First CSM Summit Meeting Minutes

You should understand the context. Around 90%+ players that don’t join a corp fast, like in a couple of days to two weeks leave the game. There is no mention about the average highsec dweller and it is a perfectly legitimate thing.

True. But something in 2020 will change that. I will say no more, else they’ll try to ‘meta’ it. :grin:

Rather what issiues were brought to the summit, and at this point I don’t even care about CCP answers. I’m looking foward this year vegas. This will be determinant of how CCP is salvaging this mess.

Read the session titles then, that should cover what you want.

If you would allow me a small response:

1. If CCP is the one that published those minutes, what did they think would happen when they mention the DAC without providing numbers? Especially after this debacle that we are all still dealing with?

2. Can you provide info on what is discussed via those channels? Even basic info would be appreciated

3. The CSM is an advisory group, but even an advisory group sometimes needs to do some fist pounding, especially following this BO debacle.

@Arrendis maybe I will, even though I know I dont stand a chance…
But it is not so much about me having the unredacted version, but for all of us to have it and see what they have been talking about, and what numbers CCP has been cooking between the BO and SP days

The CSM only represent their people, and when a portion of the people thread spam ‘pro-blackout’, I only deduce that’s what some CSM representatives are doing in their ‘several channels’ towards CCP. Blackout resulted in inactivity/walkout, the invasion was the reanimation, but both of those miscalculated moves are still fluctuating the newbros/subs-activity. It is easier today to walk out of eve online because of what’s out there. And it’s twice as hard to get those people back in the game, let alone new ones.

One would think experience make a better decision make, and that CCP would be wise vs local removal, which is such an intricate tool, core coded in our DNA. Turns out, this newer version of CCP is racking up even more surprising stunts as of late - figured that’s for publicity. Nothing new here. But offline recruiters (media etc) are also changing their instance from space mmo to freak show mmo.

Sudden change(s) which are core to our ways of life, affects our numbers and image drastically, and with a lowering possibility of reversing the numbers (because competition).

It’s a tough job being in the spotlight - but you wanted that, so I encourage our CSM fellows to MAKE SURE that whatever transpires on the forum (r/eve or twitter or twitch) is in the best interest of an Exp-Growth, and within their control. For the next 18 months to come, work together and not only to suit your play style.

1 Like

Well, Gobbins said on our discord where we could ask questions regarding the summit, that the next ~6 months, it’s gonna’ get worse, but he is positive that the game will get better within 2-3 years.

Titles are one thing, what is under them bothers me. That’s why I need solid statement from CCP and expect it at this year Vegas, otherwise I don’t see bright future for this game. Gibbering about new achievements, mountains analogies, helping new players to stay must follow solid moves.

To me, this is disclosure enough.

My plans on cutting EVE stand. I now hold a single paid account and will renew only on a monthly basis, starting with a cool down period (my 6mo single ends this Oct.) of 2 weeks in protest and to begin moving on reducing withdrawal symptoms. If it works, I should find more joy in my other hobbies and probably won’t come back.

If I don’t like the taste of what’s being offered while keeping me blindfolded, I refuse to continue playing EVE.

My money is all I have to make a change.

3 Likes

These are the records of the conversations as they happened that don’t implicate upcoming releases that could be damaged if they were released early.

What exactly are you looking for if not the conversations themselves?

The later patch notes and dev blogs that implement changes based off these conversations come when they come. But these reflect the parts of the meetings that aren’t NDA/confidential or that CCP has chosen to release. Not sure what exactly you want instead of this.

2 Likes

Some players might like a “fight club” version of the minutes. Except, nobody is supposed to talk about fight club. Forgive me, (or not) - I am getting carried away with this thought, lol.

CSM #3: "Change X will kill the game, but if CCP would X+Y, Y could make it tolerable. "
CCP: We can’t afford Y.
CSM #4 “My brother could code it for you, for free!”
CCP: have him submit a resume, like everyone else has to.
CSM #5: “This is nuts! Everyone knows Y is the simplest thing.”
CSM #8: “doing Z would be the best way to go. I have a 4 page plan…”
CCP: We have 10 minutes left in this session, can you TL;DR ?
CSM #2: “Let’s arm-wrestle for it.”

1 Like

Can I…

It’s pretty much as I see CSM. A way to “consult” players representatives under strict damage control.

The problem is that if ppl don’t know about the rest, they consider that CCP might be getting “biased” feedback like the kind that brought the black summer. Which BTW, no one can say came from there. It’s all speculation because there was only chaos in the disinformation, not in the game.

I know most people would take advantage if for example SOV gets a BO treatment on Oct 25th and perhaps it would be a sound reason not to disclose such upcoming “chaos1.1”.

All I’m saying is that it’s worthless to ask CSM about more info. And if there was anything remotely good upcoming in the near future for the game (us), CSM would have come out of the summit with a huge smile and a comforting prognosis.

But no.

This matches the read. CCP is wasting time and money on a new NPE for the next 6 months, which I predict will increase retention by … nothing.

2 Likes

Retention? Let me tell you about retention.

There is an issue with retention that truly needs focus, which is to establish what a grown up is.
Because having a 4 day old rorqual pilot should mark a difference.

Say, HS is a new player (NP) friendly zone.
Say you want to give NP some advantage or protection, farther than HS currently gives.

• Like identifying what part of the mechanics kills the NP hype for EVE and making them impervious… example: gate bumping… some say gate bumping & Co. was so bad, that the game needed a delay and an auto-warp, right? muy malo for newbies. … I bet there is a million other stuff, CSM must have proposed because they know.

Say you are smart enough to identify more things like that and prompt NP that when they begin, they are impervious to such. and that if they train cruisers 3, well, sorry madam but the “real world” says you no noob no more and you also get prompted, you no pampered no more. Same if the player gets to 4 months old or whatever.

It doesn’t matter, it’s just an example to show that:

If a player gains while growing, could also lose some “abilities” while growing, that there are chances to give them “guarantees” procuring a swift adaptation. In many, many, many wonderful ways.

Now, I don’t know if CSM can sit by a table and propose this approach, or if CCP tells them what’s to be done and then they can only add to such points.
I don’t know how creative a CSM team is, or if it’s just a contestatary (responder) of what can be wrong about a list of already set items.

Retention is important, but transforming the game in favor of that instead of transforming NP to escalate and grow within what it’s already there, may be a more efficient approach and perhaps consume less resources while being more effective and acting directly on the regarding true new accounts.

See CSM? re-ten-tion.

Think about it.

Enjoyed the notes and really enjoying the willingness of Steve and other CSM to comment in here. Scaling taxes for structures was interesting though not really discussed. Fixing the Primae, yes! Looking forward to seeing ship index idea–too many ships in the game–making things simpler is welcome. Merkelchen comment about fixing the Rorq to cure so many other things–right on.

My biggest disappointment was while there was much discussion about NS, there seemed to be a profound reluctant to address the elephant in the room–reducing the super iron mountains in a meaningful way–like it’s some unassailable entitlement.

ExookiZ…
Most WH players PvP in nullsec, so he checked the isk lost in WH as opposed to isk lost by WH groups on the whole?
Our small group has lived in a low class wh for around 3 years and have only ever had 1 organized fight
WH stabilizers bad, super wormhole bad, drawbridge mentality mentioned (defence for small groups) but no mention of people rolling for content? tut tut
Wondering statics best option imo, as in every wh always has a wondering wormhole or more

It’s not just about the NPE. Or at least, not what you think of when you say NPE. Because you’re thinking the basic tutorials, rather than people looking at the whole thing. The Experience a new player has, when they start Eve.

Some examples (These are examples, rather than a roadmap.) : How you join a corporation. What your overview looks like. How to fleet up. Attributes (This is one I keep poking CCP to work on. probably not going to happen, but I can dream) Interdiction nullification on shuttles (Giving newbies an easy travel option, rather than needing Interceptors)

And so on. It’s not ‘give newbies a better tutorial’, it’s ‘make the game less likely to drive off newbies’

3 Likes

A quick note about the auto-warp: It’s not just about bumping. It’s about stopping people getting hung up on geometry and being stuck. Especially if they don’t know that you can cancel warp.

As for the rest, I’m strongly opposed to lying to newbies about what Eve is about. Which is effectively what you do, then you have crutches which you take away over time.

As for the relationship between CCP and the CSM: While we can propose stuff, that’s pretty much the smallest part of it. The two other legs are for community feedback, and for feedback on things which CCP tell us about.

1 Like

Well, as far as Gobbins said, CCP really paid attention to them and so on.
To quote Gobbins from discord “idk about the past but this year they seemed alarmed enough that they def listened”.

So I’d be cautiously optimistic. Doomsayers don’t help anyone and Gobbins did say that he has a positive outlook on 2-3 years from now, so that is good at least.

I understand, brought it as example but I guess that many are the mechanics dubbed as negative or frustrating for new players.

I thought about this and agree… Maybe slapping the “real EVE” on their faces is not a good idea as it may also become a deterrent. This is why I think if they are prompted about being introduced to the game with some “extras” that in time wear off, well, maybe most of them will understand. And keep in mind is not only about bumping… there are many other things that bother newbies like sunburn or corroded hinges on their eyewear, who knows.

I know it’s more difficult than the way I put it and I don’t have the knowledge to name them all. I’m just opening a window to show the possibility of making changes directly on the characters instead of the environment or the whole game, making use of the time and SP as attributes not only to engage but also to disengage features like this interdiction nullification on shuttles… I could argue is a lie too, and might be abused maybes… I mean, having 4 day old rorqual pilots? who can figure what they can do with a nullified chottel. So it would be better to keep some stuff limited to LS and/or HS depending on the case and only until they train frigs 4 or cruisers 3, or after 4 months… whatever comes first.

Like fancy GFX & SFX, most like them for a while, then… meh… most just switch them off. It’s part of growing.