EVE offers can be click-bait and the game probably not worth returning to

There are some really bent out of shape people in here. In full apologist mode for a company’s shady advertising practices.

I’m getting that headache again from shaking my head over the 1984ification of previously sane people.

Mr Epeen :sunglasses:

3 Likes

To be clear: I am in agreement that this should have been written differently. There’s a reason the advertisement standards in the US hinge on the ‘least sophisticated consumer’ rule. That doesn’t mean nobody will understand the intent as-written, but that if there is any room for misinterpretation it should be spelled out.

I do not jump to the conclusion that CCP wrote their ad with the intent to deceive, however; I generally aim to give any entity the benefit of the doubt, especially when it comes to language nuance. If nobody involved in creating the advertisement read it as ‘90 days MCT’, because they are familiar with MCT intervals and have creator bias around ‘I know what I meant to say, and this appears to say what I meant to say’ because their own brains fill in the gaps, they very easily could have missed that players might read the Omega and MCT items as sharing a 90 day value instead of being distinct.

CCP should have owned up to this when tickets were raised and delivered the additional 60 days of MCT, and updated their advertisement going forward for clarity.

The above still doesn’t mean that everyone reading the advertisement would have come to the same conclusion as the OP; different experiences lead to different interpretations of ambiguity.

3 Likes

Selling 0’s and 1’s like there are costs to mine, transport, refine, manufacture, transport again and then sell.

-15% on literally worthless data?!? OMG where do I sign up. Only $99???

WOOOOW!! :clown_face:

Don’t even start with that malarkey.

Have you seen a drug ad lately? They don’t even tell you what the drug is supposed to treat. Just that the sun will shine and passing citizens will smile at you with pure love in their hearts.

On top of that, the subtext in your wall of text still reeks of justification for the company on top of victim blaming.

My headache just ticked up a notch.

Mr Epeen :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Justifying it means I think they were right and I don’t. Victim blaming means I think those who misunderstood the badly worded ad were wrong, and I don’t.

Saying I can see how something got out the door without malicious intent =/= justification. I said CCP should comp people the 60 days MCT and fix their ad, because they failed to write clear, unambiguous ad copy and it lead to confusion.

But I disagree with the stance Tharvus took of ‘the only way to have interpreted this to be 30 days MCT is to look at it after the fact’ when they refuted Kane’s statement of his own reading of the ad. Different people will read ambiguous content in different ways, based on their experiences.

4 Likes

When I read the ad, I understand it as getting 90 days of Omega time, and getting multiple character training unlocked permanently. I mean…

MULTIPLE CHARACTER TRAINING

Train skills simultaneously on an additional character within the same account.

…sounds like a permanent boost to me.

2 Likes

Can’t be deluded into thinking a deal is good until it’s verified and info is checked out to heart’s content.

When it’s too good to be true it usually isn’t.

When in doubt, don’t buy.

A simple e-mail to customer service at CCP would’ve cleared it out.

@Mr_Epeen Now if I had posted that kind of a post, I would have been very much due the ‘victim blaming’ assessment. Not sure how what I actually wrote came off that way to you, though.

Edit: OMG I hate how the forums remove quotes. Ugh.

I’m not blaming anyone. Just stating the obvious and common sense.

In-game that’s a fine stance to take, since scamming is a valid form of gameplay. Out of game activity by the company running EVE shouldn’t require the same level of skepticism because they are expected to be acting in good faith and making an effort to be transparent and honest with their advertisements.

1 Like

I don’t trust anything and anyone in-game or irl.
Must check until fully satisfied if a deal really is what the text says it is.
Trust is earned.
I’ll even go as far as saying trust is for fools.

The issue here isn’t even one of trust - it’s of clarity in advertising. The advertisement is poorly structured. This caused confusion for some people. Those people are justified in asking CCP to fix the issue - either refunding the entire purchase, or providing the expected value from the purchase.

Nobody said they thought the advertised deal was too good to be true - they thought it was a reasonable price for the product as they interpreted it. Clearly there wasn’t any doubt about the details - the people who interpreted it as meaning 90 days of MCT believed that to be the offer, and had no reason to think otherwise based on the advertisement alone. They had no reason to email customer service before making the purchase, because to them the offer was clearly 90 days of Omega and 90 days of MCT. They were content with the info, and so were comfortable making the purchase.

Saying they should have done more research and emailed CCP before buying it to get clarification when they had every reason to think they understood the offer makes no sense.

2 Likes

It makes sense to me.

And that is classic victim blaming.

1 Like

OK, you’re just being obtuse. Sure, selling access to the game is a negligible cost for them. Actually making a game you want to play isn’t.

1 Like

They should probably get right on that

CCP should include detailed info for each specific item contained within each pack.

5 Likes

GET WEALTHY!!!
1.3B ISK

2 Likes

Only victim of their own lack of understanding and common sense.

Well…

If having 5.5 Bill in your wallet puts you in the TOP 1% according to one of my accounts yearly EVE video then yes. I gets that is correct.