Event sites and looters

I’ve never left my starter corp. I didn’t read it in the rulebook. When is someone supposed to leave their starter corp? I get everything I need in hi-sec and within five jumps of my home station… the awesome Caille University!
Nobody has yet given me a reason to join their corp, so I stay. I see dozens of players with years upon years with nothing but their starter corp in their employment history. You make it sound like it’s shameful to still be in a starter corp and not fleeing to someplace other than where they chose to call “home”.
Why is it something to ridicule? I am being serious here. If no other corp has anything better to offer, why leave starting corps?

3 Likes

Nah. Not for anonymous internet spaceships. If he tried to doxx you, sure, but most of these people don’t have the testicular fortitude to do something like that even if they talk about doing it, Raven x1-style.

He does this to everyone who expresses any sort of pro-PvP rhetoric, under the guise of getting gankbear tears or whatever. You can notice the inconsistency whenever a new character posts any sort of complaint, especially anti-PvP complaint, and the criticisms are absent. But the second you show your support for the PvP lobby, the rage-posting will start.

Like I said, his only game is getting a rise out of you, and then reporting you the second you do something remotely against the rules in the hopes you will get banned and he’ll be able to rub it in your face. Either ignore the bait, or make fun of him in a way that doesn’t break forum rules. He’ll pretend like it’s nothing, but you can see the cracks in the facade.

2 Likes

wow, that’s so low I can’t see the bottom of it. The poor man must be old and tired, paranoid and angry, depressed and hopeless to pull stuff like that on a game forum. I’ll always be surprised and shocked at how petty some people can get, and what’s more, against other people they never even met.

My English isn’t so refined that I could make fun of someone without it looking so obvious, plus: I’m not that mean. I’d rather ignore him. The Ignore system works for me now where before I could still see his posts and notifications of them even though I had him on Ignore but now it’s working.
I hope he gets the help he needs. It must be exhausting for him, all that anger and frustration.

Actually, as someone who is still 95% confused with EVE, I skim thru GD to see if something might apply or stand out for me to learn from.
Any time I hear about a corp that goes after pirates/gankers/pod killers… it’s good info to know about. Had this not been posted here, I may never have known about these loot thieves - even though I regularly deal with loot thieve in hi-sec on silly Serp Burrows. You’re 50km from one end fighting PVE and see a ship warp in to start looting your kills on the other end of the combat site. They are gone with w/e they took before you can get within range to pluck them as they begin to blink - and in hi-sec, you can’t just open up on someone you KNOW is about to begin looting your wrecks.
Sure, most of the time a wreck only has scrap metal or non-faction ammo… it’s the whole matter of someone is stealing from you. Thieves are down there with the lowest of low… only CODE players are lower :wink:
(oh, c’mon… you KNOW I had to throw in CODE).
They are my nemesis and a cancer in EVE. Nothing says “Courage” than blasting apart a Venture that didn’t pay for a mining permit in hi-sec… and then comes the condescending EVEmail saying “It’s only proper that you reply with “GF”/Good Fight”… like really? THAT is a good fight? They are cowards, just as loot thieves or pirates or gate campers.
No, I am not ranting, I am exposing their cowardice. I am also appreciative of those who would “police” and set up stings for pirates and loot thieves.
The only reason I could see why someone would oppose that is they, themselves partake in that activity.

People actually do this? They steal trash-tier Burrow loot and they’re not even doing it to bait you into a fight?

Let me know the next time you spot someone doing this. I genuinely want to see it for myself.

You’re confident that they’re doing it because they’re afraid, and not because they’re trying to get people to react to the provocations?

Not necessarily. There are other reasons to oppose AGs on principle, such as the fact that they protect players who are AFK, or ignore advice. Also, their protection stunts the growth of players who would otherwise adapt to EVE’s environment after taking losses. It’s the whole give a man a fish/teach a man to fish concept in practice.

Indeed you do.
Why you defend so many of these “peaceful” jackwagons seems strange.

1 Like

Why are they cowards? I give you they are thieves but just because someone is a thief or a pirate doesn’t mean they’re cowards. Pirates can be brave, too. I think suicide ganking is brave, that’s total commitment to the kill even to the destruction of a ship. I don’t think Kamikazes were cowards and I see suicide ganking as being a Kamikaze.
I’m looking forward to pirating and ganking. I’m not a coward at all, I’m a brave person and have been told that many times.
Also, the game developers have allowed for ganking and piracy, which means it’s totally OK to do and something you do in a game doesn’t define you as a person.

If you need to determine whether someone’s a coward or not, simply challenge them to a duel or a war. Anything else is meaningless posturing and hypocrisy.

1 Like

I don’t know how a Cruiser would think a frigate is going to take bait on Burrow loot, but it happens to me every other day or every three days (I play at least one hour every day since I began playing earlier this year). If my BF is close by, I’ll call him in to take them on (he’s been on EVE since pretty much the beginning). I admit I am not a PvP player by choice and don’t even know how to use external links like that killboard - sure I know how to click them, but to find out on my own w/o a direct link, I’m clueless… so I call him in or let it pass after marking that thief red on contacts.
I mine and build (and no, I don’t build Cats anymore) I am disabled IRL so fast movement across the keyboard or quick action on the mouse is difficult - I only have one useable hand atop spinal cord damage… having a ship out in an ice field or asteroid belt or a Burrow/Refuge or Hidden Hideaway (PvE) is about my limit.
CODE and others like them are not teaching me how to fish (I will admit that if some of their victims learn how to avoid being victims because they weren’t prepared, then I grant a slight bit of “It was a learning experience”, but it’s still cowardly. It would be just as easy to fly in close to their squishy target, wave, and open a chat with them explaining how they are making themselves an easy kill and how to avoid setting themselves up for some lo-sec PvP failure to gank them.
Then again, I believe kindness is the best policy - call me old fashioned with morals - say I don’t belong in EVE (which I’ve already heard plenty of times) but if we are using old sayings such as teaching to fish… I’ll add one more “You get more flies with honey than with vinegar”.
I’ve met a lot of nice people in New Eden by explaining their poor setups or how I could have had a Q-ship… a Venture rigged with weapons and not mining lasers and how they let me get close enough to hit them hard-ish, then how to spot potential attacks and make a quick getaway. A week or so later, I get a “You saved my ship with your advice” EVEmail.
Tell me, what is more satisfying? A quick and easy kill with no real consequences for failure or someone replying with gratitude that your information has made them play better and saved their booty from becoming booty… to me, knowing I saved another player’s ship from a potential ganker is a much longer lasting sense of achievement than a kill against a helpless target could ever be.
… but as CCP says, this is a sandbox game and players pretty much do whatever they choose is their way of playing. I personally believe gankers to be high school bullies who got older, but never grew up.
As for AFK’ers… they used to be a pain before this new asteroid belt layout began. I have yet to come across someone AFK (I get vocal at times in chat, testing if they reply. As stated, I play everyday. I have yet to have anyone NOT respond to me in the last two months (I have encountered players who haven’t, but not recently and especially not since the new rollout of belt layout. The new mining asteroid system seems to have put a limit on their impact, if any… so why take out every ship in a belt “just in case they are AFK”? (that’s actually from the CODE Manifesto… “take them all out because some might be AFK”).
C’mon… you don’t really believe the fishing proverb, in regards to ganking a mining ship, is helping the miner fix their issue, do you?
Someone mining… another ship arrive, blows them out of the sky, sends them an EVEmail saying the killed player should be grateful for “the lesson”, yet doesn’t explain any lesson? Naw, that’s just an excuse to attempt to justify stepping on a tomato.

I do apologize for the lengthy reply - just trying to cover as much as possible with clarity.

1 Like

Kamikazes went after aircraft carriers, not tug boats. These suicide gankers use cheap ships, light module loadout and hit defenseless ships to steal the cargo. It’s like beating up an old lady waiting for a bus, then saying “I taught her how to not get beat up!” or “It was a real challenge how she tried to swing her walker at me, but my baseball bat took her out in one swing!”… come on… it’s cowardly, but if that is how you (not YOU) want to earn your ISK instead of actually spending long hours mining… this is EVE and you can pretty much do as your heart desires (which says a lot about one’s IRL frame of mind… and I’ve heard the, “No, I am not like this IRL, but it’s fun to play like I’m evil”… only someone messed up in the heart would say such a thing. It would be more respectful to just say, “Yeah, I like picking on the easy targets”).
I do have the capacity and BPOs to build the ships mostly used in suicide ganking. The ONLY cost is the factory fee - a Cat or Algos or similar destroyer comes in under 10k ISK to build… there is no risk of loss for a suicide ganker in the right ship.

You might not yet be thinking about things from this perspective, but you at some point will need to realize that a game like this needs villains as much as it needs heroes, or else there’s no point to it.

When you start drawing real-life parallels to the game like that, you’re failing to grasp the fundamental concepts of competitive gaming in general. Assuming real-life attributes for people engaging in certain legitimate (i.e. not cheating) play styles in a video game is tantamount to prejudice, and that’s a much worse trait to possess than being violent in a game where violence is one of the primary features.

Postponing these lessons is only going to result in a worse outcome, as the longer one plays without taking an upsetting loss, the bigger the loss will be when it inevitably does happen.

You can always ask what you did wrong. Or at the very least, you’ll be empowered to do some of your own research.

This is a terrible example.

Real life isn’t an entertainment experience into which you deliberately opt in via express consent. The old lady can’t opt out of the assault simply by not installing Real Life Offline. Which is, in fact, why assault is a crime, and blowing up your internet video game spaceship isn’t.

If you need to reach for a straw like that, you either don’t yet understand gaming, or you do and don’t belong in it.

Just stop. If you’re inclined to base your real-life perceptions of people based on what they do in a role-playing video game, you really shouldn’t be here.

2 Likes

LOL! There’s a huge difference between piracy in a space game and some poor old lady getting assaulted. Piracy is not cowardice. And using cheap ships isn’t cowardice either, it’s smart.

I don’t need to kill ships to earn isk, I’d be ganking for the pleasure. I always wanted to be a pirate and had I been born 500 years earlier I’d most definitely be a pirate, albeit not a cruel one but a shipsinker and gold-getting one for sure.

Oh come on :smile: Do you really think all those people who play Battlefield have the frame of mind of Marines or Navy Seal ? Do you really think those kids would love to kill someone irl ? There is a galaxy-like gap between what people do in games and who they are and suggesting any different is disingenuous.

It’s not about picking on easy targets, it’s about playing the game in all of the ways the developers have allowed it should be played. Piracy is allowed and you can bet your butt that if you and I ever met in a system and I have the opportunity to blow you up, well by god I shall not miss you. That’s the game.

It’s still a ship loss and it counts as a ship loss regardless of its price.

1 Like

Change the record please…

2 Likes

Huh. Amazing. Every word of what you said was wrong.

Knew a dude in UO back in the day. Dedicated red and murderer. He had so many murder counts, it’d take forever to get blue again. He’d harvest body parts and decorate his home with them. He murdered noob and vet alike.

IRL? He was an outstanding paramedic/firemen who had been recognized several times for his bravery and deeds in saving others, as well as an awesome family dude. But ya, I guess he was messed up in the heart cause he killed people in a vidya game.

Please. Get a grip. :smiley:

2 Likes

You seem to be pretty salty I called you guys out on your double standards. Wonder why? :thinking:

Then come correct. It’s alright to admit you baited the dude and then blapped.

You wouldn’t be the first “good” guys to go “bad”.

Funny story, that Hawk dude has also blocked me. Why? Because I hit him with some hard truth in local. He claimed to not enjoy ganking others, but was doing it for the good of the game. Nah bro, he doing it for loot and lulz, which is fine.

Just be honest about it :smiley:

If ‘baiting’ is running a site in a system, and then defending ourselves. There wasn’t a single rattlesnake in the fleet…

After all… it would be daft to venture into LS without some means of self-defense?

1 Like

Lordy… that link is wicked. I had a good laugh at all the salt but by Toutatis! I can’t believe these miners would be so bold as to threaten a player’s life in-game knowing those convos can be screenshot and sent to CCP.
One of them says he’s a “successful person” irl then goes on to threaten Aiko’s and her kids’ life irl, that’s completely unchained and borders on criminality.
Sounds like those people have poured all their soul into a ship or something… it’s just incredible.
Thanks for the link. That site is a hoot. It’s scary to think about those players who lose their mind and threaten life and limbs but still a good laugh overall.

1 Like

No one is saying you can’t defend yourselves. Just be honest about it.

Ya’ll really gonna make me go and talk to this random dude huh?

Sigh.

I’m no psychologist, so I will have to assume you are correct. the very thought of playing with a “villain mindset” is absolutely foreign to my ability to comprehend how someone could play in such a style if they are decent people IRL.
I was in a coma for many years - literally - and have to get used to modern ways of thinking/behaving (yes, I am in counseling to readjust myself to modern society/changes in social behavior) so it’s very possible I am just naive about split personas in-game v IRL… but to go so far as to say I am prejudiced about others is uncalled for. It’s not, I hold no prejudices. You might believe I do due to my disdain for people who take advantage of less-experienced players. Prejudice is an irrational hatred for others without legitimate reason. My reasons for how I look at players who take advantage of lesser-experienced players is fact-based, not irrational. Therefore, I disagree with your applying such a word to this topic.
Games like this DO need villains, I fully understand this, but there are certain forms of villainy such as thieves and gankers who will kill this game in the long run (I’ve read the CCP notes regarding new player retention). Villains who run off lesser-experienced players are not creating a game of us vs them, it drives away the players who just want to learn this game and ENJOY this game… the statistics show new players are the ones who buy the PLEX with real money, they are the ones who are keeping the shareholders happy.
This game does need a “good v evil” factor, but not the type of evil that would drive off a new player. This is the villainy I am against simply for the fact that without these new players, this game will shut down if it become too costly to run than profits made running it.
The big picture is this game needs good v evil, or blue v red… factions against factions, but the player who seeks out to take advantage of the “squishier” players… they are just ruining the game with their form of mentality (by “ruining” I am talking about new player retention/loss ratio)… they might think they are teaching new players or creating the good v evil this game needs, but the manner in which they do so - the cowardly gank - that is what I believe is that bully who never grew up re-living their glorious victory over the geeky kid back in high school. THAT isn’t the villainy that is good for the game.
… just my opinion, no prejudice, just stats and reality.