Expert Systems - Coming Soon!

Just reintroduce the monocle and get it over with.

8 Likes

Please implement this in Sisi only. If a player could be an expert in an area using an implant/booster only, then it would render the skill system useless.

However, using this on Sisi while giving the player free Omega on Sisi (already existing feature) could mean much more,since They could test everything out with minimal effort.

2 Likes

Moving forward it’s interesting to think how the conversations are going to go in Rookie Help.

At the moment we get the whole ‘why can’t I have a barge / mining Drones / other Omega only thing’ and obviously we answer that these things are Omega only and they need to subscribe.

Most of them are annoyed by that, declare EVE to be P2W, tell us they thought Alpha was a proper free game and feel that they were lied to, call Omega ‘premium’, refuse to accept that Alpha is just a free trial, go on a long rant about how unfair it all is and threaten to quit.

That has been going on for years.

In the future they will ask why they can’t have these things and we will answer what? Go to the New Eden Store and pay $ and you can, for a week 

and that’s going to go down well?

Really??

3 Likes

I’m an actual new player, close to 3 months in, so this is about me and people like me. It’s NOT about people who’ve been playing for 10 years and have 200 mil SP. I’d LOVE to be able to try different things and play styles without having to wait days or weeks to try it without having to commit to omega and, being a realistic person, I fully understand that CCP is a business and wants to make money.

Right now I have the CHOICE to train it normally but slow and be limited in some ways, I have the CHOICE of going omega and training faster. That’s it, if I’m alpha I can’t try out cloaks to see if I’d enjoy it or anything else that’s gated (for good reason) either through training time or alpha limitations.

This new systems adds the CHOICE to try things beyond my current capabilities and alpha limitations, possibly getting me interested or hooked on the game. In my case I made a bunch of alpha accounts to try different things in the game, different factions and play styles but I wasn’t able to try things that are omega locked.

I see a whole lot of outrage by people who aren’t actual new players and as such aren’t the intended customers for this, that and people who just want free stuffs. People who’ve been playing for so long they have “all” the SP and are accustomed to things taking 7 weeks to train, which they can deal with because they have tons of play options anyway. New players do not have that, everything takes a silly amount of time.

Don’t get me wrong, the whole “slippery slope” thing I can fully understand and this is certainly NOT a full solution to the NPE issue but allowing newbies to try out “cool stuff” is a GOOD thing.

7 Likes

Comon, ̶C̶P̶P̶ Pearl Abyss. I’m not on board with this one. This should be FREE and ONE TIME per char and tied to career agents, as others have suggested. This should be for BRAND NEW players to see what all the fuss is about, not for veteran corps and ca$h rich players to exploit - and they will.

This devalues the time people spend training or grinding ISK to buy SP, cheapens the achievement of skilling up and diminishes the hard-earned tactical edge enjoyed by people who have actually put their blood sweat and tears into the game.

Get your priorities right:
you’re trying to attract and retain new players?
Find out what the fans like about the game - the core players, the lifers, the people who actually care about GAME and not the money to be made.
Then stick to that.

You are doing to EVE what Disney did to Star Wars. If you focus too much on attracting new customers, you’re going to lose all your fans.

5 Likes

The fastest way to ruin any game is to turn on God Mode. It’s like watching the last 5 minutes of the movie first.

4 Likes

Komi Valentine never would have stood for this if she were on the CSM!

CCP don’t care about that. You’ve invested your time, they have your money (and don’t give me that CCP care crap as they really don’t)

And this new version of loot boxes is a good cash cow for them. It’s a carrot on a broken stick. New players, who know not a lot about the game, how the mechanics work, what they want to do will lap it up. Seems a good deal to them.

It’s good business logic but it won’t stop people leaving as ultimately, there’s issues to fix with NPE and well, lots of the systems. But, flip side, it pays for servers for the people who are already invested.

So is it a good idea? for player rentention, no. For Pearl Abyss making money, yes.

This isn’t going to replace the value of real experience. The whole point of training is to learn until you are ready to step into a more advanced role. Giving new players a temporary boost so they are able to jump into an expensive ship is just going to result in more wrecks of those expensive ships. There are no shortcuts for learning how to do a task in Eve, you either take the time to learn it and do it well or you don’t and you do it badly.
The amount of time wasted teaching new players how to work with their “temporary” skills should be applied to teaching them how to use what they have in preparation for what they will be later on. Adding features like this , while stripping features like the EVE Racial backstory, I believe is the wrong way to go for this game / company .
Features like this should be implemented or remain on SISI, isn’t that what the Test server is for? Testing ideas and theories to see if they work for a pilot or the game as a whole?
Open up the Skill Tree on SiSi if players want to test out how to train rather than add another game monetizing feature that will just upset the natural order of the universe

1 Like

So giving someone a taste of what it’s like to be a miner, by giving virtual skillpoints for a week, and letting them try out mining to see if they like it, is going to cheapen the achievement of them skilling up to be a miner if thats what they want to be?

i’m trying to make sense of what you said. Expert Systems is giving new players an option to have full virtual skillpoints to mine or other things later on, and while they have expert systems activated, they can train the actual skillpoints to use what they are getting a taste of.

1 Like

it’s not a boost
 smh.

1 Like

One use might be to tie starter points to completion of career sets in tandem. So, do a career set, get a better taste of what each might mean via an expert system, and then have access to your 1 M buddy points (if eligible).

Still their choice what to do with those points, but at least it might be a better informed choice?

Remember the days where you could right click > Show Info to gauge what you might be up against? Ancient history! I kind of think this is a neat idea though

3 Likes

(Insert conspiracy theory here.)

Tbh, I don’t think CCP wants more players. They seem to be happy with the numbers they have and just want to cash grab. TDI is already a problem in the large battles that used to draw in the numbers. Why bring in more? They had a winning formula but tossed it out the window. Imagine the numbers we would have now at that rate? The servers would never handle it. Now they can just take more cash from players who would quit anyway

That’s not getting them their bonuses. (You’ll want to translate it.)

Seriously. If you think Hilmar’d rather have the small-potatos stuff CCP’s getting from squeezing the rocks a little harder, and is happy he’s personally out about $13 million
 I think yer nuts.

3 Likes

Oh man, that explained a lot. That’s a far bigger discrepancy in numbers than I would have thought. I’m not sure if the pandemic is helping or hurting? Probably helping in the short term. And even that will taper off as soon as it’s safe to go outside again. And for what our “CEO” got paid, I could do alright with that and toss this game into the trash bin while walking away behind the scenes I guess. Or worse, staying at the helm?

The truth would hurt but I pretty much already figured it out.

Thanks for the link!

1 Like

Ah, so they didn’t make their performance targets. I was wondering if they would.

2 Likes

And so this will show as subscription numbers as well? Falsely inflating the numbers?

Just thinking about it, I feel this isn’t good for long term motivation.

The way the current skill system works, skills are something to earn — the real time pumped in gives each skill immense value. Giving new players a glimpse of the end game does not help with motivation. They’ve already experienced the rush of using the dream ship/module. There isn’t anything to work towards!

I’m a relatively new player myself, and I get real satisfaction being able to use something (T2 armor plates for instance) after a really long train.

When I want to try something out, I go to SiSi. You don’t get the instant SP boost there, but you’re able to use stuff for almost free. That isn’t the same as selling these “expert systems”.

CCPlease don’t hurt player retentivity!

1 Like

I’ll bet this started out as an even worse idea and the CSM convinced CCP to go with this current idea. That is the only explanation that makes sense where these guys actually defend this.

5 Likes