Expert Systems - Coming Soon!

:rofl:

does anyone at ccp play this game? how about you focus on making things like PVE and faction warfare good, new players wont need to “experience” more of the game if the game they are epxeriencing was more engaging.

3 Likes

Hey folks, which picture do you find more appropriate? :stuck_out_tongue:

16 Likes

CCP = Collecting Cash Period

Only playing for rl cash.

Iff thats the future of EVE, the will lose loads players!

2 Likes

This trash does not belong in EVE. Years ago this would have caused an uproar in the game’s population. Now the frogs have been boiled so much that it will probably pass.

fearless

ceo

monocle

3 Likes

I like it, for things like magic 14 or something, but not something really high up otherwise they might try it go meh this is not so great and then not try dream of it, its sometimes better to dream and appreciate it more when you get there than getting it early not finding it too great because the skill does not match the experience anymore.

What a waste of development time and effort.

“Here’s what life is like with a 7-figure salary, trophy wife and a $250k Ferrari… Now that you’ve had a taste, have fun going permanently back to your minimum wage job, no relationship and 2003 Ford Focus.”

This will have the opposite effect of what is intended.

5 Likes

EVE is rapidly becoming the game with the most ‘spend $ to do things’ mechanics that I have ever played, and I’ve played most things that EA (most hated company on the planet due to its microtransaction obsession) ever released.

Hell EVE might already be that game.

Is that a good achievement?

Makes me sad. Oh for the days when you had to work hard to make your character better, to become rich, to do anything. Sheer in game effort, never $.

I wonder if there are any games left like that these days.

/feels old.

4 Likes

On behalf of all rookies all over New Eden, I thank you.

2 Likes

Except, again, this isn’t that. This doesn’t remove those requirements, it just gives new players a taste, then tells them that if they want to keep getting high, they gotta be good little sp-mules just like everyone else.

There’s definitely room for concern here, but nobody’s jumping ahead in line w/this crap.

Ok, so you’re seeing ‘lower-level activities’ and assuming that won’t mean T1 cruiser-sized hulls?

Mining Barges are lower-level activities. They’re not Exploration Frigates1, they’re not Exhumers, they’re definitely not the cetacean line.

Yeah, every time people point to hoboleaks, I’m reminded of an on-the-record sit down w/a CCP dev where he said CCP actively tries to keep accurate data from being what’s on hoboleaks. While I don’t think they’re successful very often, the very fact that CCP is trying to feed hoboleaks misinformation means it can’t be cited as authoritative.

Shockingly, the example you objected to… was a T1 Barge2. Fit with faction and deadspace modules that don’t require Vs.

For example, they can use this.

[Covetor, Deathtrap]

‘Aoede’ Mining Laser Upgrade

Gistum A-Type Medium Shield Booster

ORE Strip Miner
ORE Strip Miner

Medium EM Shield Reinforcer II
Medium Core Defense Field Extender II
Medium Core Defense Field Extender II

Go on, take a look. Using just the skills in the hoboleaks entry for the mining pack, that there 1.66b ISK ‘GANK ME’ sign is totally feasible for the newbie who has some money to throw at it and get right to pulling in a whopping 20.3m3/s of ore. Four times what a T1 venture can do! Almost seven times what a starting Venture can pull in!

AW YEAH, BOIEE, WE IN D’MONEY NOW! Just suckin’ down that trit… And it only cost them 688 PLEX, for $30 US. I mean, it’ll die as soon as it’s ship-scanned, and a week later they’ll need to use the other 12 PLEX they’ve got left to get more ISK to try to pick up an injector…

BUT IT’S NOT T2 SO THAT’S COOL, RIGHT?

1. Just to be clear here, because you mention ‘T1 explo frigates’, I’m talking about the ‘Exploration Frigates’ T2 ship category.

2. Just checked, you were right, I said a T2 barge, muh bad. Point stands.

3 Likes

Well that’s just silly. Are you saying that, because a Covetor can be bling fit, that CCP is encouraging newbies to bling their ship when they get access to a Covetor?

As far as I know, I could put a lot of bling on a Corvette as well. Bling has nothing to do with these Expert Systems.

Well I was talking about the T1 explo frigates, because these Expert Systems do not allow newbies to fly T2 explo frigates (no level 5s!) so the newbie doesn’t have to pay for PLEX like you claim to be able to make use of their Expert Systems.

1 Like

clear up the typos, damnit. i’m normally pretty patient when it comes to reading typoesse, but that was a wall of typos

Arrendis, how to make this small text please?

2 Likes

I’m saying that newbies don’t know better. I’m saying we’ve already seen a ridiculous number of wallet-warriors who go and spend RL money to get bling, get it blown up, and then do it again because the most expensive crap must be better, right?

Just look at this special fellow.

He was still at it as of November, btw. 700M ISK frigates. 1b+ isk pod losses in lowsec.

And with newbies, it just gets worse, because while this idiot’s had time to learn at least a little bit… they haven’t. They’re trying the game out. They see green/blue/purple loot on the ‘Auction House’ and think it’s the best crap, so it’ll last! And that’s because EVE still doesn’t teach newbies a damned thing.

So yeah. Yeah, you’ll get plenty of that. The system might as well be designed to encourage it. It’s literally ‘hey! come be able to use stuff you aren’t ready to use because the game’s designed to ease you into these expensive losses, but now we’re gonna jump you on up! Thanks for your wallet!’

And yes, I know you were talking about T1, you said you were talking about T1. But you and I aren’t the only ones looking at these replies. I didn’t want readers to get confused when we’re both talking about ‘exploration frigates’ and meaning totally different things. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

so, what you’re looking for is some nifty stuff.

There are < sup > and < sub > tags (only without the spaces, obviously) that can even be nested to get some really funky effects. :wink:

5 Likes

Well hopefully these Expert Systems teach newbies that extra skill levels aren’t everything they’re looking for, just that they are helpful!

I once thought that skill levels matter a lot. I mean, they do, but not as much as I thought when I was a newbie. And these Expert Systems could teach that to newbies: not much changes, except you’re a bit better at it.

Wow, unbelievable… In the history of Eve, this has gotta be the worst idea ever…

The only thing this ‘Expert System’ idea will do is cause even more reduction to New Player Retention.

If CCP really wanted new players to have a good start into the game, they’d have all of the Magic 14 skills already fully trained with Character Creation.

5 Likes

Unfortunately, no, they don’t. Because there’s no context. Newbies will need to get more ISK than new pilots earn in order to take advantage of the Expert Systems. A Venture hull is 391k. A new pilot, running missions, is earning little enough that replacing a Venture takes time. That Covetor hull—just the hull—is 40M. It can take weeks to get that, the first time. Weeks. Plural.

These things only work if the newbie’s already got a good corp around them, giving them advice and support. Otherwise, it’s a tar pit. And if the newbie’s already got that, they’re already getting the lessons you hope this will teach, and more.

I wish you were right. I really do. Legitimate newbie help/teaching aids would be massive. But this ain’t it. :frowning:

3 Likes

Hey CCP, You guys don’t sell the 1mil SP pack anymore. right If you had kept selling it, wouldn’t this have happened? Can there be other thing “newbie freindly” more than the 1 mil SP pack?? I think 2 mil SP would have been worth challenging for any content. Why do you think newbros have to “borrow” skills to challenge whatever?

2 Likes