is convoluted.

A proper message would be:

‘Hey everybody, Great News!, our EVE Gate has been found with a security vulnerability, so we are retiring it; sorries.’

‘We are working towards a replacement, aligning with the new forums, look for it next year some time’

‘In the meantime, those of you able to might find some solace in using our EVE Portal phone app’

Thats my take on the priority of the message that was sent. It just wasn’t sent in that order.

10 Likes

a) Your country does not provide easy/cheap mobile internet access. Paying 10-20 bucks for a game per month is a choice, if it requires you to pay for mobile internet which can be another 20-30 bucks in some country, just to get access to mails via a mobile client, that’s kind of annoying.
b) Most of us used gate to access mails from computer where we cannot instal the client. For example on some government places in france where I happen to be 8h a day, the client is blocked by firewalls and you probably do not want to mess with security in government space. What was good was that gate was allowed, which allowed me to keep up with the game. And mobile access is not a reliable option most of the time for me.

So no, we do not necessarilly “choose to live in the 20th century” or whatever, and yes removing useful features is lame, especially knowing they are appreciated.

10 Likes

Somebody give this guy a job crafting EVE customer service announcements :smile:

2 Likes

It would have been nice to see the following in this post:

1. CCP is committed to delivering a web base EVEmail tool.

What you posted above:

“I’ve flagged the lack of web based EVEmail with our web team though, and as I said in the original post, it’s something they’ll be looking into soon hopefully.”

is Product Management double-speak. I’ve worked in software development houses to long enough to know the true meaning.

It basically says, ‘we’ve logged your request for an enhancement to replace a tool we took away on short notice. We’ve not planned any work in this area and can’t commit to anything except considering it for review sometime in the future. In the meantime use this inferior method’

4 Likes

The real question is if the vulnerability is on the ESI Mail endpoint too…

1 Like

1 Like

@CCP Falcon

why reinventing the weel?
set up a mail server, move the eve mails to them. maybee restrict traffic only to eve ids/log ins given the player in account management.

and voila! ALL can use standard mail clients who are a lot out there and all systems got out of the box.
hey even the symbian user from above or i with my old android 2.6 who never will se newer fancy apps can do!

a webinterface for all these should even be out there, set up https connections and stick it onto the new forum with some matching theme for vertical/horizontal small screens and horizontal large screens and you are done (and pls let Us choose witch to use on witch device not using fancy scrips just cookies

hey you could even connect players who play eve, valkyrie (or dust :frowning: )
sometimes you could even integrate messenger/chat system who are free systems/standards/clients out there and we could talk in corpchat or call all to arms who are in the defending our home group…

ok sometimes i dream little bit what could be but set evemail just to the standard mail system would be a easy way

5 Likes

I think of it more as “your concerns have been noted & a memo kicked upstairs”, which is the best you can hope for from customer services anyway so nothing’s really gained by griping further until “upstairs” have had time to consider & respond.

Nope :slight_smile:

EVE Gate is a strange animal that has tentacles everywhere (not in a weird anime way).

It makes most of our web developers cry, and it’s had a lot of tweaking and fiddling over the years that have made for a really strange code base from what I gather.

I’ve impressed the need on people for a replacement as soon as we can put one together.

:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

That’s a fair but simplified translation of what I said. I was just looking for more commitment and pointing out the lack thereof.

1 Like

I think 3rd party people made that possible.

CCP, what are you doing to your product? Why are you sabotaging yourself like this…

2 Likes

Did I post something here? Why do I get a notification and why are the threads I subscribe or posted in not giving me notification?
Not that there is much wrong with it that I could not fix myself but still.

Also, I used to use the EVE Gate for EVE Mail, but it didn’t work all the time for some reasons.
There was a few other uses for it, but now that I have internet at home, I don’t really need it as much.

1 Like