EVE not starting (Black Screen)

Hello,

When I try to start EVE I only get a black screen.

I am starting EVE from Steam, I do get the launcher (I do however get an error message when comfirming my e-mail), and when I want to launch the game itself I just see a black screen and nothing else.

Untill yesterday everything worked fine.

Does anyone else have this problem and maybe know how to fix it?

Will need more details such as; machine specs and Linux build,

For example, I run Manjaro and Xubuntu builds with WINE and no Steam. Steam uses their own form of WINE they call Proton. I have several Linux boxes I run tests on with various amounts of memory and graphics.

I won’t be back online for at least 12 hours. Add your info to this thread, I think @Power_Armor is using Steam. Just need those specs to assist you furthur.

I am using Kubuntu (so KDE Ubuntu), Steam with Proton.

Details:
Operating System: Kubuntu 24.04
KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.12
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.115.0
Qt Version: 5.15.13
Kernel Version: 7.0.0-31-generic (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Hardware (I know its an old machine)
Processors: 4 × Intel® Core™ i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz
Memory: 15,6 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB/PCIe/SSE2

Sounds like there might be a problem with your driver. Try running nvidia-smi and paste the output.

I got it to work again.

I do think it was a drive issue because I did get some updates this morning.

Could you please elaborate?

I’m having the exact same issue and quite frustrated because I can’t figure out what the culprit is, how to diagnose or solve it.

OS and Kernel: CachyOS x86_64; Linux 7.2.5-1-cachyos
DE: KDE Plasma 6.7.5, KWin Wayland
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900 (24) @ 5.49 GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB (Discrete) and AMD Raphael (Integrated)
RAM: DDR5 64GB (2x32GB) + 64GB Swap
(Storage: NVME SSD)

Playing via Steam, I’ve tried verifying, updating, rebooting, relaunching EVE, I’ve used proton-wineland, proton-cachyos, GE-Proton and standard Steam Proton including Steam Proton Hotfix channel. I last played yesterday and didn’t have this issue.

I did 2 things:

  • Change from Proton Experimental to GE-Proton
  • Ran updates on Linux

After that everything was working again.

1 Like

Bummer, already did that. I am looking at logs right now. But not sure anything is working.

Literally wow, nevermind. Ok, so what I did this time worked BUT I don’t know if it was the combination of the two or only one of those things that did the trick. I suspect it might be the latter point for future reference if anyone finds this in the future.

-I installed via ProtonPlus Proton GE 10.7 instead of 10.6.

-I renamed all caches and shaders. This means going both into your linux steam directory for shader caches and renaming or the “8500” folder (that’s EVE’s Steam AppID). Then go into your steam directory on linux and into compatdata. That’s where the path for the emulated windows directory is found. Go into c-drive and as in windows you want to go into user-> steamuser->AppData. Go into local and into roaming and anything that has cache or shader in its name, rename that (Just press F2 on your keyboard, END to get to the final position of the directory name and attach something like “FolderName-1”.)
You want to rename in case you accidentally ■■■■ something up, maybe do it to the wrong directory and only notice a day later, just saying. If you delete, it’s gone and you might not know how to recover or recovery might be imperfect so just spare yourself the headache in case something doesn’t work first try.
Full directory paths you want to look for (note: Depending on your distro and setup these could vary, please double check): " ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/8500/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/AppData " for local and roaming appdata. " ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/shadercache/ " for the linux directory to steam’s linux shadercache. Note this path will not be in ~/.local if you are using flatpak or other installation method afaik or if you changed in your steam client the Steam directory to be situated somewhere else. (For example ~/Games or ~/Steam ).

Hope that helps o7

2 Likes

I just got back in, I am happy to see it was a simple update and not a larger issue. What I do find amazing is the machine specs on GPU.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900 (24) @ 5.49 GHz
Graphics Processor: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB/PCIe/SSE2

These are well beyond what I test on my boxes. One is still running on a passive video card, in low graphics mode ( aka potato mode ) at 30 to 40 fps. So one might expect the newer GPUs to work better with the software. I have found that the older cards have less issues because they are ignored in the updates with the best driver possible already installed. I even have one running on the motherboard GPU, again in potato mode, the fps at best is 15 to 20 on that one. My main rig is not used for EVE or playing much games;

  • AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor (3.40 GHz)
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (6 GB)

I try to keep it clean for business only. Although I do have a separate SSD in there for testing Linux OS.

1 Like