Fair Play Alliance

Seems it is not me who reacts emotionally here. As you apparently do not read what is written, I will explain it to you:

What I did was pointing out the actual possibility that the bar may change anytime they see fit, or any time the whiners believe it is not “high” enough. If you like that or not … and obviously you do not … is not relevant to anything at all. It is a possibility and that is all there is to it.

This is not about people whining. It’s about people facing reallife harassment becasue some people can’t tell the difference between game and reallife. And it’s relevant because it can push people out of the game.

However so many people are against this because they fail to see the difference which puts further emphasis on why it’s important. Remember that this isn’t just an initiative that CCP pulled out of their ass. It’s several game companies working together to deal with the toxic behaviour that doesn’t have anything to do with the gameplay.

With the way gaming & social network companies have been defining “harassment” and anything “toxic” with hazy wording in TOS /EULA gives them to ban anyone for any offense that they deem offensive. Don’t you think we have a right to worry about where this thing is headed? If I piss someone off in Overwatch for saying “GG”, they decide to report me because that idiot read a troll post that GG means “get good” instead of “good game”. Say that report leads to Blizzard banning me for being “toxic”. Will Blizzard be sharing a list of IP’s and email addresses of “toxic” people with the Fair Play Alliance? I’m sure this is just talks at the beginning, sharing stories of how things have been dealt with in the past. But lets just say a few MOTIVATED people charged with preventing “toxic” behavior decide to start creating a DB that gets you preemptively banned from all gaming companies in the Fair Play Alliance.

I HAVE NO PROBLEM with taking care of harassment that crosses the in-game banter to RL threat. I just want to know where this Fair Play Alliance is going.

So you decide to use worst case scenario, that’s highly unlikely to happen, to judge the whole thing? This has barely started and already there are doomsayers voicing thier concerns: “The wolf is coming”.

How about being more realistic about things? With more companies discussing this they will be able to come with better definitions of harassment. And even if they decide to share blacklists with each other they will most likely do it in the cases with worst/repeated offenses. Remember that even with botting CCP gives you a 2nd chance.

If you want to know where it’s going then wait and see. But remember that CCP is already having a hard stance on harassment so don’t expect things to completely change. The sky isn’t falling.

Don’t pay attention to the man behind the curtain, everything is fine.

While I can hope that’s all it will be as you describe, pardon me for trying to anticipate those who seek to “make the world a better place by any means necessary”. If you pay attention to how things are going in the free world, you might want to anticipate the worst and hope for the best.

End of thread I guess, Mizhir says all is well, nothing to see here, carry-on people.

Just for the record: I am not against this. I am simply worried that in the near to medium future people will attempt to “lower the bar” regarding what is considered “harrassment” etc. While the companies might define it for themselves, there simply is no guarantee that a lot of actually toxic carebears attempt to get this to be changed in their favour.

Your attempt of telling people that “all is good” and “the sky isn’t falling” is equal to “stop thinking. trust companies. they have your best interest at heart.”

2 Likes

Excuse the sarcastic comment, at a base level I do not believe that being offended is an illegal act, sadly our society has gone full dumb and many companies seem to follow this line of thought. I much prefer the more conservative approach of treating dumb people as dumb people, and this applies to myself when I am being dumb.

3 Likes

But it doesn’t mention pants…

yeah ill agree to that, World of Warships is a game I like to pvp in but it gets my blood pressure up too much because of players not able to do simple things. I told a carrier not to go a certain way due to enemy forces seen heading in that direction carrier goes direction anyways “don’t tell me what to do” nonsense *carrier is the first ship to die I under 4 mins and proceeds to rant the rest of the match how the fleet didn’t come to his rescue.

4 Likes

Please show me where they state that they will use any means necessary.

And I apologise for interfering with your echochamber.

I haven’t muted you, blocked you, or called for your banning, no echo chamber here.

I don’t trust people, especially those who like having power over other people.

Toxic carebears? Are you serious? Well it definitely shows how paranoid you are. And again you are trying to mix ingame actions (like ganking carebears) with RL harassment.

I agree with you that scepticism is vital. But this thread is just people being irrational and thinking that everything will change.

Here is a hint that will help you avoid some cases of people doing things they are being told not to:

AVOID USING THESE WORDS: don’t, not.

Learn to phrase your commands without negation. It does not help for every single one, but it helps with some. The same applies for a panicking crowd, btw. The reason is simply that some people’s minds might be in a certain state right at the moment the words are said, which can cause them to unintentionally “ignore” the negation and thus do it.

Works especially well with children.

You honestly think that they like banning people? That they get turned on for using their power? They have the rules to protect the players from the people who don’t know how to behave.

Oh, you are right. My bad. Toxic carebears do not exist. Thank you for your thoughtful comments, and please do not feel regarded as toxic carebear thanks to your very own comments.

Have a nice day … though that seems unlikely. You might want to calm down again.

If they are the ones beig toxic why are you afraid of an initiative against toxicity. Toxicity itself is not necessarily coupled with how you play ingame. So whether they are carebears or not is irrelevant.

And funny how many people always assume that people who disagree with them are mad or upset. But maybe it’s their own traits they are projecting onto someone.

I am … afraid?

Well, I have no idea what you are reading … but I guess that settles it then.

Well concerned then.

You are assuming that I think ALL in the Alliance think this way but I don’t… But certain communities fostered by some of those companies have ban happy employees and report happy communities that like to abuse the rules to have power over others. While I hope that CCP could influence those other companies to not be so petty, I have little faith in that happening. I believe that best I can hope for out of this is that, yeah, they just talk about the assholes that take in game BS to the real world and harass people outside the game.

I don’t fear CCP changing how they handle EVE banter, that’s not my issue or fear, I have more faith in CCP than most in this department. I’m wondering what was to come from this and if it’s going to be useful or useless or will CCP be affected by outside BS.

I totally understand you I met does kind of people in all walks of games and it makes you almost lose in on how damn naive and stubborn some people are even when you try to help them they blindly go the other direction even if it´s full of land mines and then they demand help even when being warned several times before.