Expert Systems - Coming Soon!

As far as I can tell, these expert systems will not allow players to fly expensive ships they cannot pay for. These expert systems are intended for newbies to get slightly higher skills in those newbie activities like mining (high skill Venture mining), exploration (so you can scan those sigs easier in your T1 frigate) and things like that.

It would be silly to allow players to temporarily get higher skills in ships that are too expensive for a newbie, I agree. And I think CCP agrees too.

2 Likes

I know, i never said they were permanent

Even if it were for plex, the cost would still be there, someone still has to spend money, a new player isn’t likely to be any less able to spend that money, just less willing

And you’ll always get them, even if the tutorial has text for it you’re still expecting people to read it, there is a limit to what CCP can actually do, they could convert the entire EVE-Uni wiki in to a set of tutorial missions, doesn’t mean people will pay enough attention to not have to ask the same repetitive questions

Except you don’t get everything and its only going to be for certain skills, so if you’re mad about an alpha being able to pay to have engineering 5 or science 5 for a week i think you need to reconsider your gaming choices lol

You seem to be under the impression this is going to grant them things like titan 5, and even then, EVE isn’t pay to win even if they could do that, because being able to fly a titan isn’t an i win button to begin with, such a thing doesn’t actually exist

1 Like

Let new players get these through missions and tutorials as well.

6 Likes

Is this the Carrot?

2 Likes

Based on what? The total lack of hard data in the post? CCP’s amazing track record on New Player Retention?

These are the guys who claim to have invented the raffle, remember.

3 Likes

OK let me start off by saying i love eve online great game and it has defiantly gotten beater in the last few years.

Now I cant really say i like this new feature its to much of a pay to win thing. while eve already has some of those features in the game they require a couple more steps and other player interaction (namely skill injectors which come from players)

Maybe instead of putting this behind a pay wall during the tutorial you give the noob charter max skills and some bling ships to play with then when its done back to noob status.

anyway i appreciate the hard work you all put into the game even if i don’t agree with every decision thanks.

1 Like

… and it’s not even 1st of April yet, because I thought it’s that day of the year while reading this.

Seriously CCP , rent SP for cash ?! If I were to propose such thing on the forums here , thread would have been locked for trolling.

7 Likes

fixed

We’ve all seen enough of what happens to ill-fitted blinged-out hulls flown by people who don’t know better to know this is more like ‘pay to lose’.

Dunno about max skills, but ‘advanced skills’ with this would be pretty good. New players are supposed to be new pilots. Give 'em some time in the rookie systems (where they can’t get ganked anyway) as ‘simulator time’ or something to get a taste of what’s out there.

4 Likes

:ok_hand: Agree

3 Likes

No, this is the cyanide pill and you will be charged a bill for it .

I’m going to reserve any judgement on this until more details are released. There’s no point getting worked into a tizzy over something with so little information released. It’s an interesting concept, but I’m wondering what ships it will allow you to skill into. I almost want to say that just going omega would work better, but again, not enough information to go on.

4 Likes

My main objection here is not putting them on the market.

I don’t know if the idea is useful to new players or not. For example, they still need to buy ships for skills they won’t keep, which is awkward.

But it’s really not a big deal compared to the breach of EVE’s standard approach to real money purchasable items, which has always been to allow them on the market. If I’m understanding correctly, this isn’t costed in plexes either, which would be an easy way to implement them in terms of a currency we can already get in game.

3 Likes

I don’t remember anything that’s for free in there:

Expert Systems, in their current form, will be obtainable only from the EVE Store and others will occasionally be part of daily login rewards.

It is true that more details are needed , but we can all see where this is heading.

1 Like

@Hariet

wow … I think they liked your idea.

1 Like

Crap on NPE, I want Omega Prime subscription (or at least Booster for $$$) with double the speed of double the Omega SP training speed! NOW!

1 Like

Pay to fly Titan?

That’s not the same at all and you know it. EVE is a game that requires patience and endurance above all else. Removing those requirements early on just to introduce these people to these concepts later on is the wrong way to make people stay and appreciate EVE. It nurtures the wrong kind of people into EVE. It nurtures more of this “I want my stuff now, at any cost” mindset that caused EVE so much trouble in recent years because CCP already pandered to it way too much.

2 Likes

You can already do that, this time though it will be only for a limited time. You will buy the hull with PLEX , lose it , whine and cry a bit on the forum and then quit .

Fatality !!! CCP wins !

I can understand they are running a business in the end , but this just feels so wrong.

7 Likes

Based on (1) what CCP is saying in this announcement and and (2) the skills these expert systems offer:

Since the Expert Systems that are to be offered are a new player aid, they will focus on lower-level activities.

Hoboleak skills (not necessarily the actual values that CCP adds, mind)
My observation: Skills offered are mostly 3-4 it seems, apart from a couple rare 5s.

None of these skills allow a player to fly T2 ships yet. Exporation has no lvl 5s and allows players to fly T1 explo frigates better, the mining expert system also has no lvl 5s and only allows flying T1 Barges.

The Magic 14 has only a couple 5s and those skills do not allow players to fly a more expensive ship than before.

The only expert system that allows newbies to fly something more expensive is the leaked ‘interceptor’ expert system: Grand Prix Interceptors Expert System, but that one isn’t part of this update yet:

The first of these products to become available will be focused on exploration, mining, and the core skills required to operate spaceships in EVE (commonly referred to as the ‘Magic 14’).

The conclusion is that these Expert systems allow newbies to fly cheap newbie ships better, not that they allow newbies to fly better (and more expensive) ships, unless you count T1 barges as expensive ships that is. :stuck_out_tongue:

The Interceptor Expert systems is an outlier, but is not part of this release. Maybe that’s part of some future event or something, not sure.

5 Likes