For Folks who are 'Leaving'

I’d like to see an example of what the OP is talking about… because I think he’s not referring to discarded tantrums but those that prevail for having solid background.
Or is he?

I originaly read Mike’s post as a statement asking all players who are leaving/left EVE to do so quietly. That their need to present to the general player base or CCP any arguement or thought process to their decission to leave was a wasted effort. Since CCP seems to disregard feedback from the CSM, the test server, player roundtables, forum and Reddit posts, and even some topics’ Discords, I would say Mike is correct.
Course, that would make these forums even more quiet than they already are. CCP’s corporate strategy must be a form of PR I am not familiar with to ask every customer their opinions and ask for suggestions, then turn around and march your product development in a completely different direction.
Guess the quarterly numbers will continue to be the driving guide on their strategy, but you can only squeeze a game so far before player morale and interest in the game breakdown too far to repair.

2 Likes

I think the point of Mike’s post isn’t to say you can’t say why you don’t want to play anymore, or shouldn’t post about it. (Though I agree it is unlikely to change anything should you do so.) I think what he was getting at is that you don’t have to burn every bridge on your way out, and that nobody is likely to take you seriously enough to consider your point of view if what you’re doing is flinging barbs at everyone who stops to listen to you.

You can apply the same test to any post, though, whether it’s quitting eve or some other complaint about game mechanics. People who make more measured posts generally will get better results than a person who posts a rant regardless of the topic.

1 Like

Neither, actually.

Mikes point was that the drama behind a huge exit has far less impact than a well reasoned one. ‘I am not mad, I am disappointed and this is why . . . .’

A few people HAVE posted that sort of thing and I always find them thought provoking as opposed to the walls of text that contain text like 'blew up my ship and I wasn’t even . . . ’

It is not that I do not want to know why folks stay, why they go. Nor am I what passes for a complaint dept for CCP. I was asking about the tantrums themselves.

Side note. The forums is its own little sub community of Eve. There are names and faces, here, that pop up on a very regular basis. You get to know who they are, what they are likely to say. I do not even know if they play as Omegas or Alphas and to tell the truth? It does not matter. They are another part of the game and I welcome both those who agree as well as those who disagree with me.

m

7 Likes

In that case, my answer is: It is because there is no filter for personality on the forum. People express according to their will. I still suspect that most do it on purpose under the tacit argument that “drama sells”, which is undeniable.

Your quoting me in this context makes me wonder if you did or did not see the word “isn’t” in the text you quoted.

1 Like

There is a filter, it’s called “choosing to not act like a Twatter toddler”.

1 Like

Posted too early in my morning, apologies

m

2 Likes

I love you too, fella

1 Like

I agree with the idea of making in game death have a consequence other then loss of the assets you had on your ship at the time it was destroyed, but perma death wont work in eve as we have clones, but consider this idea.
when a pilot is sd’ed then based on standings, and past ship losses by the authorities, ie faction police or concord, and ship type the pilot died in, a reanimation delay that adds time from death till the time that any clone of that pilot can receive the command to reanimate.
There’s a lot of things in this that can add to the time it takes till the pilot can return to active play.
local police can add a delay to destroyer pilots who die in there space, for obvious reasons.
deaths by concord should be a permanent record thing that will always slow down any pilots reanimation, the more deaths you get the longer it will take.
thus death and how we play the game has consequences.

Very bad idea… We already have to wait to train into crap and you want to add MORE waiting?? Might as well log off and go play another game then, that’s a better alternative than just sit there waiting to play again.

1 Like

Quote,
Really? When was the last time? Because I dont think you know how to check a history.

If Im not killed a lot on ZKill dont you think that means I know how to not get killed in PvP?

Oh i agree with you there that data is long lost, some of my best fights were in 2005. There was one that was the best pvper i ever saw at that time called the countesser, now that was fun i never killed her, but she never killed me either.

Im quite stunned you dont know how to use the quote function.

But there’s nothing there claiming Im a

Great PvPers usually are good at killing things.

Great PvPers generally dont fly Orca as their ship of choice either.

1 Like

Was that the one who used to fly a tricked out Zealot a lot? using halos, etc. so it was like a frig but with much better damage/damage projection.

We used to use , Thorax’ s in the begining, Zealots did not exist back then, but the main ship of power, was the armageddon , it took 3 months to mine for but it stood its ground against, 3 to 1 odds, in battle ships, (but not against 9 to one unfortunately, lol) a pirate gate camp took my ship. but me and my m8 fought well. this was in the days when a Dominix ran 15 drones , I still love them to this day.

1 Like

First off I apologize to Mike Azariah, who wanted an answer to a simple question (or so he thought ) lol. There are a lot of people that love eve, and have invested more than they ever should have in a game, but thats water under the bridge, The simple answer is for all the veterans, is CCP do what you promised us. Simple as that.

2 Likes

At the end of the day any player can be an acceptable loss for CCP at the cost of growing the game, even if it was perfectly possible to both make changes which grow the game and keep that player in many cases.

Once I realised that I realised I could never invest the time and money in Eve that I was again and Eve isn’t a game where the equation works for me personally playing a more short term approach vs playing other games. As you mentioned recently there was a time when people would spend months mining towards building a battleship all the time engaged in thinking about what they would do with it when they finally got there, training the skills, etc. - if you (the developer) start messing with that too much it takes away from what separates Eve from other games (this will vary a bit player to player - some will be far more invested in the social side, etc.).

And that is one of the reasons some players kick the toys out the pram on leaving.

EDIT: I find it interesting that IMO a lot of what drove Eve’s initial success was that “human connection to gaming” not just the technical and mechanical connections to the game but those aspects are increasingly being sidelined in attempts to grow the game. And is probably one of the reasons I developed and still have a keen interest in the game despite not seeing potential for me to play it properly again.

3 Likes

Cleaned up some offtopic chatter

5 Likes